PDA

View Full Version : pics of other gear attachments

mpd525
09-19-2007, 22:58
What i mean by this is, instead of using just regular ol' retractors or clips, what other ways are you guys clipping your lights, cameras, consoles, slates and things like that. I've seen the thread were one person used ropes and regular bolt snaps, but i was looking for some other ideas. I thought about using bolt-snaps and surgical tubing, and using it somewhat like a retractor because the tubing is stretchy. So let's see what you got.

Aussie
09-19-2007, 23:11
Stainless or brass bolt snaps, cable ties, bike tyre tubes cut up.

Sorry no pics yet

Aussie.

NightLife
09-19-2007, 23:22
double sides snaps :smiley20:

Vercingetorix
09-20-2007, 12:06
Snaps zip-tied to equipment,camera, accessories, and hoses. No retractors. No suicide clips.

I always carry my secondary light zip-tied/clipped to left shoulder D-ring.The light is then held to harness (Hog) with surgical tubing. For the primary light, when carried, I use one of these (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) hanging from the right shoulder D-ring. SPG clipped to left hip D-ring. Slate clipped to right shoulder and tucked under harness. SMB and finger spool clipped to ass D-ring on crotch strap.

crpntr133
09-20-2007, 19:57
I have used these clips on my video rig. They work a bit better when wearing gloves. I will probably use these on my pony's when I get around to buying more.

plot
09-23-2007, 13:06
My buddy uses stainless steel clips and cut up bicycle tubes to bungie the stuff down. works REALLY well. I plan on adopting alot of it.

no pics though, sorry.

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 17:46
Bicycle tube and the clips that crpntr133 posted. I love those and you can get them at most hardware stores.
The bike tube you might talk to a bike shop about. I ended up get one for free since it already had a hole in it. If the shop is hesitant just throw in that they can even cut it in half. Believe me a little goes a long way. The ones that I like best are the ones that are used for the fat tired little kids bikes...but any would do.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 16:52
Stainless Steel bolt snaps connected via cave line, double enders, 3/16" bungee/shock cord, and rubber bands from mountain bike tire inner tubes. Coil lanyard for my camera... one end is a bolt snap, the other a stainless steel split ring.

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/dir/Thumb_IMG_0226.JPGhttp://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/dir/Thumb_IMG_0221.JPGhttp://diveriteexpress.com/library/img/boltsnap/tie6.jpg

See also: http://diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

Vercingetorix
09-24-2007, 17:01
CompuDude, why not use zip-tie?

scubasavvy
09-24-2007, 17:06
I think salt water would make a zip tie rigid after a while and a little easier to break. Maybe that's just me, though.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 17:44

Zip ties break, usually when you least expect it. They're quite strong in some aspects, but any sort of twisting will break them quite easily. Cave line has a proven track record, is just as strong, more durable, just as easy to cut if you do need to remove it, and wear can been seen more easily, giving you the option to replace before imminent breakage.

ScubaToys Larry
09-26-2007, 10:09
giving you the option to replace before imminent breakage.

Man it's so cool to have someone with a college education here... Imminent Breakage... Great Line! :smiley20:

And He's 100% right. Tie wraps are good for static things that don't twist. If you want to attach a knife to a BC, a few zip ties work great. Or obviously, a mouthpiece to a reg, an inflator end on a BC. No twisting going on there, but if you used them on a clip to a gauge, and tried to rotate the gauge, they pop pretty easy!

Splitlip
09-26-2007, 11:31
Cave line because of what compudude said, Except...
I zip tie a bolt snap to an o-ring wrapped around my primary 2nd stage. I WANT that one to break away.

CompuDude
09-26-2007, 11:54
Cave line because of what compudude said, Except...
I zip tie a bolt snap to an o-ring wrapped around my primary 2nd stage. I WANT that one to break away.

Controversial choice, but you know that. :smiley2: Plenty of people on both sides of that argument.

rfreddo
09-26-2007, 12:15
At the risk of opening up a can of worms, can someone shed light on the controversy referenced in the CompuDude / Splitlip dialogue?

Thanks!

CompuDude
09-26-2007, 13:11
At the risk of opening up a can of worms, can someone shed light on the controversy referenced in the CompuDude / Splitlip dialogue?

Thanks!

It's pretty simple, actually, and not that big of a deal (here... and to me).

There are endless debates on ScubaBoard over whether the attachment should be solid, to eliminate any possibility of losing your reg once it is clipped off, or a "tear-free" attachment, so it holds most of the time, but in an emergency can be pulled on hard and it will pop free.

Those in the "solid attachment" camp are comfortable with the fact that a standard cave line+bolt snap can be cut free when you want, but has nearly zero risk of breaking (o-rings in particular can degrade and die with little warning) when you don't want it to. Losing your reg can be both a huge entanglement risk and a regular "OMG where is my reg?" risk.

OTOH, those in the "tear free attachment" camp are comfortable with the strength of the connection, and (hopefully) inspect it regularly for signs of degradation/age. They prefer to be able to free a caught reg with a sharp tug should an entanglement occur.

Both sides have legitimate arguments, valid points, and valid concerns, so it comes down to individual (and team) choice. I believe the GUE/DIR answer is to use cave line, but once upon a time, they were fine with the o-ring method splitlip mentioned, so clearly this is one of those many grey areas.

I prefer the cave line method (obviously), but I have no problem if someone else prefers the o-ring method. I'm considerably less of a fan of the zip tie method (except for emergency field repairs, perhaps) ... but I'm not the boss of you. :)

ccarter
09-26-2007, 13:13
There are endless debates on ScubaBoard

I think that would have sufficed for a reply.. :smiley2:

ianr33
09-26-2007, 13:44

Because its not DIR. :smiley36:

CompuDude
09-26-2007, 15:10

Neither am I, so that's not it. :smiley2:

mm_dm
09-26-2007, 15:36

Neither am I, so that's not it. :smiley2:

Would it be that time not spent screwing around with your gear after a dive is time well saved? Couldn't help but notice your post on another forum regarding post dive procedures.
:smiley2:

texdiveguy
09-26-2007, 16:08

IMO....and $1.50 will get you a coffee......

Good quality zip tie works fine....I do have wreck line attaching my clip to my Photon Torpedo back-up light and goodman handle on my wreck canister....the zip tie would not fit thru the light attachment hole. Either line or zip ties....persl. pick.

As reported above regarding twisting and breaking.....that is the reason I use them...no need to cut them with a knife in event of an entanglement....I have never had one come loose on its own.

Splitlip
09-26-2007, 21:31

Thanks!

It's pretty simple, actually, and not that big of a deal (here... and to me).

There are endless debates on ScubaBoard over whether the attachment should be solid, to eliminate any possibility of losing your reg once it is clipped off, or a "tear-free" attachment, so it holds most of the time, but in an emergency can be pulled on hard and it will pop free.

Those in the "solid attachment" camp are comfortable with the fact that a standard cave line+bolt snap can be cut free when you want, but has nearly zero risk of breaking (o-rings in particular can degrade and die with little warning) when you don't want it to. Losing your reg can be both a huge entanglement risk and a regular "OMG where is my reg?" risk.

OTOH, those in the "tear free attachment" camp are comfortable with the strength of the connection, and (hopefully) inspect it regularly for signs of degradation/age. They prefer to be able to free a caught reg with a sharp tug should an entanglement occur.

Both sides have legitimate arguments, valid points, and valid concerns, so it comes down to individual (and team) choice. I believe the GUE/DIR answer is to use cave line, but once upon a time, they were fine with the o-ring method splitlip mentioned, so clearly this is one of those many grey areas.

I prefer the cave line method (obviously), but I have no problem if someone else prefers the o-ring method. I'm considerably less of a fan of the zip tie method (except for emergency field repairs, perhaps) ... but I'm not the boss of you. :)

Yup, that's about it. In the "what if" scenario I envision...I am going to deploy my DSMB. I detune my primary and clip it off while I breath of my alternate and fiddle with the bag. Somebody needs a reg.....

I use cave line for everything else. Light, SPG, folding knife in a pocket...

JahJahwarrior
09-27-2007, 19:04
I suck at knots and don't think I have figured out the "cave knot," but it works, so I'm happy. I use cave line and bolt snaps.

Then again, what do I have to clip off? An SPG, a light (currently has a suicide clip, I used the bolt snap off of it for something else and in the meantime have needed to take the light to go diving, so I grabbed a suicide clip, and I keep forgetting to pick up another brass boltsnap when I'm getting air), and a spool. (spool has a double ender on it). My regulator is on a surgical tubing bungee, so I don't need to clip it off or worry about whether to use a ziptie, cave line, or a combination of those and a bungee. (when I didn't use a bungeed backup, I used a snorkel holder to hold my safety second, I've never had a boltsnap on it) On the occassion where I do carry a slate, I clip it like Vercing....(I know there is more to the name and I probably spelled it wrong...).

There really aren't that many innovative ways to clip things off...there are only a few types of clips, and only a few ways to attach the clip to the object...

To keep things in place, some people use bike tires, other people use shock cord. If you use bike tire tube stuff on your hog harness, and it breaks, you have to unthread part of your harness to replace it. With that in mind, I just use loops of shock cord. Bike tire stuff works really well, and I might shoul have put them on and replaced them with shock cord when they broke. Oh well.

Splitlip
09-27-2007, 21:08
If you use bike tire tube stuff on your hog harness, and it breaks, you have to unthread part of your harness to replace it.

That is a very good point. If you do go with the inner tube, put some "spares" on the harness so should one break, just slide another into battery.

ianr33
09-28-2007, 15:44
I keep forgetting to pick up another brass boltsnap when I'm getting air),

Brass boltsnaps suck. The edge of the groove that the slider moves in tends to develop razor sharp edges over time. These are excellent for slicing waterlogged thumbs.

Stainless snaps are more expensive but well worth it.

And they look prettier as well.

CompuDude
09-28-2007, 16:28

Brass boltsnaps suck. The edge of the groove that the slider moves in tends to develop razor sharp edges over time. These are excellent for slicing waterlogged thumbs.

I agree. Buy them (SS snaps) on sale, and build up your collection over time, if it's too much all at once. If you can't afford an extra snap here and there, you're in the wrong sport...

fire diver
09-28-2007, 17:01
If you use bike tire tube stuff on your hog harness, and it breaks, you have to unthread part of your harness to replace it.

That is a very good point. If you do go with the inner tube, put some "spares" on the harness so should one break, just slide another into battery.

That's why I don't use tire tubes. If I need to secure something like a backup light on my harness, I tie it down with a piece of bungie cord. Easy to replace if it breaks, I can make it the perfect size, cheap.

FD

fire diver
09-28-2007, 17:03

I think you may have just solved a problem of mine. I have been getting my right thumb cut like a mofo on some dives. Sharp enough that I don't even feel it. Just look down and see blood dripping. I have SS snaps, but one could have sharp edge in that channel.

FD

cyclone
09-28-2007, 21:51
How cool it is when some of my gear in the army works as well on my gear for scuba. This is a lanyard for my pistol works good as well on my flashlight. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q67/derick_sharpeye/lanyard.jpg

mpd525
09-28-2007, 23:17
so i guess i'm stupid, but do you tie the inner tube to the snap and then the specific piece of gear, or what. I'm liking the rope idea myself.

If i could only figure out how in the world you tied that knot.

CompuDude
09-28-2007, 23:31
so i guess i'm stupid, but do you tie the inner tube to the snap and then the specific piece of gear, or what. I'm liking the rope idea myself.

If i could only figure out how in the world you tied that knot.

So, you missed the link at the bottom of my post?
http://diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

The innertube, if you cut slices, just gives you heavy duty black rubber bands.

The rubber bands go on your harness straps. (Several, ideally, so you have spares)

Clip the bolt snap on the one of of the light to a d-ring, use the rubber band to hold the other end close to the harness. Simple, rugged and streamlined.

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/scout-attachment.jpg

skdvr
09-29-2007, 08:30
How cool it is when some of my gear in the army works as well on my gear for scuba. This is a lanyard for my pistol works good as well on my flashlight. http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q67/derick_sharpeye/lanyard.jpg

So why do you carry a pistol under water? I need to get me one of those.:smilie39:

cyclone
09-29-2007, 19:01
:smiley20::smiley2::smiley17:

WaScubaDude
09-29-2007, 19:25

So why do you carry a pistol under water? I need to get me one of those.:smilie39:

I dove with Judge Joe Brown in Jamaica. He told me stories about shooting his Glock underwater.

On a myth busters. I think they figured that he could shoot a gun may be 6 feet under water.

comet24
09-29-2007, 21:03

I dove with Judge Joe Brown in Jamaica. He told me stories about shooting his Glock underwater.

On a myth busters. I think they figured that he could shoot a gun may be 6 feet under water.

While the gun will fire underwater your don't want to be underwater yourself when you fire it. Concussion from the shot will wreck your ears.

cyclone
09-29-2007, 21:07
Yep. of all the guns that we have tested too. It's the glock pistol that only fires and cycles another round. My service pistol is Walther P99 and hate to admit it that it's not good as Glock in terms of under water shooting. But I am not looking forward being as a combatant under water. I'll leave it to the Navy's and enjoy Scuba whenever I'm under water. Bwa hahaha

CARDIVER
09-29-2007, 23:33
You better be REALLY close if you want that round to do anything but sink underwater. It's not like the old James Bond movies.....