PDA

View Full Version : Pole Spear

the gooch
07-14-2007, 14:45
Anyone use one? How hard are they to start out with and what kind of fish can you reliably land with them. I was looking at purchasing one to start out with before jumping in to a spear gun with not having a clue about spearing fish.

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 14:48
i used one in the bahamas (snorkeling only) the slings are fun, but take some getting used to. after some practice I was alright, but ive never used a spear gun...

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 22:50
http://www.spearfishing.com/

Bwana
07-14-2007, 23:16
I usethe JBL 3 piece travel pole spear. It breaks down and is 23 inches long, great for travel. I have shot every thing from Hog fish, grouper to large jacks this mine.It is probably one of the easiest to use that I've found. It is tapered and can be filled with water for morepunch. the band is also adjustable for more or less power. Almost all pole spears come with a 3 tyip paralizer whichis almost useless and a rock tip. You will use the rock tip a lot, buy extras. For large fish use a breakaway tip. Pole spears are easy to use, but you must get close. Good luck.

the gooch
07-15-2007, 21:10
So those paralyzer tips are no good huh? Thanks for the info. I have heard other people mention the JBL 3 piece. hmmmmm I do have a birthday coming up, maybe that will be my gift to myself.

przeor
07-16-2007, 00:47
Anyone have any good websites that have a video of how to/someone using a pole spear? I thought it would be fun to try and learn to use one around here.. something to keep the dives fun in the lake.

Hex92
08-03-2007, 09:32
Start by gigging founder. Anyone can stab flounder. They just lay on the bottom and look at you right up to the point when you stick em. I have a foldspear (http://www.foldspear.com/). Its a great piece of gear. It folds up like a tent pole and has a holster. So you can wear it on your waist/leg. If I want to spear fish I put on the holster and if the opportunity presents itself I can pull it out and be ready to spear within a few seconds.

If I don't see anything worth shooting I just leave it in its pocket and I don't have to deal with carrying it around the whole dive. Don't use the paralyzer tips. Use the ones with the wings that pop out so the fish can't get off the pole.

No Misses
08-03-2007, 10:19
I am an avid spearfisherman and have used pole spears while snorkeling in the Bahamas (the only legal way to hunt fish there). The paralyzer tip works well for Mangrove snapper and yellow tails. If you are targeting larger fish like Mutton Snapper and grouper, change out the tip for a "Slip tip". This will hold more firmly while you try to subdue your prey. The slip tip comes off the end of the spear and is attached by a cable to the spear. This eliminates the leverage that a fish can use to pry the tip out and swim away. For more information you can search SpearBoard.com for posts from "Ocean Ed" ref: hunting with pole spears. He has conducted numerous training sessions over the years. Or, you can continue to ask questions here and I will do my best to help ;-)

P.S. there is nothing like sitting down to a meal with freinds and knowing that you provided it, through your hunting prowess :-)

BSea
08-03-2007, 10:54
there is nothing like sitting down to a meal with freinds and knowing that you provided it, through your hunting prowess :-) I know what you mean. I spear most of mine at Fresh Market.:smiley2:

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 11:51
If only I liked to eat fish... it's a shame, because spearfishing seems fun!

mcc2318
11-24-2007, 22:24
its a good little device only runs about 30 bucks

Crimediver
02-27-2008, 00:44
I have spearguns of all descriptions. got big guns, small guns, metal and wood guns, Billers, Sea Hornets, JBL's Voit, Scubapro, Banditos, Panthers and a couple of Euro guns and a home-made gun or two. Got Cressi pneumo guns too. I usually take my sling now when I go as it is very simple and I enjoy getting close. Slings are easy to use, cheap and fun. Avoid the paralyzer tip and use rock points or slip tips. Paralyzer tips allow fish to escape.

cmburch
02-27-2008, 01:33
My favorite fishing device is not a speargun, it is not a fishing pole, it is a pole spear. A 3-5 prong gig is also fun. A 30 dollar pole spear has got to be the fastest and most skillful (Well a rock fish just raises its dorsal fin as if saying "I dare ya to touch me") way to kill something. Well maybe not that skillful, but it is easy. Pole spears work great on the smaller fish - rock fish and Cabezon - never lost one.

The only reason I purchased a speargun was due to the one that got away. I was doing an easy dive in front of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Under this 8 foot round boulder, a ling cod with a head that was about 7 inches in diameter was looking out. I hit it with my pole spear 3 separated times over about 15 min. After hitting it, I pushed and held on and was shaken around each time. I had to wait for the sand/silt to settle each time I lost hold of it before I could see well enough to hit it again. My prongs were all bent. After the third time, I lost it. I felt pretty bad. I should have left it alone to live - now it was swimming away to die. Later I found out that males guard the eggs. Kill the male - other fish and animals eat the eggs. So I quit hunting ling cod and Cabezon during mating season. California now has closures during these times.

I now use a spear gun for everything. It is easier when swimming through kelp, but the simple fun of hitting many good size rock fish in quick succession is not there due to having to reload. When spearfishing bottom fish and fish around the kelp with my gun, I like a spinner rock point tip the best. It is easy to touch up and I have not lost any fish with it. Other than a Cabezon that swam into the rocks and jammed/lost my whole spear. I have recently found out that I should have used a breakaway point on my pole spear for ling cod. I may borrow a piece of surgical tubing from work and put my 20 year old pole spear back into service when the closure is lifted.

Trey9123
03-09-2008, 23:22
It looks like in the pictures, all of the pole spears have a loop on the back. Can someone explain the basics of using one. Do you just thrust the spear with you hand, or do you use this loop to do something fancy?

No Misses
03-10-2008, 05:30
It looks like in the pictures, all of the pole spears have a loop on the back. Can someone explain the basics of using one. Do you just thrust the spear with you hand, or do you use this loop to do something fancy?
That "Loop" is actually a bungie. You put your hand in the loop, with the loop hooked in the crook of your thumb. You stretch the loop down the pole spear as far as you can go. Now you have the pole spear grasped along with the bungie. Line up your shot and let it fly. As a normal rule, you should be close enough to the fish that the spear only travels a few feet. Ideally, you should make contact with your target before the bungie is fully "unsprung".
Happy hunting.

Trey9123
03-11-2008, 10:38
Do you use one hand or two? Are you holding the bungee with one hand and the spear with the other, or are you holding them both with one hand?

No Misses
03-11-2008, 13:21
You use two hands to "load" the bungie. But, only one is used to hold the spear.

1. place right hand in bungie. The bungie should run from the crux of your index finger and thumb across the palm (&back) of your hand.
2. Grab the forward end of the pole spear with your left hand.
3. While holding with your left hand, stretch the bungie as far forward as possible. There is often a roughened surface 2/3 of the way up the spear for gripping.
4. Once the bungie is streched (loaded). grip the bungie and spear with your right hand. Remove your left hand from the spear.
5. point it at your target and release your grip. The tension on the bungie will propel the polespear forward.

Most people wait until they have a target within range before "loading" the spear. Otherwise your forearm will cramp if you keep it loaded the whole time.

cmburch
03-11-2008, 13:33
Do you use one hand or two? Are you holding the bungee with one hand and the spear with the other, or are you holding them both with one hand?
My pole spear has not been used for about 20 years. I have to replace the "loop". Mine is yellow or black surgical tubing.

When I see a fish, I hook the loop between my right thumb and index finger, then stretch the tubing as far as it will go about the middle of the pole and grab/hold the pole with my right hand.

I hold the tip within inches (maybe upwards of a foot) of the fish's head then open my hand to release the spear.

So I am only using my right hand except when stretching the tubing.

Trey9123
03-11-2008, 22:32
Thanks for the lesson.

Grin
03-12-2008, 09:39
I dive with No Misses alot, and we have been to the Bahamas with the Polespears and slings. They work OK over there (fish are alot dumber there than here) and are alot of fun. But any speargun is 1000 times more deadly. I have a arsenal of spearguns for Florida waters and couldn't imagine having to use a polespear here. In the Bahamas the polespear is the main method for lobstering(for us anyway) and the three prong tip(Paralyzer is what they call it) is used for that. I have speared the occassional Bahamas super dumb fish with it. It is suprising that they don't really come off that eaisly. The tip splays out in them and holds them pretty good. Of course I'm talking little Hogfish, not 20+ lb Groupers. Pole spears can cost over $300 for the fancy Bahamas types that are made to get Groupers. A decent speargun can be had for less than $200 and in Florida waters it would be money very well spent. But you could have fun with a cheap polespear in FL. No spearing lobsters in Florida though(completely illegal here). I use a cheap $30 polespear in the Bahamas, not one of those expensive ones.

Crimediver
03-12-2008, 19:21
I've used the el cheapo pole spears all my life. How does a pole spear cost 300 bucks? I must be missing something. Does anyone have a link or photo to a fancy pole spear? i would like to see one and understand what i am missing.

cmburch
03-12-2008, 19:55
I've seen the aluminum 3 piece with a travel case for almost $100. I have a yellow ~$30 fiberglass and my friend gave me his 2 piece aluminum ~$45. Graphite poles are more expensive. I wonder if they make them in carbon fiber?

Here's ~$200 Spearfishing and Freediving Equipment - Pole Spears - Technosport Inc. (http://www.omerdiving.com/catalog.aspx?category=30)

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 14:52
Thanks-Manny Puig polespear, eh ? Manny is an interesting guy. I figured he did not need a spear to take fish. Anybody who freedives and wrestles up a bull shark with his bare hands is not likely to need a spear gun.

I got Manny to autograph my dive flag a while back at the Spearfishing competition at Hatteras a few years back. He is a cool dude! Maybe even cooler than Chuck Norris...

cmburch
03-16-2008, 09:22
I learned about SpearBoard & SCUBABoard from ST posts. There is a lot of information about pole spears and hunting in general on these forums. And more information specific to the Pacific Ocean; the only place I dive. I am contemplating investing some money in pole spear fishing. Though it does not necessarily make sense for me to carry a 7' pole spear through kelp versus my less than 2 foot gun.

DiverMAN
04-20-2008, 13:23
here's a video of manny and his pole spear, it made my omer...

YouTube - Manny Puig Pole Spear (http://youtube.com/watch?v=67RcBDHjRI4)