PDA

View Full Version : Cameras every trip?

Cichlid
07-14-2007, 14:56
Do you guys take your cameras on every dive? I know you usually need one when you don't have it, but do you consider it a regular part of your gear?

Joew
07-14-2007, 15:37
I take it whenever I can. I usually only leave it behind when I'm working with students.

marshallkarp
07-14-2007, 18:16
I take my digital still camera every trip, you just never know. I take my Sony videocam on most dives, again conditions permitting.

mmakay
07-14-2007, 19:42
I no longer go down on any dive without my rig. It's part of what I enjoy about diving.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 08:27
I take it on ever trip as well, but only about 25% of my dives will I have it with me. It depends on the purpose of the dive. If I'm solo I'm more likely to have it with me though.

CompuDude
07-16-2007, 11:03
I always bring it unless it's a working dive where it will get in the way, i.e., dedicated to skills practice, teaching, or some sort of scientific survey work.

If I'm going into particularly bad conditions (and know ahead of time!) sometimes I will leave it as well.

Dabaras
07-16-2007, 19:59
Every ocean dive is done with the camera. Sometimes I'll clip it off, but it is with me every time.

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:45
I always bring it unless it's a working dive where it will get in the way, i.e., dedicated to skills practice, teaching, or some sort of scientific survey work.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How do you clip it off? I've tried a couple spots but never really found a great spot that doesn't get in the way sometimes.</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:49
when i started diving i had my cannon every dive then i started pushing it aside and just using ever so often...but never fail you see something really cool and no camera ...so now i never dive without it.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:50
just wandering what model u have i have a dvd dcr92 and havent found a case and with no flash wandering what quality video would take ?

Storm
07-17-2007, 12:21
I guess I fall into the same category as the other folks here. Unless the dive plan calls for a lot of task loading, the camera is with me.

When Diving the St. Lawrence River wrecks, you can;t really tell what the vis is going to be like on the wreck, so sometimes the camera ends up as dead weight, but that's the nature of photography; sometime the best pic is the one not taken

GottaDiveMore
07-17-2007, 12:24
Every trip for sure. Almost every dive. Just bought the new "magic filters". Headed to Boanire next week. I'll let you know how they work out.

Dabaras
07-17-2007, 16:32
I clip it off with two carabiners. One on the upper right, one on the lower left. Holds it in place across my chest

przeor
07-19-2007, 01:37
Every trip so far, every dive since I bought it- unless I'm trying to catch crawdads- you need both hands for those SOBs! I couldn't imagine not having some of the pictures/video clips I have now.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 03:18
<div></div>
<div>How do you clip it off? I've tried a couple spots but never really found a great spot that doesn't get in the way sometimes.</div>
There's no such place. ;)

It's pretty much always in my hands when I bring it. The clip is only so it doesn't fall if there is a sudden urgent need for both hands at once.

I use one of these:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aqutcl.jpg

On my rig:

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/s80-kit.jpg

torrey
07-24-2007, 16:38
I'm always wanting to improve, but don't dive as much as I'd like to, so you can bet I'll always have my camera unless visibility is horrible.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 18:43
I'm always wanting to improve, but don't dive as much as I'd like to, so you can bet I'll always have my camera unless visibility is horrible.
I find my camera makes the bad vis dives tolerable. Just slow down and go macro!

Rick155
08-01-2007, 17:47
Judging from the posts here so far, my practice is different from most people's.

If I'm doing two dives at the same location, which is typically the case, I usually will not take my camera on the first dive. I prefer using the first dive to "just dive", while casually scouting for worthwhile photo subjects. This means I may occasionally miss being able to photograph something on the first dive that I won't see again on the second. So be it. We each have our foibles, and one of mine is that when I have the camera with me I become rather singlemindedly concerned with taking pictures. Since I know this about myself, and since there are other aspects of diving that I really enjoy that have nothing to do with taking pictures, I've learned that I get the most out of my diving by taking the camera with me sometimes, but not all the time.

Having said all that, if I know I'll only be doing one dive at a particular location, then chances are greatly improved that I'll take the camera with me -- because I know I won't be getting a second chance to capture whatever's there.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 20:12
It's pretty much always in my hands when I bring it. The clip is only so it doesn't fall if there is a sudden urgent need for both hands at once.

I use one of these:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aqutcl.jpg

I've been thinking about picking up one of those , glad to hear it works pretty well.

As for my camera, I take it with me on probably 95% of my dives. There are a couple that I didn't bring it because I had no chance to test the seal beforehand.

cummings66
08-01-2007, 21:08
Hey Wolfie did you have it when we dove Beaver Lake earlier this year? My pictures didn't come out well because either we were too deep or the vis was too poor.

It might have been tablerock lake where we dove together. Maybe we've done a couple. Was it you that John, myself, you and somebody else did at the end of last year when it was sleeting on us as we made our way up the lake and the other boat died and we took on their divers? We dove the Zebulon Pike, Jakes Point. Or was it when we dove with C&J scuba with Rob, Terry, You, Me, and one other person I can't place. We did a wall dive and the dive where the planes, helicopter, chainsaws and mermaid was? It might have been both.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 21:29
Hey Wolfie did you have it when we dove Beaver Lake earlier this year? My pictures didn't come out well because either we were too deep or the vis was too poor.

It might have been tablerock lake where we dove together. Maybe we've done a couple. Was it you that John, myself, you and somebody else did at the end of last year when it was sleeting on us as we made our way up the lake and the other boat died and we took on their divers? We dove the Zebulon Pike, Jakes Point. Or was it when we dove with C&J scuba with Rob, Terry, You, Me, and one other person I can't place. We did a wall dive and the dive where the planes, helicopter, chainsaws and mermaid was? It might have been both.

It was Beaver Lake at DUI days this year. Had the camera with me on every one except the wall since I had the light with me then. That wall was incredible though! :)

Here's the link to the pictures: http://www.millerfamily.net/pictures/BeaverLake2007/

dbh
08-03-2007, 06:27
My camera is a part of my trim. I have done one dive in the last 5 years without it :-).

Dave

deepdiver47
08-03-2007, 07:50
M
Do you guys take your cameras on every dive? I know you usually need one when you don't have it, but do you consider it a regular part of your gear?

I have had two trips with my camera and I wouldn't leave the boat without it. Having a camera changes the way that you dive. Mine is small enough (no strobe) that it doesn't become a chore to take on a dive.

94GTStang
08-04-2007, 23:45
I feel naked without my camera. Like said earlier, you just never know what you are going to see.

Dive-aholic
08-04-2007, 23:54
I carry it on almost every non-training dive. The few times I decided not to bring it with me, I came across something I really wanted to photograph. Never fails!

Bill22
08-19-2007, 09:55
Well, I just got my setup.... but I can't imagine not taking it with me whenever I dive. I need all the practice I can get :-)

porsche060
08-24-2007, 16:09
Wonder whats happens more often, getting it stolen, losing it, or damaged underwater

underwaterdan
08-28-2007, 18:49
I take my camera on 95% of my dives. Last dive I was on a couple told me they no longer take pictures, they prefer to enjoy the dive. They lost a child and said they would rather have the memories than the pictures. Interesting theory - the next dive I decided to take less pics and more enjoying it - I couldn't wait too long before I had to take my camera out to shoot the turtle that was swimming by me! I still enjoyed taking less pictures.

Travelnsj
08-28-2007, 19:04
The one time I would not dive with my camera...well that Tiger or Whaleshark would come by.....