PDA

View Full Version : How long the water stays warm before winter...

cyclone
09-20-2007, 22:23
I know there is a lot of variation from state to state. But I am more interested knowing it here around Texas. How long and around what Month of the year before the water gets really cold? Are divers here in Texas do it year round? And also I'm refering it to the lakes.

awap
09-20-2007, 22:35
I dive my local lakes (Belton & Stillhouse) year round. Oct is still quite comfortable. November sees low 60's, Dec is mid 50's, and Jan & Feb hits high 40's. Lots of neoprene, chemical heaters, and short, shallow dives. March & April bring fairly rapid warming back into the 60's and 70's.

diverdad
09-20-2007, 22:43
The only local diving that i done has been at CLEAR SPRINGS SCUBA PARK it is spring fed anything below 40' it gets pretty chilly, and that was in August. I hope that i will be able to hit some other local places soon.

DevilDiver
09-20-2007, 22:44
I know there is a lot of variation from state to state. But I am more interested knowing it here around Texas. How long and around what Month of the year before the water gets really cold? Are divers here in Texas do it year round? And also I'm refering it to the lakes.

Who said it was warm?:smiley5:
Actually summer surface temps at lakes run upper 70's to mid 80's but when you hit the thermocline it can drop by 8-10 degrees easy and I for one would not consider that warm.
Winter - forget it! Don't know and won't know. I will leave that part of the question to someone else...
Diving the gulf (Flower Gardens)the water starts warming around April low to mid 70's (Spring bring the Hammerheads) and in the summer it hits mid 80's (You can see some Whale Sharks if your lucky).:smiley20:

crpntr133
09-21-2007, 00:18
The big factor is the surface temp. If you can get cold below and warm up on the SI then it isn't as bad.
Anybody up for a 40 degree water temp dive? I don't stop diving and I live in Indiana.

Buoyant1
09-24-2007, 11:24
Heck, It stays fairly warm in Pensylvania until the end of November early December (cold out of the water though) the bottom of my quarry is always a nice balmy 42!

cummings66
09-28-2007, 17:52
In the Winter you want to go down as fast as you can, it's warmer the deeper you go down because it's 0 on top and warmer down below, outside temps not water. Water will range from ice to barely above, definitely warmer below. I've found typically there is no thermocline, or at least I can't feel one in the drysuit and it's usually around 36 or right about there at the coldest. Not too bad.

Kingpatzer
09-28-2007, 19:07
down below the second themocline in my local quarry it's always in the 40's. Rarely is the middle thermocline above 55.