PDA

View Full Version : Venice fossils tapped out?

Largo
07-31-2012, 20:39
Has anybody had any luck finding fossils in the Venice area in the last couple of years?

scubajane
07-31-2012, 21:35
ummmm...... YES!! check out fossilbabe.com

we were down there last month and the weather was terrible for diving so we did a land site for 2 days and brought home about 300 teeth!

Largo
08-01-2012, 07:50
Thanks for the reply. Did you find any megalodon teeth, or mastodon teeth?

fire diver
08-01-2012, 08:23
I heard a nasty rumor that they were going to do a beach renourishment program there. If that happens, fossil diving will be done for a long time.

Straegen
08-01-2012, 09:20
I heard a nasty rumor that they were going to do a beach renourishment program there. If that happens, fossil diving will be done for a long time.

I should get my butt in gear as I live a short drive south of Venice but still haven't made it up there for diving before they mess up the best reason to dive there.

Largo
08-01-2012, 10:23
There is no visibility (about 2 feet), but the charters still take people out. I haven't found anything in a long time.

Straegen
08-01-2012, 11:10
There is no visibility (about 2 feet), but the charters still take people out. I haven't found anything in a long time.I heard the vis completely sucked but hadn't heard about not finding anything. Maybe we will pass on the dives then. My wife and I love the sea life so shark tooth diving has never been a priority for us.

scubajane
08-01-2012, 20:04
HMMMMM....... are you you boys listening????? look up Main Page | Fossil Babe (http://www.fossilbabe.com) you can even find her on facebook... we found 1 mastadon tooth and 1 whole megalodon tooth and several broken meg teeth we found mako shark teeth and snagletooth shark teeth lemon shark teeth and whale ear bones.... and MORE.... fossilbabe does land site and dive sites and riverbed sites depending on the weather and season. and yes they are dumping tons of sand on SOME of the beaches but that is for the beach not for the dive sites....

Largo
08-01-2012, 21:17
A lot of the local charters talk about all of the big meg teeth their clients find, especially the amber ones. But, lately when I go on a charter, nobody finds much at all. I haven't found a decent sized, intact meg tooth in about 2 years. Recently, I've been having a hard time even finding small teeth.

scubajane
08-02-2012, 14:57
hmmm... I think maybe you are trying to drive people away from Venice???? some of the charters just dive the same place over and over. then you have to wait for a hurricane to stir things up . so go again after the next hurricane....

fossilbabe.com just sayin.....

Straegen
08-02-2012, 15:13
fossilbabe.com just sayin.....It doesn't sound like she dives for them but rather sifts for them on land and rivers. I did read she can schedule a dive with a local charter but not sure she goes along. I am not sure if the original thread point was in relation to diving for teeth or simply searching for teeth land, river, sea.

scubajane
08-02-2012, 20:08
she does dive for teeth but she has friends that have boats that take you out. she only has a small boat and kayaks unfortunately she has a 'real' job that limits her time in the water. she does weekend and evening hunts.

so yes, there are still lots of teeth in the area but you may have to go to land sites to find them.