PDA

View Full Version : breathing...

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:38
obviously one of the best ways to control your buoyancy is by breathing, but do you prefer having full lungs, empty lungs, medium... whatever.

i find that i have great control over my buoyancy with breathing, and that i prefer to have relatively full breaths. how does everyone else compare?

Queen
07-14-2007, 14:48
Normal breathing when I'm diving is long slow full breaths, if I need to change my buoyancy a little more than usual I just inhale or exhale a little more.

plot
07-14-2007, 18:55
For some reason scubatoys signed me up for this scuba diving magazine, and according to the latest issue of it that I received, a normal in-out breath fluctuates your bouyancy by about one pound... fully exhaled vs. fully inhaled makes it fluctuate about 10 lbs.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I try to keep mine in the middle, normally I find myself fully exhaling if I'm trying to descend or if I'm ascending faster than I want to be.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>also, the less air in your lungs, the less your BC has to compensate for... theoretically making bouyancy easier... kind of the same effect as being overweighted I guess.</DIV>

Apekscor
07-15-2007, 05:40
I prefer long deep breaths. Keeps my buoyancy stabile.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 08:18
All I know is that I breathe 6 times a minute. I'd like to get it down a bit more, probably can by breathing slightly deeper. I'd say mine is a medium breath with excursions to manage a slight depth change.

DirtyWaterIL
07-15-2007, 10:40
I prefer to stay slightly negative so that I have to hold a full lungfull of air to be neutral, that way to decend a few feet I just let a little out, and to go up i just inhale and kick up a little. After a while you just sort of move up and down int he water without even thinking about it.

TAH 73
07-19-2007, 19:31
Agree with ReefHound, a medium breath, with that you can fine tune buoyancy, especially in shallower waters
<DIV></DIV>One of the coolest things i did was in my OW course years ago they had an obstacle course set up underwater that you went through and the idea was to adjust your position in the water just by the way you were breathing.
<DIV></DIV>

przeor
07-20-2007, 04:41
Medium here, and we used and obstacle course in Peak Performance Bouyancy- had to swim through hula hoops, triangles of PVC, etc. etc.using only our breath to control our position. That was a fun class and really helped our techniques.

deepdiver47
08-08-2007, 08:05
long deep breaths and hold with a pause. A pause being an open diaphragm which is different than holding your breath

oab2
08-10-2007, 16:46
All I know is that I breathe 6 times a minute. I'd like to get it down a bit more, probably can by breathing slightly deeper. I'd say mine is a medium breath with excursions to manage a slight depth change.

Hmm, That seams to be on the verge of holding your breath. Normal adult rate is 12-20.

reservecops
08-10-2007, 16:57

Hmm, That seams to be on the verge of holding your breath. Normal adult rate is 12-20.Not really. By increasing the amount of time you take exhaling, you can easily average 6 or so breathes per minute without "holding your breath". If you take 3 or 4 seconds to inhale, but exhale at a much slower rate (6-7 seconds), you're at 6 breathes per minute without ever holding your breath.

Remember, "breathe continuously" doesn't necessarily mean that you have to breathe IN an equal amount of time you breathe OUT.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 23:13
You could also say 5 seconds in and 5 seconds out. That's 10 seconds per breath. There's 60 seconds in a minute and so 60/10 is 6.

It's not a slow rate either, most of my buddies are about the same if you watch their bubbles. If I want to change buoyancy I either breathe off the top of bottom of my lungs so to speak. IE start from a more empty state or more full state of lung volume.

snagel
08-11-2007, 09:52
Great question.. During my last dive I started thinking about how do I breathe? Sometimes you think of the strangest things. Do I typically swim with a empty lung taking in a breath when I need it or do I typically swim with a full lung exhaling as needed and immediately filling my lung back up. I really don't know, because once I started thinking of this, my autopilot was gone and I was thinking too much.

S. Nagel

paintballindivr
08-12-2007, 20:02
i like long deep breaths and slow exhales...this helps with buoyancy and air consumption

JugglingMonkeys
08-12-2007, 21:02
of course, we learned that the cardinal sin is holding your breath.

but while working on buyancy using breathing, it's hard to not hold your breath - at least for a little while.

what's the time limit here before it starts getting dangerous?

plot
08-12-2007, 21:28
of course, we learned that the cardinal sin is holding your breath.

but while working on buyancy using breathing, it's hard to not hold your breath - at least for a little while.

what's the time limit here before it starts getting dangerous?

just don't hold it while ascending, the air in your lungs expands as you ascend and if you're holding your breath you risk overexpansion of your lungs. not a good thing. :smiley2:

Otherwise, you should be fine as long as you arn't getting crazy with it.

torrey
08-12-2007, 22:05
Normal breathing when I'm diving is long slow full breaths, if I need to change my buoyancy a little more than usual I just inhale or exhale a little more.

This is basically what I do also

AqueousSapien
08-13-2007, 00:24
I seem to take deep breathes and then do a long exhale, but as for my timing I am not really sure.
Next time I'm in the water I'll count it out. :)

Phestr
08-13-2007, 01:27
One of the coolest things i did was in my OW course years ago they had an obstacle course set up underwater that you went through and the idea was to adjust your position in the water just by the way you were breathing.

This sounds awesome. I can think of a few people around here that could benefit from this, myself included. As for my breathing, I like to make sure there is no air in my BC, and I do alot of depth changes just with breath. It's mostly for proactice, but it makes my breathing variable. I do try to breath as deeply as possible, depending on whether I', stable, ascending, or descending.

I have also heard that it's not necessary to keep breathing as long as you keep your airway open. Is that true?

comet24
08-13-2007, 07:34
Long slow breaths here.