PDA

View Full Version : What do we expect in the first day of Training...

cyclone
09-20-2007, 22:13
Newby here again...What do we expect in the first day of training? Is it physically hard? Are all the training the same or it varies from place to place?

ScubaToys Larry
09-20-2007, 22:19
There can be a little difference depending on the place. In our courses, the first thing will be get in the class and grade the test you took as a take home test. After we do that and talk about any questions folks missed, then we head to the pool. There we will have a quick swim test with under water, on top of the water, and treading water... and after that, we will toss on the gear and start with actual scuba stuff... reg recovery, mask clearing, equalizing, swimming with fins, etc

On the second day, we get into more of the complex skills like we'll teach you how to rescue an unconscious - non breathing diver, bring them up to the surface and start rescue breathing while towing them. Also skills like gear removal and replacement etc.

cyclone
09-20-2007, 22:26
How deep is the water for all this training?

ScubaToys Larry
09-20-2007, 22:27
Our pool is 12 feet deep in the deep end. Are you taking a class at our shop?

PlatypusMan
09-20-2007, 22:29
How deep is the water for all this training?

The ScubaToys pool has a maximum depth of approximately 14 feet, if I recall correctly. By the time you finish in the pool, you'll be more than ready for the Lake portion of the course.

You are taking the course at ScubaToys, right?

DevilDiver
09-20-2007, 22:29
Our pool is 12 feet deep in the deep end. Are you taking a class at our shop?

:smilie39: Should have been the first question........... Your pool sounds nice though!:smilie39:

ScubaToys Larry
09-20-2007, 22:35
Are you taking a class at our shop?

:smilie39: Should have been the first question........... [/quote]

Well, by looking at the profile of gear he bought, I was assuming that he did not get it from us. It's an "interesting" mix of gear that I hope none of my guys would recommend. Now sometimes people come in and say they want this and that, and they don't want to be talked out of anything, but I would hope my guys would have gotten him into different stuff, so I'm assuming he got the stuff at another shop - since somehow he got a full tank, along with all the gear. So then I was assuming he might be taking his class there as well...

coralcrazed
09-20-2007, 22:38
I did not do a weekend crash course so I remember that on my first day we did mostly class testing. than second day we were tested in the water like a 200 meter swim and treading water... than more class. the course was actually split with one day in the water and the next dry class day. it was good and I learned alot. take in as much as you can and ask alot of questions. read the chapters asked of you so you can be prepared for class and be honest with yourself if you need additional training in a specific area. hope that helps.

finflippers
09-20-2007, 22:42
I did not do a weekend crash course so I remember that on my first day we did mostly class testing. than second day we were tested in the water like a 200 meter swim and treading water... than more class. the course was actually split with one day in the water and the next dry class day. it was good and I learned alot. take in as much as you can and ask alot of questions. read the chapters asked of you so you can be prepared for class and be honest with yourself if you need additional training in a specific area. hope that helps.

Mine was one day class and one day pool alternating also.

cyclone
09-20-2007, 22:49
Our pool is 12 feet deep in the deep end. Are you taking a class at our shop? Hmmm...at DTC. We met a little late. I should have bought all my equipment with you and the training class. But then again, when I went there I spent close to $1000 worth of gears LOL...which is a good deal.

subsur
09-21-2007, 01:21
first day of training, let me remember... putting equipment together first of all and then on our four breathing underwater in a very shallow kid's pool - very basic and anti-climactic but cool nevertheless. deep pool was on the second day of training and that was much more fun.

jwdizney
09-21-2007, 08:42
Newby here again...What do we expect in the first day of training? Is it physically hard? Are all the training the same or it varies from place to place?
cyclone, if it's any help, i've been documenting my journey to certification through this thread:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3237&highlight=overcoming+underwater

and will update with results of the OW sessions after this weekend! this is a PADI course, and fundamentally the same requirements regardless of where you take it.

it's really has been a great journey for me, and i've really overcome some challenges!....... you'll do great!:smiley20:

Vercingetorix
09-21-2007, 12:43
I've received my training (OW,AOW, Rescue) from ScubaToys. The training is leisurely paced. You won't feel rushed. The swim tests that Larry mentioned ar just to ensure that you are comfortable in the watery environment. We did not do the 200 meter swim.

When we finally donned our scuba gear and breathed underwater forthe first time, we were all hooked.

cyclone
09-21-2007, 21:05
cyclone, if it's any help, i've been documenting my journey to certification through this thread:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3237&highlight=overcoming+underwater

and will update with results of the OW sessions after this weekend! this is a PADI course, and fundamentally the same requirements regardless of where you take it.

it's really has been a great journey for me, and i've really overcome some challenges!....... you'll do great!:smiley20:

Kewl, that is so great and fun to hear...I'll keep in touch...