PDA

View Full Version : New Texas Divers, looking to meet other Texas Divers

shredingmetal
07-23-2012, 12:43
My wife and I are both recently certified to dive, I mean within the a month recently. We are looking to meet some other divers. We will probably be back out at CSSP in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to get together let me know and I will try to make more definate plans.
Just FYI, our goals as divers is to get advanced, underwaterphotography, wreck, Nat Geo and possibley cave certified. I would like to get search and recovery certified as well but my wife doesnt have a big interest in that.
But in the mean time we are simply diving for fun.:smiley36:

joer606
07-25-2012, 13:08
We are in the Sachse area just north of you. We havent been out this year and need to get out soon.
I have had my cert 2 years and my GF has had hers alot longer.

shredingmetal
07-25-2012, 13:51
We are in the Sachse area just north of you. We havent been out this year and need to get out soon.
I have had my cert 2 years and my GF has had hers alot longer.

I am looking at going back out to CSSP the weekend of the 10th of August. If you and your gf want to meet up and dive that would be great. My wife and I usually pack a couple of sandwhiches and/or light snacks to munch on between dives.

Zeagle Eagle
07-25-2012, 15:58
You are only a few miles from Scuba Toys.

KO-Texas
07-25-2012, 21:28
[QUOTE=shredingmetal;478252]My wife and I are both recently certified to dive, I mean within the a month recently. We are looking to meet some other divers. We will probably be back out at CSSP in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to get together let me know and I will try to make more definate plans.
Just FYI, our goals as divers is to get advanced, underwaterphotography, wreck, Nat Geo and possibley cave certified. I would like to get search and recovery certified as well but my wife doesnt have a big interest in that.
But in the mean time we are simply diving for fun.:smiley36:[/QUOTE

Athens has a Treasure Hunt on Sunday? I may be going.
Maybe we can meet and dive some time?
KO

shredingmetal
07-26-2012, 06:48
KO
That would great. We are taking the next couple of weeks off from diving to take care of some things.

Zeagle Eagle
I know, we both really enjoy the shop and bought most of our gear there.

joer606
07-26-2012, 09:29
As much as I want to I donít think we will make it this Sunday. Aug 10th might be possible. Iím working on getting a photo gear and would like to try it out before I go on vacation.

That Guy
07-26-2012, 11:25
I will be in exactly the same situation (newly certified and wanting to learn/gain experience) after this weekend (assuming everything goes to plan), so I'm definitely going to be interested come August. Of course I'll also be a total noob so maybe this is more like "fair warning." :)

KO-Texas
07-26-2012, 20:02
After Athens on Sunday, I probably won't be diving until the end of August?
Looks like I am going to be in need of tip money $

I just got my B-Day present early and I will diving the Flower Gardens on the Fling :smiley20::smiley32::smiley20:

She really does LOVE me :smiley27::smiley27::smiley27: :smiley19: ah shucks... sniff :smiley36::smiley32: :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Yipee!! :smilie39: I am Giddee/Ecstatic
KO

bdant85
07-31-2012, 16:07
I get certified the end of August (open water test on the 25 and 26) and none of my friends are willing to try diving with me. So I will be just as new to this as you guys but would like to meet some people to go diving with.

That Guy
08-01-2012, 08:40
I get certified the end of August (open water test on the 25 and 26) and none of my friends are willing to try diving with me. So I will be just as new to this as you guys but would like to meet some people to go diving with.

So...I have to ask...what is it your friends know that we don't? :D OK, that wasn't as funny on screen as it was in my head. Sorry.

Where are you doing your OW dives?

Everything went to plan for me last weekend. I now have a theoretical C-Card and an actual snazzy new BP/W set-up from Scubatoys (I jumped the gun on that and got it before the OW weekend/used it on one of the OW dives) so as soon as I scrape together a few other bits and pieces I'll even be able to dive in my own gear!

bdant85
08-01-2012, 16:16
So...I have to ask...what is it your friends know that we don't? :D OK, that wasn't as funny on screen as it was in my head. Sorry.

Where are you doing your OW dives?

Everything went to plan for me last weekend. I now have a theoretical C-Card and an actual snazzy new BP/W set-up from Scubatoys (I jumped the gun on that and got it before the OW weekend/used it on one of the OW dives) so as soon as I scrape together a few other bits and pieces I'll even be able to dive in my own gear!

I'm going through scuba toys they do theirs at CSSP I talked to them about buying gear first they told me I should wait til after I get certified so I have a better idea of what to buy. Talking to them they are pretty confident everything will go as planned. Im ready to go and get it done so i can start diving. I paid for my class back in may and haven't had two weekends open where I could take the course.

Zeagle Eagle
08-01-2012, 19:02
That's why I love Scuba Toys. Most dive stores pressure you into buying expensive equipment before you get certified. Not ST. Any experienced diver will tell you to wait.

That Guy
08-01-2012, 21:52
Personally, I don't think the choice of waiting or rushing in depends on a lot of factors, but it is easy to rush ahead with gear purchases faster than you should. I wouldn't recommend it, but I am very glad I did it.

Amusing aside... Years ago, living in California, I decided to buy my first motorcycle. California has a riding test for getting your endorsement but they don't like administering it, so they make it very hard and give you the alternative of taking a motorcycle safety class. So that's what I did. There were maybe 40 students in the class.

I was the only one there who didn't own a motorcycle. About half the class had new high dollar (well over $10k) bikes they had just bought. Judging from how they handled the little 125cc bikes in the class, these people had never ridden before.

By the standards of someone buying a $23,000 Harley and then taking the class to learn how to ride, spending under $500 on a BC is downright responsible. :-D

Zeagle Eagle
08-01-2012, 22:05
Do you still have that BC That Guy?

That Guy
08-01-2012, 22:26
Yes, acknowledging that someone could criticize my use of the term "BC" to describe a stainless backplate, 30lb wing, Hogarthian harness, two cam bands and crotch strap, I still have my first BC.

bdant85
08-02-2012, 06:58
Yes, acknowledging that someone could criticize my use of the term "BC" to describe a stainless backplate, 30lb wing, Hogarthian harness, two cam bands and crotch strap, I still have my first BC.

That Sounds more like a technical harness then a bc are you planning to start diving tech? I've been looking into it and think it would be cool to see wrecks and caverns that no one else has ever seen. But I know it takes a lot of experience and knowledge to get into that so I will probably work up to that slowly.

That Guy
08-02-2012, 09:21
That Sounds more like a technical harness then a bc are you planning to start diving tech? I've been looking into it and think it would be cool to see wrecks and caverns that no one else has ever seen. But I know it takes a lot of experience and knowledge to get into that so I will probably work up to that slowly.

I think it's only a tec harness on the back of a tec diver. For me it is Buoyancy Control.

Mainly I want to dive places like Alaska. I don't know how "tec" that is but cold water and I'm interested in some overhead environments. I got a lot of advice from various sorts of divers and it all boiled down to this gear being suitable for learning in, and future goals, but I should try as much gear as I could. I still hope to try as much as I can but the loss from flipping a BC is fairly low compared to renting more than a few weekends.

bdant85
08-02-2012, 10:04
Alaska sounds a little cold for me but I think cave diving and wreck diving would be pretty cool. I was thinking of going with the zeagle brigade bc that ST offers because it give the back inflate for easier control with the ease of a vest bc. I do want to do my advanced open water and nitrox classes as soon as possible. I figure I'll buy gear as I find out what I really like and don't like. I do want to go new because the warranties are worth it most of the time and you never know how well someone else took care of their equipment.

That Guy
08-02-2012, 10:26
Yeah, cold may be more tolerable in theory than practice. That's just something I'm going to have to learn about myself as I go.

I looked at the Zeagle Brigade - seems really nice to me. Some of those back-inflate soft BCs, when folded, are very compact for travel. It eventually came down to the BP/W seeming like more of a platform that I can adapt as my needs change.

If we dive together you are welcome to try my BP/W if we can get it adjusted to your size.

bdant85
08-03-2012, 13:53
That sounds good I'll let you know when I get certified and we can maybe look into diving together

That Guy
08-03-2012, 15:43
Just let me know. :)

Personally I enjoyed my CSSP OW dives a lot more than my pool dives. I found it challenging in unexpected ways but very rewarding. I hope you have a similar experience.

bdant85
08-03-2012, 16:53
I'm sure everything will go good I haven't had a bad experience at ST they seem pretty knowledgeable. I hear the only down side is visibility but I think they have some wrecks there that should be cool to see and there's also Athens scuba park that's supposed to be cool to dive also. After I get a few dives in and my AOW I want to go to the flower gardens in the gulf too

KO-Texas
08-04-2012, 11:28
That's why I love Scuba Toys. Most dive stores pressure you into buying expensive equipment before you get certified. Not ST. Any experienced diver will tell you to wait.

:) Scuba Toys sets the hook softly in the beginning, then hooks you for life!
I should probably just set up a direct deposit to their account :)
Nothing but good....NO... VERY GOOD things to say about Scuba Toys.. the lot of them!
KO

Zeagle Eagle
08-04-2012, 21:31
Direct deposit, why didn't I think of that.

That Guy
08-07-2012, 09:25
Not to hijack the thread, but this seems as good a place as any: I am planning to go to CSSP this Saturday (8/11/12) if I can find a buddy. If you need a buddy (or will be there anyway and are willing to let me tag along) let me know and we can meet at the park!

Thanks!