PDA

View Full Version : canon housing

chewyjr15
09-19-2007, 23:57
can a strobe be atached to a canon housing?

diversteve
09-20-2007, 00:18
What some people do is fire their strobes using a slave trigger. It's a fiber optic cable that you mount in front of your camera's flash that fires the external strobe when it sees the flash from your camera.

To reduce backscatter - the reason you'd buy an external strobe - you then do some sort of blacking out of the camera's flash.

Inon sells a film kit for this purpose that attaches to your camera's flash and blocks all visible light but lets the infrared through to fire the strobe. A photo pro at our LDS told my buddy to just use electrical tape and leave a small hole in front of the fiber optic cable end.

My dive buddy has an A620 in the Canon WP? housing. He just shot it last month with the Sealife SL960D strobe and had better results than using his on-camera flash. The D model the ability to deal with the pre-flash on most popular point/shoot cameras also. Although as I recall, we were able to turn it off on his camera. PM if you'd like to see an example of what you can expect from this setup.

I have another buddy who shoots Inon strobes with a Canon G6 in an Ikelite housing. He uses the Inon film.

chewyjr15
09-20-2007, 00:30
im thinking of the sea and sea ys 90 or inon d2000 for my strobe but please email me some picks of your freinds setup my email ie Joerubinstein@gmail.com

thanks

diversteve
09-20-2007, 00:45
You're definitely looking at better strobes than my buddy.

I meant what sort of results you can expect. The flash is this one:
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/accessories/digital_flash.html

It just screws to the bottom of the housing and I believe he epoxied the fiber optic fitting directly to the front of his housing - it's just a small piece of opaque plastic.

Here's a picture taken with it. All I did was bump both the brightness and contrast up +10 in Photoshop.
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/9/2/shark.jpg

Phestr
09-20-2007, 06:28
Okay, very cool pic no matter what strobe you used.

Anyway, I have the same housing (with an a610 in it), and I bought a cheap SnapSights strobe that is slave linked, but no cable. As stated, the arm just screws on the bottom. All you really need to look for s slave link. The preflash thing is true, most Canons can turn it off, but you still want a strobe that can deal with it. Other than that, the sky's the limit.

Vercingetorix
09-20-2007, 10:59
diversteve, thanks for that info. I just recently bought a Canon A630 and a Canon housing. I've been using built-in flash. I think I now know what I want on my Christmas list, Sealife SL960D.

jo8243
09-20-2007, 14:10
Will the pre-flash most digicams have cause the strobe to trigger to early?

DevilDiver
09-20-2007, 15:06
diversteve, thanks for that info. I just recently bought a Canon A630 and a Canon housing. I've been using built-in flash. I think I now know what I want on my Christmas list, Sealife SL960D.

Before you go and sit on Santa's lap here is something to consider. The Sea & Sea Y 15 is a far better strobe compaired to Sealife. It slaves to the camera without needing the cable and the recycle time is way faster than the Sealife. Although the tray and arm do not come with it they are extra.

You mat have read about shutter lag being an issue with some P/S cameras well if you have to wait 30-45 sec. for the flash to recycle you will really flip out...
I'm not saying the Sealife is not a good product but when it comes to strobes the Sea & Sea is something worth looking at.
Hope this helps.....

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/cameras/pics/sl960D.jpg (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SL960D)

Sealife Digital Strobe SL960D

Scuba divers know that a strobe is the most important accessory for sharp, colorful pictures. Water absorbs the red and yellow light spectrum resulting in blue pictures. The powerful SeaLife Digital Flash causes the intense colors of coral and fish to "explode" . Even two flashes can be easily mounted to all cameras.

Universal Underwater Flash for all digital cameras
5 pre-flash cancellation settings for use with most digital cameras.
Variable brightness control for better image exposure.
Flash Link optical cable connection included
Includes universal mount to adapt all SeaLife cameras and other underwater camera housings with tripod mount.
Flexible, rubberized arm for easy aiming and sure grip.
Effective underwater distance range from 2 to 8 feet (0.6 to 2.5m)
Depth rated to 200 feet (60m)
20 Guide number
Deluxe carry case included.

A Thread in our Forum Discusses the 960 & 960D strobes! (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=31113&posted=1#post31113)

Price: $299.00http://www.scubatoys.com/store/cameras/pics/SeaandSea/ys15.jpgSea & Sea YS 15 Auto Strobe

The Sea & Sea YS 15 Auto Strobe is an ultra-compact auto-slave strobe designed specifically for digital cameras. The Sea & Sea YS 15 Auto Strobesynchronizes with or without an optional fiber-optic cable to your digital camera's built-in flash.

Specifications:

Guide number: 12 (ISO 100 / m) (land, at full power)
Coverage angle: 70 X 55
Battery life: 200 flashes (alkaline battery at full power), 250 flashes (2400 mAh Ni-MH
battery at full power), 500 flashes (Oxyride battery at full power)
Color temperature: 5,600K (5,300K with diffuser)
Battery requirement: 2 X AA alkaline (6 V), Oxyride (6 V) or Ni-MH (4.8 V) batteries
Depth rating: 60 m / 200 ft
Dimensions (W X H X D): 65 X 91 X 111 mm / 2.6 X 3.6 X 4.4 inch
Weight: Approx. 280 g / 9.9 oz (- 8 g / 0.3 oz underwater)
Controls: OFF, Slave Auto (pre-flash cancellation), Slave Auto (syncs the first flash)
Compatible fiber-optic cable: Fiber-optic cable for YS-25
Auto function operating range: 1.5 ~ 4.3 m / 5 ~ 14 ft (on land)
Aperture value setting for auto exposure photography: fixed 2.8 f
Equipped with pre-flash mode
Over-pressure relief valve
Double O-ring (battery case)Includes:
Diffuser
2x AA alkaline batteries
Fixing arm bolt
O-ring
Silicone grease
1 Year warranty
Sold YS 15 head alone, or with the Sea Arm Light! (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=seaarmlight)

Sea & Sea YS 15 Auto Strobe - Underwater Cameras

Price: $304.95

chewyjr15
09-20-2007, 16:03
so should i get the ys15 looks like a nice setup, when you get it with the tray and everythingi it is 380 does this include the fiber optic cable?

any reviews on anyone having this or using it?

thanks

diversteve
09-20-2007, 16:17
The difference for my buddy was that his was a Christmas present so $250 was the upper limit from his mother-in-law. And LP has it for $249, not sure if ST can match that price.

Recycle time is a factor. We timed the SL960D at around 10-14 secs. recycle time depending on battery condition and power setting.

For $130 more, I'd probably buy the Sea&Sea if I did photography. Actually I'd probably by a better Inon instead. But not for $250...

Vercingetorix
09-21-2007, 15:18
DevilDiver, good info on the YS 15. The down-side is that I have to buy the arm extra ($150). ST makes it affordable by selling the flash and arm for $380. I just don't know if Santa is that generous. I may have to start saving.

The next question if I should decide to buy this: do you have a spare bedroom or a couch that folds-out because I'll be crashing at your place? Also, if you can recommend a good divorce lawyer, that would be appreciated as well.

DevilDiver
09-21-2007, 15:24
DevilDiver, good info on the YS 15. The down-side is that I have to buy the arm extra ($150). ST makes it affordable by selling the flash and arm for $380. I just don't know if Santa is that generous. I may have to start saving.

The next question if I should decide to buy this: do you have a spare bedroom or a couch that folds-out because I'll be crashing at your place? Also, if you can recommend a good divorce lawyer, that would be appreciated as well.

Ha.. There is no such thing as a "Good Divorce Lawyer"! No problem... If the sock is on the doorknob you will have to sleep in the car. (Guy rule # 17):smiley20:

Bill22
09-24-2007, 02:53

I have the same camera. I went for the Ikelite housing and a Ikelite DS125 substrobe. I know a lot of money.... but hey I'm single ;-) Might be worth saving for though. I think this will be more than adequate until I'm ready to upgrade to DSLR and the strobe will work well with a DSLR so I won't be replacing that to. Long term it will be less money.