PDA

View Full Version : Water Talkies- You can talk under water...

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:02
Have anyone of you guys ever tried this. Talk under water with this, kind of like megaphone. It's loud as you yell. Talk privately under water. hahaha... It's small, as small as your regulator mouth piece. And cheap too only $10. http://nexus404.com/Blog/2007/03/19/water-talkies/

coralcrazed
09-19-2007, 22:04
ummmm if that goes in your mouth than where does your reg. go?

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:08
Well it works as you inhale then talk as you exhale. Timing is the key I guess. Something to use just to tell your buddy a few words like, a shark is chasing you, hahaha just kidding. Or something to use if you wanted to yell for Help!!! I need Oxygen!!! Hope it makes sense...

BobArnold8265
09-19-2007, 22:13
Personally I'd prefer not to talk while underwater. It's nice to actually get away from all of the noise !!!

diverdad
09-19-2007, 22:14

REALLY. If you put that in your mouth while under water it will be full of water which you will have to clear by exhailing , replace reg. to get a breath of air. Whoops it filled up with water again. Here we go again.

Not a good idea. That is what slates are for.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:23

REALLY. If you put that in your mouth while under water it will be full of water which you will have to clear by exhailing , replace reg. to get a breath of air. Whoops it filled up with water again. Here we go again.

Not a good idea. That is what slates are for. Hmmm...not exactly. I have seen this working under water. It is just that they resurface for another set of air. You see this is an invention to work under water and the way it was made is that we dont know but as you take your mouth away, yes it's true that water will get in but will actually spelled out quikly as you talk.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:28
Hmmm. but you know what...this gives me an IDEA to invent something like a regulator which can be use both for breathing and talking and probably work as megaphone under water. Kewl, I am gonna be Rich...rich...rich...

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:30
Saves time and faster than writing on a slate. A going to have this patented real quick...

wxboy911
09-20-2007, 08:21
I am sticking with the hand signals and slate until its refined a bit more. When Scuba Diving Magazine does a review then I will take another look.

Charlotte Smith
09-20-2007, 08:29
Believe it or not my buddy can understand what I say through my reg........I don't use full sentences mind you but I do get my point across and I hate carrying a slate...

Capt Hook
09-20-2007, 10:19
There's a gadget without a purpose.

Charlotte Smith
09-20-2007, 10:34
There's a gadget without a purpose.
Just Exactly....:smiley2:

greyzen
09-20-2007, 10:47
if someone gave me one of these I fear it might accidentally become 'lost'

sudnit5
09-20-2007, 11:04
I'll stick with hand signals or write it down

coralcrazed
09-20-2007, 11:25
seems like un-needed task loadng to me. besides I think that sounds made under water will be muffled anyway and useless more than 10 or so feet away. so whats the point? They do have underwater communication masks...

quasimoto
09-20-2007, 12:02
This is why they make full face masks with coms in them. Personally I don't want to hear my DB especially if he is screaming. :D

CompuDude
09-20-2007, 13:49
Still, I'd be curious to try them. We should get a group buy together... at $10, we could pay $1 each, try them, send them on... get a feel for them. I can see how they could be handy at times. Certainly faster to drop your reg, say a phrase or two, and put your reg back in, than write a message out underwater, get your buddy's attention, show them your slate, etc...

greyzen
09-20-2007, 14:28
I do think some kinda self-contained squeeky-toy would be a good invention for attention getting.

Literally just a co2 cart. with an underwater whistle. Nothing too loud, just something designed to alert people in 10'

jo8243
09-21-2007, 00:13
Looks like a gimmick.

WaScubaDude
09-21-2007, 00:48
CompDude count me in. Looks like a kick to try. I remember something similar from years ago that had a rigid mouth piece and a balloon bladder so it would expand as you talked. Looks like this one might have a one-way valve to let xs air out.

mdwestgrl
09-30-2007, 22:40
There are a few times I think they might be fun to try. Nothing I would depend on. My slate is very easy to use also but this would be kinda cool. I would love to have a full face mask with communicators, that would be so cool! Don't have the extra $ right now though, some day.

scuba cat
09-30-2007, 22:50
Seems like the water talkie would be tricky to use, considering you have to put extra effort into making sure you inhale before switching out your reg, etc. I'd say hand signals and the slate are still the way to go. Or if you have the $$, then a full face mask with communicators like mdwestgrl suggested.

datamunk
10-03-2007, 23:43
im actually able to talk and understand what people say w/ regulators in their mouth, if they know how to do it...

reeldive
10-11-2007, 17:20
Remeber the practical dive trick thread? Now any divious minds out there ? Just beware!

RoadRacer1978
10-11-2007, 17:42
Weird idea. Kinda like the ole tin can and string trick........ If I ever really have the need for comms underwater, I'd fork out the money for a real comm set.

But I agree with some others, I like the peacefulness of the underwater world. Wouldn't want that ruined by a bunch of loudmouths underwater...

telmnstr
10-13-2007, 16:36
I hate to say it, but you all have been beat. Years ago in popular science or mechanics there was an review for this odd SCUBA add on. Your regulator mounted to the ... jar looking thing, then the jar looking thing strapped over your mouth. You could then supposedly communicate by talking in a jar. The review said that the bubbles did get in the way a bit.

There was also some other bizzare invention that had a prop that mounted on the tank, and everytime you breathe the air managed to spin the prop or something. Basically a powered scooter that ran off the pressure difference. Maybe if you hold onto a boat and let the prop free flow it could act as a booster pump? Kidding.

Silverlode
10-15-2007, 06:34
This is why they make full face masks with coms in them. Personally I don't want to hear my DB especially if he is screaming. :D

Best post ever in this thread! :smilie39:
Personally, I agree with you. I don't need an added worry about a burst eardrum from incoming screams. :smiley2:

scubamarc
10-15-2007, 09:15
Would this work:

Microphone are so small today. Have a wired microphone right inside the mouth piece of a reg. It is small enough to fit. You will not be able to open your mouth and talk, but we have all tried to talk with the reg in the mouth and that works.

On the other side, have some sort of water proof bluetooth headset to hear the other person.

Aussie
10-15-2007, 09:44
I would like to give it a try. Sick of Humpback whales singing. My mate loves to sing underwater as he is so happy when he's diving. Maybe these things might make him sound better too.

Aussie

Silverlode
10-15-2007, 10:05
I would like to give it a try. Sick of Humpback whales singing. My mate loves to sing underwater as he is so happy when he's diving. Maybe these things might make him sound better too.

Aussie

Haha... will give this a :smiley20: rating too... will the Humpback sit on you when he realises what you call him and write about him? :smilie39:

Seriously though, there must be a better way of communication without potential burst eardrums, or a mouthful of water.

PS. Congrats Aussie for going past the 250 posts mark... what are you going to buy at ST??

CompuDude
10-15-2007, 13:26
Would this work:

Microphone are so small today. Have a wired microphone right inside the mouth piece of a reg. It is small enough to fit. You will not be able to open your mouth and talk, but we have all tried to talk with the reg in the mouth and that works.

On the other side, have some sort of water proof bluetooth headset to hear the other person.

The problem is radio waves don't penetrate water very well. The comm units that exist today have very high power requirements to overcome this limitation. Bluetooth wouldn't cut it.

scubamarc
10-15-2007, 14:45
Would this work:

The problem is radio waves don't penetrate water very well. The comm units that exist today have very high power requirements to overcome this limitation. Bluetooth wouldn't cut it.

ok, forget bluetooth, how bout the microphone in any reg idea?

CompuDude
10-15-2007, 15:33
Would this work:

ok, forget bluetooth, how bout the microphone in any reg idea?

Unless you are a ventriloquist, closing your mouth to vocalize certain letters (think M and P just to start) is going to be tough with a reg in your mouth. That's why all truly effective UW comm gear is designed to work with full face masks, where you don't have a reg in your mouth.

Lone Frogman
10-19-2007, 12:18
I remember something similar from years ago that had a rigid mouth piece and a balloon bladder so it would expand as you talked.

I have one, but a glove works just as well.