PDA

View Full Version : First attempts at underwater photography

Marcus Wendel
07-04-2012, 12:27
Hello all,

I've just returned from St Lucia where I took my first steps into the world of underwater photography. Obviously I have little idea about what I am doing at this stage but I've created a simple blog where I have posted some of the photos and videos I took and I would appreciate some feedback and suggestions on what to work on but keep in mind that I am very much a beginner and am finding it difficult do to the most basic things http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif
The address is http://www.divingiguana.com/

I am using a Sea&Sea DX-GE5 with the flash Sea&Sea YS-Q2 and I got a suggestion about the "Underwater" action for Photoshop Elements so I've used that on the images.

/Marcus

ScubaToys Larry
07-04-2012, 14:55
Biggest thing I tell new photographers, is get closer, and shoot up. Don't shoot down at your subjects. Shots always seem to look better if you get the blue background from catching a decent chunk of water column behind the subject. So try to see eyes of the subject, and get clear water behind them... so get down and shoot up. If you look around here, you will see Devil Diver has lots of great shots, and has lots of posts of tips. Read through his stuff and you'll learn a lot!

Keep it up and welcome to the forum!

BUDMAN
07-04-2012, 15:00
underwater photography is one of the most difficult things I've ever tried. Ditto on what Larry said. take as many pictures as possible out of a 100 you may get 3-4 you are proud of.

joedive
07-04-2012, 15:20
Good job! :-)

snagel
07-05-2012, 05:20
Agree with what Larry said, this was my first pointers I received as well.

What settings are you using on your camera? Are you using any type of filters?

I have a cheap ReefMaster Camera and when I first got it I set it on the "Sea" Setting thinking that is what I needed. The only thing this did was wash out my pictures and give them that turquoise color. I started and still am learning about all the settings on the camera and now prefer to set things manually and my pictures turn out better (not near what Devil Diver produces).

Snagel

Marcus Wendel
07-06-2012, 15:33
Thanks for the feedback. Avoiding shooting down on the subject sounds like a good idea but it does also sound a bit challenging, I will certainly give it a try when I do my next photo dives.

I am currently using the underwater photography mode on my camera, I have not yet started playing around with the manual settings.

/Marcus