PDA

View Full Version : Cayman trip

BUDMAN
06-03-2012, 15:12
wife picked Grand cayman for our next trip in November (something to do with pirates).

I've looked at some of the threads for this island and found some great info but if there is anything else I need to know please share.

staying in West Bay diving with Indigo divers.

need a lot of info on what to do topside. best places to eat reasonably priced and best beaches (is Rum Point really as nice as the pictures?).

on the photo side more macro or wideangle ?

going to take my 10-24mm and 60mm this time.

any experience flying out of Atlanta on Delta? (never been there)

Thanks

BUDMAN
06-03-2012, 15:13
oh yeah what about the kittiwake dive?

diversteve
06-06-2012, 06:21
if there is anything else I need to know please share.As you've probably realized, everything there is really expensive - the CI$ is fixed at .80/U.S.D.

Cayman Activities | Cayman Island Activities, Caribbean Destinations (http://www.caymanislands.ky/activities.aspx) lists other non-dive things to do.
We rent cars from Andy's at the Airport. It's a short walk across the airport parking lot. They also have a location on SMB. And will pick you up if you only want a car part of the time.

If you're going to shop downtown it's best where there aren't 2-3 cruise ships moored in the harbor...Since everyone is tendered in, the area around the cruise port downtown is very congested. You can find out what's in here: Ship Schedules (http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php)

If you plan to do any shore diving, you either rent tanks from the on-site facility - most of the better dives have one or you can get tanks from Divers Supply in West Bay. Most dive operators - even those with shore dive options - won't let you take tanks off-property - it's one of the quirks of Cayman diving - they don't get a lot of demand for it so no one does it. Eden Rock downtown also has a 24hr. rental program. You also can't bring tanks on-site at any site with an established dive operator.

best places to eat reasonably priced
The Hard Rock Cafe downtown has a nice view of the port - the restaurant is upstairs with big glass windows.

Rackams is pretty reasonably priced. So is Chicken! Chicken!

Macabuca (Tiki Bar at the Cracked Conch) does a few entrees/sandwiches etc. Cracked Conch is much more expensive. You can also shore dive there - it's on Turtle Reef - one of the better shore dives in that area. Sundivers is there for tank rentals. Macabuca will have live music on Fri. night. Depending on where you're staying in West Bay - it's nearby.

The other two good shore dives in that area are Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast - both have Divetech facilities on-site.

Seaharvest Restaurant at Sunset House is fairly reasonable also. They also do an Indian Curry option. I think you can also get the same menu at My Bar while enjoying the night air. My Bar also has excellent sandwiches. It's one of the diver's bars on GC.
Decent dive also if you wanted to make an afternoon of it. Also visit the Cathy Church school/photo gallery on-site while there.

Grand Cayman Islands Restaurants Guide (http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/) lists most of your options.
You can also see menus/prices here: Grand Cayman Restaurants Guide for Cayman Islands Restaurants (http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/) Search by food type and it will compare all the options.

snagel
06-06-2012, 07:26
Sounds like a fun trip, can't wait to here about your adventure. Never been to Cayman. We talk about it every year, but it's a little out of our price range.

Snagel

BUDMAN
06-25-2012, 21:26
after reading a lot of reviews i'm kind of wondering how much to budget for food while in GC. normally we do $100 US a day for the 2 of us.

the place we are staying is a B&B so breakfast is covered (not that I will get it since I have to leave early to catch the boat)

we normally only eat one meal a day besides breakfast in the late afternoon. not much on alcohol me 1-2 beers wife doesn't drink.

think $100/ day will cover it?

also I keep on reading how expensive it is but with flight/food/diving/B&B for 6 days we are going to come in around $1500pp so it seems to me about the same as Curacao.

BUDMAN
06-25-2012, 21:42
forgot to ask anyone ever been to GC during Pirate Week?

it's one of the main reasons we are going in November (wife is thinking Pirates of the Caribbean type thing)

snagel
06-25-2012, 21:47
Not bad prices...what we looked at last year was way more than that. What about the diving - expensive???

Snagel

BUDMAN
06-25-2012, 22:00
same price as Curacao for boat diving.

Zeagle Eagle
06-26-2012, 05:38
It's going to be tough to get by on $100 a day for food unless you like chicken nuggets.

BUDMAN
06-26-2012, 06:58
what part of the chicken do nuggets come from?:smiley36:

well we have to spend what we have to spend I'm just a little anal about budgeting so I may go to $150/day when on the island. We have 1.5 travel days so I figure on eating in Atlanta airport both going and coming back so that should br a little cheaper.

chinacat46
06-26-2012, 07:27
Monday
Almond Tree All you can eat lobster tails
Bid Daddy's Steak special
Lone Star All you can eat fajitas

Tuesday
Cracked Conch All you can eat conch
West Bay Polo Club Sushi specials

Wednesday
Almond Tree All you can eat fish
Big Daddy's All you can eat ribs