PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Frameless

the gooch
07-14-2007, 14:31
I think I found the perfect mask. I fell in love with the Atomic Frameless when a dive shop owner insisted on me trying his mask while on vacation in Puerto Rico. The mask was perfect. What really shocked me was the actual clarity of the glass they use. I could swear that everything was more "crisp" and the fit was awesome, no leaks during the dive. The only downfall is the price, I can not justify spending almost $100 on a mask.---I say that now but I am sure one will work it's way in to my dive bag. For the meanwhile it's my trusty Tusa Liberator Plus with black skirt.

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:32
funny that you mention this - i've been looking to try this mask for a while now. i'm even more excited!

the gooch
07-14-2007, 14:37
If you know someone that owns one ask to use it. As long as it fits I am sure you will absolutely love it.

Joew
07-14-2007, 15:15
I have the Atomic subframe, and its great. As with any mask, you should try it on before you buy one. The Atomic masks are really low profile, and they might push against the top of your nose or brow. A lot of people that try them have this problem. If they fit you well, I can highly recommend either of the Atomic masks.

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 16:16
is the sub-frame slightly more volume than the frameless?

the gooch
07-14-2007, 17:55
There's only a small number of manufacturers of masks and most of the name brands do not actually manufacture their own masks, they just slap their logo on a generic. Look around. I have two frameless masks, one I paid $29 and one $35. I love both, great field of vision, no leaks, comfortable.

I agree with you except for the case of Atomic. Find me another mask that is exactly the same.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 17:55
Try the Oceanic Shadow. It's <borat> VERY NICE! </borat>

the gooch
07-14-2007, 18:55
I have, and it is. Just something about that Atomic.---

fireman mike
07-14-2007, 21:02
It is a great mask, I also think I don't have on one.

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 22:08
i think there's truth in the fact that name means nothing in a mask. comfort and fit trump everything.

frankc420
07-15-2007, 00:08
I have, and it is. Just something about that Atomic.---

It's not the pretty colors is it?

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 00:20
I have the Atomic subframe, and its great. As with any mask, you should try it on before you buy one. The Atomic masks are really low profile, and they might push against the top of your nose or brow. A lot of people that try them have this problem. If they fit you well, I can highly recommend either of the Atomic masks.

You are right. the subframe doesn't fit me for the reason you just described. The frameless fits me very well however.

przeor
07-18-2007, 02:34
Hey gooch, keep posting and you'll get that mask for half off thanks to the ST guys!

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 19:44
That's it, I am getting the frameless tomorrow... smileys/smiley1.gif

liuk3
07-24-2007, 15:28
I have the atomic frameless, and I've been really happy with it.

ScubyDoo
07-31-2007, 23:53
Personally, I dont think $100 is too much to pay for a really good mask. I've been wanting to try the frameless Atomic for awhile. When I bought my current mask, I had 20/20 vision...That was 6 years ago. I need a new mask now with a prescription lens (so I can read my gauges...lol). Im leaning towards the Atomic frameless...

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 09:53

I have the subframe as well. I know what you're talking about regarding the low profile. Even though it touches the bottom of my nose, I still use it. It's a friggin' awesome mask.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 18:23
I wish they'd seal against my face. Sadly, they just don't fit.

thor
08-03-2007, 21:55

I have the same problem. Anyone try the Atomic frameless medium?

Coaster
08-03-2007, 22:32

Same Problem for me. Is the frameless medium a new offering?

thor
08-03-2007, 22:42
Yes brand new. But haven't seen it in the stores yet. I believe ST carries it

Splitlip
08-03-2007, 23:56

I have. Awsome. I have always had problems with masks. Years ago I used kids masks. Then Sporasub fr diving masks. I have never found a frameless that would fit until the Atomic in medium.
The lense is so close to my face, I am unaware of the skirt. And the view through the lense is crisper.

CompuDude
08-04-2007, 00:36
Interesting. Well, perhaps once my LDS gets one it, I'll try it on and see if it fits.

WaterRat
08-04-2007, 00:38
I've been using the Scubapro frameless. I may have to check this one out.

Ron

TxHockeyGuy
08-04-2007, 00:51
I guess I'm lucky. Every mask I've ever had on (>10) has fit me. I guess I just have one of those faces. :smiley20:

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 09:40
Interesting. Well, perhaps once my LDS gets one it, I'll try it on and see if it fits.

Truly give it a try. I think part of it is the skirt flexibility too.
I want through all the motions before I bought mine. When they first came to the shop, I put it on my face and found it fit, no major gaps and the suck test worked. I put it on hold as they were flying off the shelf. Came back the next day with a regulator and was pleased to see it still fit.

I took it out for a test run on a 15 ft shore dive. I was amazed it fit perfectly.
Finally for the real test, a couple of 80 footers. Still being the doubting Thomas that I am, I took a spare mask in a thigh pocket. Well, that is history now. The mask performed beyond my wildest expectations. One of the best gear purchases I have made.
A word of advise however. The lens needs to be diligently prepped. In fact before I bought it I was told by somebody in the buisiness "it is a great mask but fogs easily and there is nothing you can do about it".
Of course that is not true. I Sea Buffed and polished the lens and it fogged on my 1st checkout even after 4 treatments.
I finally went the tooth paste route (several times) to get it cleaned. I don't think the baby shampoo thing will work.

Travelnsj
08-04-2007, 10:09
Unfortunately the Atomic Frameless and Sub Frame will not fit me....tried both at the LDS and the pool fit great and that field of vision was the best... once below 30' or so leaked big time could not adjust...back to my Scuba Pro and Mares....anybody wish to purchase a one time used Atomic?...LOL

CompuDude
08-04-2007, 10:10
Thanks for the tips.

For me, fogging is never an issue, because all of my masks are prescription. Prescription lenses don't have the same coatings that cause issues with off-the-shelf masks.

WaterRat
08-04-2007, 10:40
Thanks for the tips.

For me, fogging is never an issue, because all of my masks are prescription. Prescription lenses don't have the same coatings that cause issues with off-the-shelf masks.

I don't think you can get the Atomic Frameless in a precription can you?? Looks like my Scubapro frameless where the lens is bonded to the skirt.

Ron

Travelnsj
08-04-2007, 10:56
You can put a prescription in the Atomic Sub Frame.

thor
08-04-2007, 20:34
A word of advise however. The lens needs to be diligently prepped. In fact before I bought it I was told by somebody in the buisiness "it is a great mask but fogs easily and there is nothing you can do about it".
Of course that is not true. I Sea Buffed and polished the lens and it fogged on my 1st checkout even after 4 treatments.
I finally went the tooth paste route (several times) to get it cleaned. I don't think the baby shampoo thing will work.

I used to have the subframe and the same thing happened to me. I used 4 applications of toothpaste and it still fogged. Nice mask though, it just didn't fit right

Longhorn
08-07-2007, 04:39
I had the Atomic Frameless. It was nice but it was too wide for my face. They later came out with a narrow version. I upgraded to the subframe with ARC. Don't ask me if the ARC is worth it. I have to test it out on a colorful reef before I call it a gimmick. The Atomic subframe is awesome with or w/o the ARC coating. I don't have a problem with the screw imprint on my forehead like some do. The volume seems just as low as the frameless. I had to modify my clearing method a little, because of the low profile on my face.

3rdEye
08-07-2007, 09:06
i just got the sub frame, and I love it. fits very comfortably, and doesn't leak for me at all....great downward vision, and great clarity.

H2O Skier
08-19-2007, 16:44
I've had my eye on a new mask for a few months and am seriously considering one of the Atomic models. Yes, they're expensive but I love my other Atomic products and understand that quality really does cost more.

I've tried on the Frameless and SubFrame versions and found that both were very comfortable and seemed to seal well on my face. Now I need to decide which model and whether or not to get the ARC coating.

Other than aesthetics and fit - what are the pros/cons between subframe and frameless that will help me decide which model to buy? Lastly, if you've bought one of the masks w/ ARC - do you think it's a gimmick or great feature?

- Dave.

Travelnsj
08-19-2007, 17:09
I've had my eye on a new mask for a few months and am seriously considering one of the Atomic models. Yes, they're expensive but I love my other Atomic products and understand that quality really does cost more.

I've tried on the Frameless and SubFrame versions and found that both were very comfortable and seemed to seal well on my face. Now I need to decide which model and whether or not to get the ARC coating.

Other than aesthetics and fit - what are the pros/cons between subframe and frameless that will help me decide which model to buy? Lastly, if you've bought one of the masks w/ ARC - do you think it's a gimmick or great feature?

- Dave.

Well I got a Sub frame I wore twice....does not fit on my face...wish it did....best field of vision mask I ever put on....make ya a deal:smiley20:

Bill22
08-20-2007, 00:21
Personally, I dont think $100 is too much to pay for a really good mask. I've been wanting to try the frameless Atomic for awhile. When I bought my current mask, I had 20/20 vision...That was 6 years ago. I need a new mask now with a prescription lens (so I can read my gauges...lol). Im leaning towards the Atomic frameless...

I bought inserts to put in my mask. Basically a small lens to act as a bi-focal. Just wash the mask really well, a little warm water, position the lenses, then let dry. Just like bi-focals :-)

Bill22
08-20-2007, 00:26
Unfortunately the Atomic Frameless and Sub Frame will not fit me....tried both at the LDS and the pool fit great and that field of vision was the best... once below 30' or so leaked big time could not adjust...back to my Scuba Pro and Mares....anybody wish to purchase a one time used Atomic?...LOL

How much? Drop me an email. I have to buy everything pretty much online and of course they don't allow their products to be sold online.... pretty dumb if you ask me. If one of their authorized dealers has a website and is going to be doing the servicing on their equipment, then I don't see why this is a big problem.

brandon
08-20-2007, 00:47
I have one and it fits better than any mask I've tried.

Apollo Bio mask fits me pretty good.
Cressi Horizon / Big Eyes both fit well, lost both of them.
Ocean Master Big ass window'd mask also fit decent, gives me a nosebleed if I don't exhale to eliminate mask squeeze. I've kept this mask around for some reason, even though I hate it.

All of the above had slight leaks where I'd get a drop or two of water in the mask throughout the dive, nothing serious. No leaks at all with the Atomic and the first mask I hardly notice while diving.

I like it.

Oh yeah, if you're looking for one... buy it second hand from someone it didn't fit... can get great deals this way. I think I paid $40 for mine, and it looked new when I received it.

-B.

somewhereinla
08-20-2007, 18:34
I love my Atomic frameless. I had a Mares X.Vision before but I couldn't adjust the stripes with thick gloves, so I tried the Atomic... great mask.

ls1mtz
09-27-2007, 14:21
The subframe pushes against my bridge of my nose and forehead but the framless fits perfect. Try both on before picking one.

Clanggedin
09-27-2007, 14:55
I tried on a bunch of masks at the LDS and the frameless/ subframe fit the best on my face. If you think the mask fits a little small they do have a medium version of the mask. My brother picked up a medium and it fits much better on him than the regular did.

REO
10-01-2007, 21:57
I bought an Atomic Frameless at the last Divers' Fair we had in Seattle. It was on sale for $75. It was a good fit out of the water, and in the water it fit really well. I didn't have any problems with mask fogging in Puget Sound with the water temp at 55 degrees. In short, it was the best mask I've ever used.:smiley20:

I was so impressed with the mask I checked out Atomic's other products. I ended up ordering a B2 reg from Atomic. I can't wait to dive with it.

Ron

DLXM Cayman
10-04-2007, 10:51
I have the frameless and have persevered but it often leaks - probably one of the unlucky ones who don't have a good fit as it is great otherwise. I was told to ensure it was not too tight as the skirt can bend allowing water in but that did not change anything unfortunately.

jnelson08
10-23-2007, 14:43
I had the atomic Frameless and like it very much, but for some reason the clear skirt started turning yellow on me. So i bought the atomic subframe with a black skirt and like it even better!! The turning yellow was the only problem that I had with them.... Both are excellent masks!!

WaScubaDude
10-23-2007, 15:33
I bought an Atomic Frameless at the last Divers' Fair we had in Seattle. It was on sale for $75. It was a good fit out of the water, and in the water it fit really well. I didn't have any problems with mask fogging in Puget Sound with the water temp at 55 degrees. In short, it was the best mask I've ever used.:smiley20:

I was so impressed with the mask I checked out Atomic's other products. I ended up ordering a B2 reg from Atomic. I can't wait to dive with it.

Ron

Ditto's from Seattle. We bought two Atomic Aquatics (black) and I can say it is the very best mask I have ever owned. We got black as it acts like a ball cap at the surface in the tropics. ie: keeps the sun out a little. Very nice snug fit, very low profile single lense, no fog, no leak, no even think about the &%$# mask.

WaScubaDude
10-23-2007, 15:36
Hey REO did you win anything at the divers fair??
We got a snorkle bag, shoulder bag, hats, and mask strap cover. No trip to Papa New Guinie (sp?) but lots of fun. My 5yr old daughter had a blast as well.

Defman
10-23-2007, 18:05
I had a regular fit, didn't fit my fat face very well though. Waiting for LDS to get some mediums in to try out, seems like smaller masks (that I tried on) sealed better.

Thisshouldbeme
10-24-2007, 11:48
I had the same issue as Defman, the regular fit didn't fit my fat face very well either, luckily my LDS had a medium in and it fit like a charm.

Thisshouldbeme
10-24-2007, 11:52
WaScubaDude or REO, where is the divers fair in WA. I visit there every year and would like to be able to visit during the fair to make my trip more interesting. By the way, what thickness of wetsuit do you use up there or is it drysuit only?

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:23
I had the atomic Frameless and like it very much, but for some reason the clear skirt started turning yellow on me. So i bought the atomic subframe with a black skirt and like it even better!! The turning yellow was the only problem that I had with them.... Both are excellent masks!!

I also dive with the frameless in black. All clear skirts have the potential to yellow on ya, especially if you leave it in high heat or in the sun.

CompuDude
10-24-2007, 12:28

I also dive with the frameless in black. All clear skirts have the potential to yellow on ya, especially if you leave it in high heat or in the sun.

Or store it in the same bag as neoprene or regulator hoses.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:29
very true, forgot about that. I always store my frameless in the hard case it came in, keeps it from gettin scratched up...though the only way i managed to scratch mine was step on it on a spring dive.

WaScubaDude
10-24-2007, 20:55
WaScubaDude or REO, where is the divers fair in WA. I visit there every year and would like to be able to visit during the fair to make my trip more interesting. By the way, what thickness of wetsuit do you use up there or is it drysuit only?

The big one is with Underwater Sports, google it in Wa and I am sure you will find it. I think Lighthouse has a smaller one as well. A ton o' fun lots of reps and most any question answered. Lots and lots of great prizes. Some great prices on gear as well. I think they had HP steel 100's for $199. Like hot cakes, only hotter.

auvie
10-31-2007, 17:11
Rather than carrying around a case, I tend to just shove my mask into one of my boots... a quick and dirty way to save room and prevent scratching.

RonFrank
10-31-2007, 17:34
I've dove a lot of masks, and I gotta say that the Atomic Frameless is the first mask that gave me mask squeeze (fits like a glove even with my Stach).

I got mine new off of SB from a diver that won it at some Dive Event. For $75 shipped new with the taggers, I jumped on that.

A good mask is one of the most critical things in making diving a more pleasurable experience. Keep an eye out for deals, but IMO just spend the bucks. You *might* be able to use your ScubaToys bucks (assuming you still have them), but then again I think Larry does not like to ship this out as that is in violation of his authorized dealer agreement.

OTOH, a PM may get the job done! :smiley2: I have no idea how strictly they follow the rules in regard to things like this.

couped243
10-31-2007, 18:21
Just throwing in my $0.02. I've been diving the Atomic sub frame for a few years now and the clarity is amazing! I just ordered the frameless and I'm looking forward to diving that next season. I think the $100 is definitely worth it as long as the mask fits you properly.

bubble-head
10-31-2007, 19:17
I've been wanting to try it out too.

couped243
10-31-2007, 19:50
Try one on. If it fits go for it!!!

bobbo8420
11-03-2007, 21:00
I tried the frameless at the LDS and it was too big, but the skirt on the medium seals pretty close to my eyes and it feels awkward... has anyone else had this issue?

WaScubaDude
11-03-2007, 23:03
I tried the frameless at the LDS and it was too big, but the skirt on the medium seals pretty close to my eyes and it feels awkward... has anyone else had this issue?

It really is about the best mask that fits you! People say that but it is very true, cheap or expensive big or small...good seal is the deal. Also make sure to try a mask with a reg in your mouth as that can change how well it seals.

Deep VI
02-21-2008, 00:35
I have a Atomic Sub-frame and I love it. I've now looking into the frameless. Atomic masks are bulletproof.

giortire
02-21-2008, 17:58
This mask is great! The fit is perfect with no leaks. Easy to clear because of the low volume, and it packs really easy.
While I agree that $100 is expensive for a mask, if you have trouble with getting a mask to fit, you may go through 3 or 4 masks, and have more money then this, in masks that are not half as good.

WaScubaDude
02-22-2008, 09:13
We have two Atomic aquatics for sale. Mine fit great at the shop, but with my reg in mouth it lets just a little water in. Back to my old mares for now.
2 Atomic Aquatics frameless masks $70 each plus actual s&H. PM me.

Travelnsj
02-22-2008, 10:07
And I have a new Atomic Sub Frame for sale.

cmburch
03-02-2008, 06:06
I went to 2 different dive shops yesterday. The Atomic frameless is one good looking mask. Luckily it did not fit or I might have bought it. EXPENSIVE. I am now looking for a shop that has the Tilios to try on.

teog
03-03-2008, 00:14
About 6 months ago I tried this mask on and it didnt fit me very well. How ever it is a good looking mask,

jeepbrew
03-03-2008, 22:49
Excellent mask... provides a great view. Unfortunately, it leaked for me on a few occasions. I am not back to my trusty ScubaPro Frameless with no issues.