PDA

View Full Version : Pre-paid cellular SIM - hard to get now??

Defman
05-20-2012, 17:17
My understanding is that it has become much more difficult to get a cellular pre-paid SIM in MX now, anyone got recent info/details on this? Supposedly a gov crack down on "burner phones" kinda of deal.

I'm on a pre-paid plan and my provider doesn't roam in CZM, and temporarily changing to an international plan isn't an option for me either.

mcr0112
05-20-2012, 18:57
Check with trac fone. abuddy told me they work in MX. get one for $10 and then buy your minutes. I'm going to check on it for my cruise.

Defman
05-20-2012, 23:56
I found this site to be helpful. It looks like AT&T GoPhone or Cricket are the best options, I think I'll likely go AT&T so I can use my T-mobile phone after I get it unlocked or one of the other more "disposable" T-mobile phone I have laying around.

The Roaming Zone - Mexico Cellular Roaming (http://www.roamingzone.com/mexico/)

I'd prefer to have a MX phone number though. I'm going with some friends and the room I am staying in doesn't have a phone, they are staying somewhere else but I don't think they have a phone either (we're going on the cheap this year). So being able to call each other via cellphone while in CZM will come in very handy.

Defman
08-23-2012, 19:56
Answering my own post...

Just got back on Sunday. T-Mobile prepaid didn't work out very well on the island, never got a good signal and was on Movistar when I did. AT&T Prepaid worked great though, better signal than I get in the US via Telcel!! Snagged a SIM on Amazon for <$5 and got a $25 card, way more than I needed at $.25 a minute.

buton
08-24-2012, 07:12
go to OXXO store or even Comercial Mexicana, Chedrahui and buy a cheap $ 300 pesos cellphone it will come with at least $100 pesos of talking time and a SIM card..

Zeagle Eagle
08-24-2012, 07:30
go to OXXO store or even Comercial Mexicana, Chedrahui and buy a cheap $ 300 pesos cellphone it will come with at least $100 pesos of talking time and a SIM card..
300 pesos is about $22 US.

Defman
08-25-2012, 15:53

True, but my understanding (didn't ask when I was there since I didn't need one) is that it isn't quite that simple anymore... there's paperwork...