PDA

View Full Version : Lake Travis - How's Windy Point now??

Defman
07-19-2012, 17:54
I know the lake is about 40' down. Going to CZM next month and need to check my gear before I go, so really it's a quick 1 tank dive to make sure everything is good-to-go. Just don't wanna waste the time/$$ renting a tank & weight if it's not really divable currently. If not, suggestions on other local options is appreciated.

Thanks

Marina-Lake Travis
07-22-2012, 08:50
When the Lake Travis water level goes down below 640' above MSL (that would be ~29' below normal), most of the boat ramps are closed. So people who trailer their boats can't get em' in the water. But diving is still good at Windy Point -- plenty of deep water right offshore.

PlatypusMan
07-22-2012, 11:03
When the Lake Travis water level goes down below 640' above MSL (that would be ~29' below normal), most of the boat ramps are closed. So people who trailer their boats can't get em' in the water. But diving is still good at Windy Point -- plenty of deep water right offshore.

With respect--are you a diver? Do you have a clue what our concerns might be as divers?

Diving involves much more than deep water offshore; it also has to do with in-water visibility plus safe access and exit from the water at a particular site. In my experience, Windy Point becomes almost useless to me as a diver when these factors are examined based on the drop in water levels.

chrpai
10-07-2012, 21:22
I haven't dove Windy Point in a few months. From what I've seen from the boat, Windy currently has one entry point still open. You have to climb all the way down to the platform and then you have to climb down a ladder to get into the water.

I like Windy but typically I'm at Mansfield on Wednesday nights since the Picses club is there and on weekends I'm diving off Mike's boat. The walk from my car to his boat can't be beat.