PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask for Advanced cert.

cariss2709
09-20-2007, 15:54
I'm planning on getting a AOW cert.

I've had over 40 dives and pretty comfortable with low viz ( some of them have been in 2 feet or less) and pretty good with buoyancy. I dive somewhat reguarly, around 2 or more times a month when its warm water.

Problem is I get lost easily. And have more problems than I'd like trying to figure out where I'm going with a compass, so I normally leave it to my buddy. I figure it'd be a good time to just refresh my skills and take an advanced course.

From what I've been seeing they range from $150-$250. What are some questions I should be asking? Number of dives included? "Specialties"? I'm NAUI but I don't think it really matters what dive agency I go through.

Charles R
09-20-2007, 15:58
At least with PADI AOW you have to take Deep, And Navigation the other 3 are up to you and your class! Ask your instuctor what classes he is able to teach and make sure they match what you are interested in Not all instuctors can teach everything.

ertechsg
09-20-2007, 16:02
Naui should include a night dive ..deep over 60 ft .... and a navagation dive + 3 electives camera, search and recovery ect.... during the course you will practice navagation won't be to hard you'll do fine. But really it's just another card to get to certain dive sites. If you can follow your buddy in 2 ft vis you can do this

subsur
09-20-2007, 16:06
since you want to improve your navigation skills make sure your AOW includes that. There are 5 dives with PADI AOW and Navigation dive is mandatory. In my course, we also has search and recovery dive that also improves Navigation skills. make sure you use compass and learn navigation, you'll tremendously benefit from knowing how to use it. To take PADI AOW you're supposed to have very few dives so you're fine in that aspect.

jo8243
09-20-2007, 16:14
If you're worried about compass work, just practice on land first.

Charles R
09-20-2007, 16:25
Also you can take a Navigation course and get the full blown version or just pick up the manual and read the full version instead of the short version for the AOW dive

Vercingetorix
09-21-2007, 13:12
Don't reseve practice to land only. Get a dive buddy and practice underwater. Totally different experience. Set-up a two-, three-, four-, and even a five-point course. If you dive at a scuba park, there are buoys you can use as marks.

Buoyant1
09-24-2007, 11:17
I suck with NAV and I squeaked through it..it's a good part of the course, and definately make sure wherever you go they have it for the course!
Good luck!

edge900rr
09-24-2007, 20:10
my advanced instructor (padi) is great. he teaches the whole book, and you pick the 3 you want to do to get your cert. then anytime you go on a trip with him or go out diving with him, he will bring what ever equipment you need to complete another specialty. you just have to pay his cost for the card.

diverdad
09-24-2007, 20:56
If your navigational skilles are lacking practice, practice, practice, oh and did i mention practice. Just make a game of it it will come to you in time. Good luck.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:00
Practice your compass skills and then take AOW. It will make your life a lot easier.

plot
09-24-2007, 22:09
apparently with PADI AOW you still have to take another "Deep Diving" course to be deep diver certified... so um, screw that. go with another agency.

do as others have said, practice compass skills on land, in a parking lot, or wherever first. scuba practice on dry land is extremely underated.

chinacat46
09-24-2007, 22:30
apparently with PADI AOW you still have to take another "Deep Diving" course to be deep diver certified... so um, screw that. go with another agency.

do as others have said, practice compass skills on land, in a parking lot, or wherever first. scuba practice on dry land is extremely underated.

While PADI offers a Deep Dive speciality you don't need it to be deep dive certified. The PADI AOW has a deep dive as one of the 5 dives. So once you have your AOW you are qualified to dive deep. The speciality just goes into things a bit deeper as there are four deep dives although the deep dive from AOW can count as your first of the four.

Cojrock
09-25-2007, 06:42
The Advanced is good, worth doing for some new experiences but still better than that is practice at a skill you wanna master.

One game i play to practice my nav is to stick my dive knife(it has a colorful handle) in the sand(works best in flat lowish viz water) then come up with a plan of of swimming, say swim 20 kicks, turn 90o 20 kicks, turn 90o etc to get back to where you left the knife. You may wanna use some plastic kids shovel or something cheep if you dont wanna risk loosing your knife but ya get the idea. This will get you used to planing swims in your head and following with the plan, taking into account obstacles, reading compasses, and its just a cool feeling when you find your knife.... even more so finding it after 10 mins of looking cos you lost count of your kicks :P. This kinda thing is a good way to kill some time at in the shallows.

georoc01
09-25-2007, 12:29

I think the challenge of nav, is that it doesn't bring maintaining your depth into play. One thing I have discovered having been through it myself and two buddies now is that in keeping your compass level, its easy to get your head pointing down and thus going going deeper.

TxScubaBear
09-26-2007, 07:01
When we did our (NAUI) AOW course a few weeks ago, we practiced navigation on land for about 30 minutes until we and the instructors felt comfortable doing this, in preparation for the water version. Once in the water, it was a breeze because of the land drills we worked on. You should do a fin kick cycle first to see what your rhythm is, ie- 30 kicks in a 100 foot line, then when you go to do the nav course of AOW, if your first object is say 165 degrees at 50 feet, you know it'll take 15 kick cycles to get to it (if you're consistent with your fin kick cycles). Overall it was enjoyable and educational.
Instructors make a big difference in how much you learn and retain in my opinion.

cummings66
09-28-2007, 17:46
While PADI offers a Deep Dive speciality you don't need it to be deep dive certified. The PADI AOW has a deep dive as one of the 5 dives. So once you have your AOW you are qualified to dive deep.

Not quite right, but close. The AOW with Padi gets you to 100 feet, the deep speciality gets you to 130 feet. That's what Plot was referring to when he said screw that.

IMO I'll dive to 130 feet regardless of what the AOW says I can do. I've had the training that the deep speciality teaches and then some.

DZorn00
09-29-2007, 20:13
Just join the MARINES, they will teach you navigation easily.....