PDA

View Full Version : I am worried about my wife.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 22:54
Newbies we are. All my gears arrived today and played with it a little. I hooked up evrything to test it and let my wife tried breathing with it. All of the sudden she felt funny and started to feel she wanted to throw up. The question is, why is that happen to her? Is the air inside the tank different on what we breath air around us. Or, is there like a taste and kind of like a reaction because the air was contained on a cylinder and passing through hoses. I don't know if she don't like the taste of the plastics and rubber where air passes through. Help please and explain this to me.

finflippers
09-19-2007, 23:06
The air is dryer then the air we breath but other then that it should be the same. If there is a bad taste or smell to the air in the tank then take the tank back to the shop you had it filled at and bring it to their attention.

PlatypusMan
09-19-2007, 23:13
What finflipper said.

What you describe is outside my experience, and I would also recommend that you take the tank as well as the regulator back to the shop and have them look it over and examine it. Something is just not right, and you really need to have it looked into.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:15
Hmmm...What about the hoses? I don't know if she don't like the taste of rubber and plastic. Would you expect a foul odor on the tank? Just like what I said, all our gears are brand new. I have seen the tank sealed on the top before they'd put the connector. So, what do think is the problem?

finflippers
09-19-2007, 23:18
It is possible that the compressor might have a problem and pumping bad air.

Also how long was she breathing on the regulator? was she taking deep full breaths breathing out all the way?

scubasavvy
09-19-2007, 23:23
Mmm...not a doubt in my mind I'd get that stuff checked out ASAP, especially with your course coming up...

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:24
Yeah, you pinned it!!! That's what it is. Everything is new but the air that they put in from the compressor is bad. That woke me up. Yes she was breathing normally and also tried breathing deep then suddenly that happened. I am going to dump all that air now. I just tried it too and yes there is a little funny smell which she probably can taste it better than me, kind of like shes probably too sensitive. Thanks finflippers...

diversteve
09-19-2007, 23:25
If it is a bad fill, have the store clean the tank, not just empty and refill it.

I wouldn't dump the air, leave some in the tank and let them smell/test it. If the bad air has already contaminated the tank, leaving it in won't make it any worse.

Also if you completely drain the tank, it may have to be inspected before being filled. It's never a great idea to completely empty a tank, always leave a couple hundred psi. in it. Unless you're on a plane, then you'll have to empty it and remove the valve so the TSA can inspect inside.

It's also possible that your wife doesn't like the taste of the new rubber/silicone on your new gear. You could try rinsing it in water or even swirling a litle mouthwash around in the 2nd stage. The taste will go away after the first use in the pool.

finflippers
09-19-2007, 23:28
Don't dump the air keep it pressurized and let the shop look at it .

By draining the air out you can let moisture in so you don't want it sitting empty. let the shop do it.

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:30
Did you breathe off the same tank? Any problems? It's pretty unlikely that you were given a bad fill - but it is possible.

It's also possible that your wife doesn't like the taste of the new rubber/silicone on your new gear. You could try rinsing it in water or even swirling a litle mouthwash around in the 2nd stage. The taste will go away after the first time in the pool.

Oh man, you guys are pinning it everytime. Yep, that is what I actually thinking too and just did while reading this. I just soaked the regulator in mouthwash and let her tried it and voilah!!! it's like breathing the fresh air. Thanks guys...

cyclone
09-19-2007, 23:42
I hope one day they offer mint taste air or probably variations like cola taste, strawberry, vanilla, apple and etc... Im serious...that would be cool.. Will definitely benefit people with sensitive to taste.

diversteve
09-19-2007, 23:54
Surprisingly they actually did at one time. Didn't go over very well since it was a safety issue.

Suppose your air had been bad today. The air would have a bad taste but if it were minty fresh, it would've masked the taste and you'd never have known it.

Some years back a seal ruptured on a compressor and a fine mist of oil was pumped into tanks under pressure at a dive resort. When people used the tanks, the oil coated the inside of their lungs. It was like having pneumonia. Afaik no one died, but it put several people in the hospital.

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 21:09
Want minty fresh air? Try using a mint candy in your mouth. This also helps with dry mouth from the dry air.
Good to hear that it seems to have been the rubber that she didn't like.

diverdad
09-20-2007, 21:45
Im glad to hear that it was just the new rubber/silicone smell/taste. It does me the same way, i get in a new car and people say they love that new car smell and it makes me sick to my stomach.

cyclone
09-20-2007, 22:03
Exactly, some people like the smell and some people don't. Yep, chewing a minty fresh gum or candy will do the job too. Good info guys...

coralcrazed
09-20-2007, 22:08
you should be very glad that you did not dive those tanks and noticed the bad air from the tanks. I do think that some people may be more sensitive to the rubber, however, its unlikely that this is the reason tha she got sick. I would not take the air out of the tanks. take it back to the shop and mak them aware of it... I'm not sure why these places don't test the quality of thier air after each fill...

Coaster
09-22-2007, 06:41
Cyclone...so what happened to the air in the tank? Are you still worried about your wife? Did this situation get resolved?

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 13:54
y I would not take the air out of the tanks. take it back to the shop and mak them aware of it... I'm not sure why these places don't test the quality of their air after each fill...

Because they have to send it off to be tested. Would you want to pay $30 for a fill? Not that it would do you any good. You fill and go diving that weekend. Two weeks later you get a notice that the air in your tank was bad.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 16:13
Egads, test each tank..don't think so. You would probably have to sign a waiver that states you won't dive it till the test comes back. Not going to happen.

cyclone
09-22-2007, 18:56
Cyclone...so what happened to the air in the tank? Are you still worried about your wife? Did this situation get resolved?
Everything is alright now. It was the rubber and the taste of the fresh silicone oil. It is brand new. So after soaking it in mouthwash and rinse with fresh water the taste disappears. I'm glad we have an active forum here which I've learned a lot. Thanks again...

plot
09-23-2007, 10:21
Im glad to hear that it was just the new rubber/silicone smell/taste. It does me the same way, i get in a new car and people say they love that new car smell and it makes me sick to my stomach.

i hate that new car smell too... and that freshly armorall'd smell and all that other crap. blah.