PDA

View Full Version : No wonder it's on sale . .

Kingpatzer
09-20-2007, 21:42
Does anyone but me see the marketing problem here . . .

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DacorDarwinWristComputer

compare that with this:

http://www.darwinawards.com/

Now, let's take bets as to why it's on sale :)

FishFood
09-20-2007, 21:51
Heh...

Shhhh, now with your bad publicity they'll have to cut the price again ;)

crpntr133
09-21-2007, 00:20
Always thought that was a bad name for a computer.

JugglingMonkeys
09-21-2007, 01:58
it is cheap!

is it a good one?
apart from the name, that is...

wxboy911
09-21-2007, 07:23
So does anyone know the operational differences between this...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DacorDarwinWristComputer

and this?

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2

Charles R
09-21-2007, 08:04
Nothing they are the same computer remember Mares Bought Dacor I think they are phaseing out all of the Dacor stuff and only producing the Mares stuff

wxboy911
09-21-2007, 10:00
So by purchasing the one that says Dacor I could save $80? Seems like there should be more to it...Its almost like the short line at the Department of Motor Vehicle.

jo8243
09-21-2007, 10:33
Kinda like when Chevy tried to sell the Nova in Mexico, eh? No va.

TiroAfila
09-21-2007, 14:39
Dacor Darwin Wrist Computer ..Does anyone have any experience with this computer. If so, could you list Pros and Cons. I am looking for a Bottom Timer, but this is not much more expensive, and has user changeable batteries.

jo8243
09-21-2007, 15:09
Dacor Darwin Wrist Computer ..Does anyone have any experience with this computer. If so, could you list Pros and Cons. I am looking for a Bottom Timer, but this is not much more expensive, and has user changeable batteries.

Get a suunto gecko... I believe it can be used as a bottom timer only.

ScubaToys Larry
09-21-2007, 15:20

You are correct... when it comes down to it, I'm not sure why anyone looks at bottom timers when most all current dive computers can be used for that, and then have all the other functionality like playing back your dives, downloading, monitoring NDL levels, etc.

The only Con's we've had people mention, is it is rather large compared to the new smaller ones like the Oceanic Geo, or the Mares Nemo, and while you can change the batteries yourself, plan on going through AAA batteries in about 10 hours of time if you leave the back light on throughout the dives. You are looking at a hundred or more dives if you are not burning the back light all the time.

marchand
09-21-2007, 15:41
Larry is right, you do burn though batteries. however, the size isn't that noticeable after you get used to it. I have been diving mine for about 2 years now and at first thought it was bulky, you get used to it after a few dives.
I think that this would be a good choice if you want a bottom timer because if in the future you want something that will do more it can do more. why spend as much on a bottom timer if you are going to get a computer in the future? Also, the darwin will have a better resale value than a bottom timer.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 17:19
LOL...what a name. Kinda like naming something Nemo.

chace_nicole
09-23-2007, 19:11
I'm trying to get an idea of just how big the darwin is.
Female diver not wanting too huge of a face.
I checked divedacor.com & the site did not list measurements. I don't have to know EXACT, but ballpark would be great if anyone knows.
Thanks!

Theepdinker
09-23-2007, 21:08
Who cares about the name.
Does it suit your needs.
It's priced right if it does.

Theep

marchand
09-23-2007, 21:51
It is about 3 inches long by 3 inches wide by 1 inch thick

chace_nicole
09-23-2007, 22:19
thanks marchand...thats not TOO big 4 me :smiley20:
sounds like it will suit my needs perfectly.