PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait to dive...

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:41
Hello ya'll. I have a question. I am too itchy using my gears and stuff. I am newby, will going to have my certificate by 2nd week of Oct. Me and my wife already purchase all the equipment that we need. Like bcd, computer gauges, own tanks, regulators, fins, mask, snorkel and wet suits. The question is, Is there a place which we are allowed to dive and what are the rules? Kind of like to try our gears. Much appreciated if it is around here Dallas, TX area.

scubasavvy
09-19-2007, 22:47
You should be able to try your gear on your cert dives or even at where ever you're taking your course. You need supervision until you get that certification card.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:58
Hmmm...your close but what I mean is, go out there with diving instructors from any place and dive with them. Just pay the fees and your it. Just like what I said, our class is a long shot from now. Just wanted to do something this weekend and try it, kind of like that.

scubasavvy
09-19-2007, 23:05
I think you can do a discovery dive with your gear. Is that what you're saying?

PlatypusMan
09-19-2007, 23:15

I hope that's what he's saying -- if it's something else, then there is a terrible liability issue looming.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:35
Hmmm...what is discovery dive? I know I have ran into a shop that they let you try what it feels like when your diving and they charge less than $50. Kind of like try it before getting into it. Just can't remember cause that was like a year ago and I don't know if they still offer that.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:38

I hope that's what he's saying -- if it's something else, then there is a terrible liability issue looming.

Yup, I know what you mean. Diving without a supervision if your not certified is a big no no...I still have so much things to enjoy in this world I promise you.

diversteve
09-19-2007, 23:44
Actually being non-certified divers, a Discover Dive course is about your only option. And it's likely that you'll have to spend some hours in a classroom before doing one. Not exactly sure if/where you'll find one nearby either since most of them are done in resorts.

You really should just wait until you go through the class and have the proper training. You can hurt or even kill yourself very easily even in a swimming pool using your gear unsupervised or without proper training.

I also would question what idiot let you buy tanks with air in them as mentioned in your other post. You shouldn't have been able to get an air fill without showing a certification card. It's how the dive industry self-regulates itself. If your tanks only have a few hundred psi in them to keep them from being contaminated, that's not enough to even think about diving with.

Wait for the class and learn how to dive correctly. We don't want to read about you in the accidents forum.

finflippers
09-19-2007, 23:44
Unless your instructor is willing to take you in the pool or something, you could break in the mask fins and snorkel and do some snorkeling.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:57
I also would question what idiot let you buy tanks with air in them as mentioned in your other post. You shouldn't have been able to get an air fill without showing a certification card. It's how the dive industry self-regulates itself. If your tanks only have a few hundred psi in them to keep them from being contaminated, that's not enough to even think about diving with.

Wow, this spooks me a little. Actually it's a full tank. When I hooked everything it registered 2800psi. Now, do I have a reason to knock on their head when I get back to them. J/K. But really this woke me up how people don't pay attention on what they are doing. I was already about to try it on my bath tub. Told you, I am too itchy on this. hahaha...But I will take your advice to wait till everything settles and we are all ready after the certification. Thanks a lot...

diversteve
09-20-2007, 00:06
Well you can probably safely try it in the tub.

As long as you continually breathe.

Jacuzzi might be a little too deep though....lol

cyclone
09-20-2007, 00:12
Bwa hahaha... Yep, I am ready I have a spare air with me...:smilie39:

PlatypusMan
09-20-2007, 09:07
...But I will take your advice to wait till everything settles and we are all ready after the certification. Thanks a lot...

In my opinion, you've made a very good call.

The pool will always be there;

The lake will always be there;

The ocean will always be there;

We'd just like to be sure that you will always be there to enjoy all of them!

greyzen
09-20-2007, 10:03
and to add to Platypus's coments.

If they ain't, we got bigger issues than your c-card. :D

diverdad
09-20-2007, 22:11
I sure am glad you have taken the advice from the board it could have been real bad.

cyclone
09-20-2007, 22:16
Wow, this is the best place I've been with. Overwhelmed by the people who cares and the tons of information I'm learning already and I am not even there yet. Big thanks to everyone...

webwidejosh
10-11-2007, 18:04
I sure am glad you have taken the advice from the board it could have been real bad.

Are these trained divers or somebody who just has a bunch of gear? I'm pretty confident a trained diver would do just find without a c-card. You stay within your training it doesn't matter if you have a card or not.

I'm sure I could hit the water and do alright, that's what the shop wants me to do in their pool... A class with 4 people and an instructor nobody is going to keep someone from holding their breath and filling their BC.

It seems like everyone is self-policed in diving. Like most sports with inherent dangers.. rock climbing, sky diving, etc. Any idiot can exceed their training at any time.

TxScubaBear
10-12-2007, 06:40
Safety first my friend.....you'll learn survival skills in class/in the water you may never need- but should you need them, it's just a matter of letting it fall into place. Like driving, diving is a skill that gets better with time as does your skill to survive should anything happen. I think we should always be striving to learn in our sport/hobby as well as enjoying the heck out of it!

Scubastud16
10-12-2007, 17:35
I was much like yourself, all I wanted to do was dive. Get the training, be safe, and dive every weekend after that to make up for all the years you've missed :D

subsur
10-12-2007, 18:02
what's about a pool at LDS if your LDS has it and assuming you bought it from them. Also, if you're not done with your classes, you can try it in the pool during the class but talk to the instructor. if you're talking about going to the open ocean or lake or pond by yourself and try it there. i would not recommend it but it's a free country... what's the rush??? take it easy, anxiety and diving don't go together.