PDA

View Full Version : Comfo-Bite mouthpiece

the gooch
07-14-2007, 15:12
Anyone else use one? I can't imagine using anything else. I have it mounted on my proton metal, most comfortable mouthpiece I have tried and only $11 compared to SeaCures $30 price tag.

Joew
07-14-2007, 20:21
The comfobites are very comfortable, but when mine died on me I bought a Seacure mouthpiece. It is just as comfortable for me, but feels a lot more secure in my mouth. It will also last a lot longer since it is made from a tougher material, but for $30 it better last forever. I could have bought 3 comfobites for that.

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 20:43
I used to use a SeaCure mouth piece till I tried the Dive Rite Longbite mouthpiece....loved them....all 8 of my regs have them now.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 21:17
I don't think you can beat the molded mouthpiece, Seacure :)

jacewindu
07-14-2007, 22:05
agreed!

dutch552
07-15-2007, 05:23
I used Apeks and Aqualung gear for several years and I must say that I can tell a difference after a full day of diving with the SeaCure re: less jaw fatigue and less effort required to secure the second stage in my mouth. YMMV.

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 05:43
that is the way to go for sure

cummings66
07-15-2007, 07:16
What's the deal with the apeks mouthpiece anyhow? Why do they have a slot in the thing? I've always kind of wondered if that's some sort of moisture thing a ma bob?

yeroks
07-15-2007, 18:09
I'm using a SeaCure right now but still have not decided if I will stay with it. I'm about to try something else since I have not been blown away by it.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 21:35
I would tend to think the SeaCure should be the best out there, it is custom built to fit your teeth after all.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Never had one so I don't know for sure, but it sounds good to me.</DIV>

bolantej
07-16-2007, 00:13
I've tried the manta bite and it helped with my jaw fatigue, but it's tough to put in compared to the comfo bite.

94GTStang
07-16-2007, 00:37
I like my SeaCure, but I don't think my girlfriend enjoys hers as much. I might check out this other brand for her though...

frankc420
07-16-2007, 08:31
I had to cut away alot of my Seacure because it made me want to gag when I first put it in... after that, I fell in love! When it got pulled off my reg one time UW (my fault, ziptie wasn't tight enough), I almost cried! Luckily my dive buddy caught it before it sank into the abyss!

CompuDude
07-16-2007, 10:40
Sea Cures are great, but there are two issues to be aware of:

Not everyone's mouth is the same. What works for you won't necessarily work for your buddy. So don't put one your octo, or if you do, be sure to trim it down fairly short so it won't choke someone with a different mouth shape if you need to donate air.

In the same vein, if you use a configuration where you need to donate your primary instead of a secondary, such as a long hose configuration or one where you have a SS1 or Air2-type inflator/secondary reg, there could be issues if you use one on your primary.

Judestudio
07-16-2007, 17:56

Not everyone's mouth is the same. What works for you won't necessarily work for your buddy. So don't put one your octo, or if you do, be sure to trim it down fairly short so it won't choke someone with a different mouth shape if you need to donate air.

In the same vein, if you use a configuration where you need to donate your primary instead of a secondary, such as a long hose configuration or one where you have a SS1 or Air2-type inflator/secondary reg, there could be issues if you use one on your primary.
I'm planning to donate my primary during OOA. But since I'll be the person using the primary most, I'd really like to fit it with a Seacure. I was just thinking, if he/she is OOA and I'm giving them air, they really shouldn't complain about the mouth piece being not so comfortable. They can give my air back smileys/smiley7.gif

LOL

frankc420
07-16-2007, 17:59

I'm diving for my comfort, not theirs. With that said, I've thought about putting one on my octo just for those times that I'm donating air... They should just be grateful that they aren't drowning! If they complain about how difficult it was to keep the reg in their mouth because of my mouthpiece, I'd have to smack em with a dead fish! smileys/smiley18.gif

lucidblue
07-17-2007, 13:52
I'm a grinder, a clencher and I have TMJ smileys/smiley29.gif so I'm definitely considering the SeaCure. My only concern is that I seem to bite right through mouthpieces within a few dives. I'm guessing it might be because the mouth pieces haven't fit properly. I just don't want to buy a SeaCure after every 3-4 dives. Anyone have issues biting through it?

mmakay
07-17-2007, 17:31
I'm a grinder, a clencher and I have TMJ smileys/smiley29.gif so I'm definitely considering the SeaCure. My only concern is that I seem to bite right through mouthpieces within a few dives. I'm guessing it might be because the mouth pieces haven't fit properly. I just don't want to buy a SeaCure after every 3-4 dives. Anyone have issues biting through it?

If you form it carefully, it should contact your teeth completely. (when you form it, suck hard to make it form all around your teeth) That will distribute the pressure and keep you from biting through it. The material is pretty tough, too. It's the same stuff used for athlete's mouth guards. I think it should last you a long time.

lucidblue
07-17-2007, 23:09

If you form it carefully, it should contact your teeth completely. (when you form it, suck hard to make it form all around your teeth) That will distribute the pressure and keep you from biting through it. The material is pretty tough, too. It's the same stuff used for athlete's mouth guards. I think it should last you a long time.

Thanks! This is good to know... didn't want chew my way through $100+ worth of mouthpieces over the course of a vacation smileys/smiley36.gif

WaterRat
07-18-2007, 16:33
I agree with Compudude. If donating your primary youwant to stay away from the moldedmouthpieces. I hear the argument about I'm using it most of the time and want to be comfortable...however, if you've got an OOA diver they're either already panicing or on the verge of panic. A mouthpiece that gags them or even feels awkward could throw them over the edge. Divers have drown with air still in the tank because they paniced and thought their regulator wasn't working.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

comet24
07-18-2007, 16:57
Thats what I use these days. Tried a SeaCure but never was comfortable with it even after trimming the ends off again and again.

cummings66
07-18-2007, 18:06
Maybe I'm not following because I haven't got one of those sea cures, but how would teeth impressions make you gag? I could see it being uncomfortable to a certain extent but gag?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What are people trimming on these anyhow? The ones I've seen on the shelf look to be as long as my normal regulator mouthpiece is, just curious.</DIV>

Joew
07-18-2007, 18:26
Maybe I'm not following because I haven't got one of those sea cures, but how would teeth impressions make you gag? I could see it being uncomfortable to a certain extent but gag?
<div> </div>
<div>What are people trimming on these anyhow? The ones I've seen on the shelf look to be as long as my normal regulator mouthpiece is, just curious.</div>

The teeth impressions aren't a problem when donating your primary. I've breathed off a buddy's reg with a Seacure and I don't think the impressions could gag anyone. The issue that others are refering to is the length of the "wings" on the Seacure. They're a little longer than the mouthpieces on most regs. I guess some people with smaller mouths or a strong gag reflex have a hard time with them. In the Seacure instructions they mention that you should trim the tabs before molding if they are too long for your mouth. I don't think donating a primary reg with seacure mouthpiece that's been trimmed would be a problem.

RECDiver
07-18-2007, 22:35
I have heard of the comfo-bite, but have not used one. I do have to replace a mouthpiece or two on some family memeber regs, so may give those a try. Thanks.

the gooch
07-19-2007, 09:54
I have heard of the comfo-bite, but have not used one. I do have to replace a mouthpiece or two on some family memeber regs, so may give those a try. Thanks. Give them a shot, I can almost guarantee you will like them.

thesmoothdome
07-19-2007, 22:07
I've only used regular old mouthpieces and comfo-bites. I'm a real fan of the comfo-bites. Has anyone noticed a difference in hardness between the clear ones and the black ones? I always had clear ones on my old gear and my new reg has a black one and I'm convinced it's not as comfortable. Is it just in my head?

the gooch
07-20-2007, 17:31
I've only used regular old mouthpieces and comfo-bites. I'm a real fan of the comfo-bites. Has anyone noticed a difference in hardness between the clear ones and the black ones? I always had clear ones on my old gear and my new reg has a black one and I'm convinced it's not as comfortable. Is it just in my head? I'd be willing the bet it is in your head, although I do not know for sure if they are a different hardness. I used an APEKS with a black comfo-bite and was sold, when I purchased the mouthpiece I got a clear and it seems the same as the black one to me.

Joew
07-20-2007, 20:46
I've only used regular old mouthpieces and comfo-bites. I'm a real fan of the comfo-bites. Has anyone noticed a difference in hardness between the clear ones and the black ones? I always had clear ones on my old gear and my new reg has a black one and I'm convinced it's not as comfortable. Is it just in my head?

You're right, they are a little different. I think the clear ones were made for snorkels and the black ones for regs. I have a few Impulse 2 snorkels that came with clear comfo-bites, and the silicone is definitely softer and not as durable as the black one that came with my Titan LX reg.

picxie
07-20-2007, 20:53
Do these 'special' mouthpieces minimise the effects if you have a habit of biting too hard on them??!! I've gone through 2 mouthpieces in 6 months. I don't notice that I'm biting too hard under water, and I don't get a tired jaw from it, it's only until I realise I've chewed through another one that I become aware of the problem!!

Judestudio
07-20-2007, 20:59
Is the Comfo-bite a thing that comes with Apeks regs? Or something you need to buy as an add-on??

Joew
07-20-2007, 21:01
Do these 'special' mouthpieces minimise the effects if you have a habit of biting too hard on them??!! I've gone through 2 mouthpieces in 6 months. I don't notice that I'm biting too hard under water, and I don't get a tired jaw from it, it's only until I realise I've chewed through another one that I become aware of the problem!!

Yes, the Seacure is pretty tough. It would be near impossible to bite through one of them. I don't have any jaw problems and I've never had any comfort issues with any mouthpiece I've used. I use the Seacure mainly because it is a lot more durable.

JahJahwarrior
07-21-2007, 19:15
Other thing is you can push a non-molded or special mouthpiece up to the lips of a diver suffering from oxtox or something like that. You don't have it insert it to give them air, just purge continuously and it'll be like a brathing mask, kind of. That also puts the comfobite things out of the question.

Not that I wouldn't ever use one, it's just something to think about. :)

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 20:10
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The comfo-bites have a silicone bar across the top of it that helps it stay in place. You don't really bite down much at all on them.Even if your not conscious of doing it,you maynot find yourself chomping downas hard with one of these. </DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 12:43
http://www.divers-supply.com/INNOVATIVE-SCUBA-COMFORT-CUSHION-MOUTHPIECE-p/ins0066.htm (http://www.divers-supply.com/INNOVATIVE-SCUBA-COMFORT-CUSHI&#079;N-MOUTHPIECE-p/ins0066.htm)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>is this what you guys are talking about?</DIV>
<DIV>if not.. can you give me a link?</DIV>

liuk3
07-23-2007, 12:51
Has anyone had any experience with the seacure mouthpiece leaking at all?

the gooch
07-23-2007, 13:34
http://www.divers-supply.com/INNOVATIVE-SCUBA-COMFORT-CUSHION-MOUTHPIECE-p/ins0066.htm (http://www.divers-supply.com/INNOVATIVE-SCUBA-COMFORT-CUSHI&#079;N-MOUTHPIECE-p/ins0066.htm)
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>is this what you guys are talking about?</div>
<div>if not.. can you give me a link?</div> Thats not it---this is:

http://www.watersafetyshop.com/media/aql/820090comfobiteblkp.jpg

the gooch
07-23-2007, 13:36
And after searching for this picture I noticed that their snorkels do have the clear and all the regs black so the poster that said they are a different hardness may be right but i can't tell the difference between the two

JahJahwarrior
07-23-2007, 20:12
Has anyone had any experience with the seacure mouthpiece leaking at all?

I've never heard anyone complain of it. I've never had a problem with the 4 different styles of mouthpieces on my regs either (none are seacure). In all, I've only made a few observations about mouthpieces:

-a new mouthpiece can make all the difference in the world if you old one is hard.
-clear mouthpieces do change colour slowly over time.
-soft rubber mouthpieces seem to encourage chewing, but are very nice and comfy.
-soft rubber mouthpieces twist more than moderately soft mouhtpieces. Might be due to force on reg from hose?!? Not a problem overall, just something I noticed after some dives. A tighter ziptie might fix.

torrey
08-03-2007, 08:46

Do they basically work the same way as the athlete mouth guards...boil to soften and then bite? Are the comfobites the same way, or are they different?

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 08:59
Yes, the seacure is a boil and bite. The comfobite is not. Comfobite is ready to use out of the package.

Ron

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:04
Thanks for the tips Ive got to try one now.

Judestudio
08-03-2007, 17:20
Hi, does anyone know if Seacure II will fit on an Apeks XTX-200 regulator? I know the website says Seacure Pro-II, but the one I got is a Seacure-II...I was told it should work fine, but before I do anything with it, I just wanted to find out if anyone tried it.

Thanks.

rktman26
08-11-2007, 21:34
My jaw used to hurt pretty bad after a dive because I had to bite down pretty hard to keep the reg in my mouth.
I did a 67 minute dive with the Seacure installed, and my jaw didn't hurt a bit.
It was definitely worth the money.

cmburch
02-22-2008, 16:14
My US Divers came with a Comfo-Bite mouthpiece. I like it. But I was also thinking about trying out an Innovative Comfort Cushion Rubber Mouthpiece.