PDA

View Full Version : Air travel

iowdivnut
09-20-2007, 16:24
I'm headed for the Reno area in a couple of weeks and understand there is some diving at Lake Tahoe. My question is: Would it be better to carry my regulator and computer on the plane or check it with my other equipment?
Any help is appreciated.

Charles R
09-20-2007, 16:26
Carry on to protect it those are to fragile for the way the baggage handlers throw you stuff around in checked bags

citykid
09-20-2007, 16:41
I always carry my reg, mask & computer. That way if (when) the airline loses my stuff, I have my personal gear that I wouldn't be too comfortable renting.

ertechsg
09-20-2007, 17:00
There is a huge thread on here somwhere about this but anyway I just throw it all in a ck on bag ....carry camera equipment

scubasavvy
09-20-2007, 17:50
Carry it on...people are crazy at the airport...trust me...

chinacat46
09-20-2007, 17:51
I always carry on reg, dive computers, mask and camera gear as well as my laptop.

dburg30
09-20-2007, 19:02
There is a huge thread on here somwhere about this but anyway I just throw it all in a ck on bag ....carry camera equipment

Think this is it..

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3192

BobArnold8265
09-20-2007, 21:40
I've had my luggage lost on several trips so always carry-on my reg, computer and photo equipment. Too valuable to lose !!!

namabiru
09-20-2007, 23:08
Carry on to protect it those are to fragile for the way the baggage handlers throw you stuff around in checked bags

Yep. In my move this week, I had two brand new suitcases I used. One is now cracked all to hell near the handle. When I brought this to the airline's attention, they naturally never did anything like that and I was just a greedy American trying to jip them out of money. Idiots. But what can you do?

JugglingMonkeys
09-21-2007, 02:10
Never ... as in never... never... check valuable stuff.
never!

iowdivnut
09-21-2007, 06:45
Thanks evryone! That is what I thought. I've traveled by air enough to know how rough the airlines are on baggage. I've also have two connections that gives the airlines way too much opportunity to loose something!

jpep
09-21-2007, 08:34

Yep. In my move this week, I had two brand new suitcases I used. One is now cracked all to hell near the handle. When I brought this to the airline's attention, they naturally never did anything like that and I was just a greedy American trying to jip them out of money. Idiots. But what can you do?

Agree with packing mask, regs, computer and camera gear in carryon bag.
Although hard cases will protect sensitive gear from damage... you are still out of luck if the bag disappears.

As for lost or damaged luggage, you can get fully compensated, but you have to know your rights and be persistent. I had to fight AA, and ultimately prevailed, when 2 of 3 pieces of luggage were delayed for several days and the third piece was never found.

The key is to file a claim at the airport when you first discover the damage or loss. Then you have to document dates/times and personnel with whom you spoke. If the luggage is actually lost, rather than delayed, you will file a claim itemizing the lost bag's contents and the value, much like filing an insurance claim. You also do not have to accept the airlines' adjustment of the claim, and can pursue a small claims court proceeding. Took me about 3 months to resolve, without having to commence a small claims court action.

Not only did I succeed in obtaining compensation for everything lost including my gear, but also the rental costs of diving gear on a trip.

Hope you don't have to use it, but just in case, here's a link regarding lost luggage rights:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/lostbaggagerights.htm

ccarter
09-21-2007, 09:02
I carry regs, camera housing, camera, and gauges on with me. No way I'm going to trust the air lines to take care of that stuff.. To me it's the same as bringing a laptop.. I'm keeping that with me at all times lest it disappear or get shattered/crushed.

nitrox_scuba_diver
09-25-2007, 16:01
I always pack my regs, computer, and mask in my carry on. Regs are so darn expensive to replace and if they loose my bag I still have the basic life support gear with me, and I know how often it's been serviced.:smiley20: Plus I wear a gauge reader mask.