PDA

View Full Version : Lake Travis

texdiveguy
09-21-2007, 00:34
Just got back from diving WP private today. In general the vis top/bottom of the water column has lessened just a tad from my dives last Friday. The best 'clear' water I found during my 3 dips was in the column from 80 to 115ffw approx. ....below around 130ffw the vis was reduced to anywhere from 4-6ft. with a 'reddish-brown hue' and some suspension in the water. Temps have only dropped a few degrees. Water conditions in the upper 80ffw vary a bit from 5-7ft. of vis...temps are warm...in the low 80'sF.

170ffw/77f
161ffw/78f
143ffw/79f

Had the site to myself with the exception of a fellow who did 1 dive while feeding the fish at the platform--lol. Watch out for dropping acorns!!

Hemlon
09-21-2007, 06:09
Good report, tex!

cjslandman
09-21-2007, 07:42
Headed that way later this afternoon... Any idea what the conditions at Mansfield Dam are? Also, how was viz above 80'?

Thanks

Charlie

texdiveguy
09-21-2007, 08:17
Headed that way later this afternoon... Any idea what the conditions at Mansfield Dam are? Also, how was viz above 80'?

Thanks

Charlie

I "have only heard" the vis is better at Mansfield.....vis in the upper water was estm. 5-7ft...bit cloudy.
Be safe and enjoy!

diverdad
09-21-2007, 18:39
Thanks for the dive report.

RECDiver
09-21-2007, 23:19
I was at Mansfield Park today. Dive 1 was off the nearside point of the cove. It was about 8 feet of vis down to about 30 feet, then a milky layer to 70 feet, then it cleared up again to 100 feet, then started clouding up again. Best vis was in the 70-80 foot range.
Dive 2 was at the dive area, but did not go below 40 feet. the vis was 8-10 feet. The water temp was 82-84 overall.

texdiveguy
09-21-2007, 23:49
I was at Mansfield Park today. Dive 1 was off the nearside point of the cove. It was about 8 feet of vis down to about 30 feet, then a milky layer to 70 feet, then it cleared up again to 100 feet, then started clouding up again. Best vis was in the 70-80 foot range.
Dive 2 was at the dive area, but did not go below 40 feet. the vis was 8-10 feet. The water temp was 82-84 overall.

Is it don't amazing at these HIGH water temps in Travis...wow.

RECDiver
09-22-2007, 13:34
Yep, I have never worn a .5mm skin below 100 feet in Lake Travis. I have worn it numerous times in the last couple of months below 100.

K-Valve
09-23-2007, 00:21
I was born and raised in the No. Dallas area, then spent 27 years in Alaska before finally returning home. I don't ever want to be cold again. So, I wear my wetsuit on just about every dive...even with the warm water at Travis. Call me whatever you'd like, but I'm all about staying warm these days! :smiley36:

I think the vis a Mansfield has been better than WP all summer. Today Skip and I did three dives...

104'........81 degrees
135'........80 degrees
165'........79 degrees

Vis was pretty good from the surface to 50'...probably 15'+. After that is started getting dark with particulates in the water increasing with depth. This was true to about 80' where it cleared up again. Vis remained at an excellent 20'+ until around 130' where it fell back a little, but remained very good to 165'.

Great diving with Skip today!!

texdiveguy
09-23-2007, 07:20
Thanks for your report!

I was born and raised in the No. Dallas area, then spent 27 years in Alaska before finally returning home. I don't ever want to be cold again. So, I wear my wetsuit on just about every dive...even with the warm water at Travis. Call me whatever you'd like, but I'm all about staying warm these days! :smiley36:

I think the vis a Mansfield has been better than WP all summer. Today Skip and I did three dives...

104'........81 degrees
135'........80 degrees
165'........79 degrees

Vis was pretty good from the surface to 50'...probably 15'+. After that is started getting dark with particulates in the water increasing with depth. This was true to about 80' where it cleared up again. Vis remained at an excellent 20'+ until around 130' where it fell back a little, but remained very good to 165'.

Great diving with Skip today!!

cjslandman
09-24-2007, 07:30
K-Valve and Old School...

Thanks for the great info at the Dam and all of your tips and info... We really enjoyed it...

Hope to dive with you soon... We always enjoy our trips to Austin...

Charlie

K-Valve
09-24-2007, 17:39
K-Valve and Old School...

Thanks for the great info at the Dam and all of your tips and info... We really enjoyed it...

Hope to dive with you soon... We always enjoy our trips to Austin...

Charlie

Well here's your chance! Check out the recent post "Lake Travis Boat Dive - Oct 6th". We're gonna have a great time!!

Timeliner
09-24-2007, 18:23
2 Dumb questions maybe but........

1. So where is the boat going to go or is that decided yet ?
2. How deep Ya'll gonna go ? ??

Feel free not to answer either one I'll understand :smiley36:

greyzen
09-24-2007, 18:29

Where are the dumb questions?

those both seem pretty dang important to me :)

K-Valve
09-26-2007, 14:19

Timeliner, I'm sorry I didn't see this post until just today. Unfortunately, both boats are full right now, but I can put you at the top of the waiting list if you think you might want to join us. :smiley13:

1. We don't know where we're going yet. We'll go with what the majority wants. I've been to Starnes and over to the walls and grottos under Tom Hughes and the Oasis. Who knows where we'll end up this time?

2. How deep? I don't know...how deep is Lake Travis? :smiley2: There will be a range of diver experience on the boat so whoever wants to keep shallow can and whoever wants to plan something deeper can. Shawn (Buba Dives) just expects everyone to stay within their experience and comfort zone.

RECDiver
09-26-2007, 15:39
You could ask Shawn to take you to Anchor Point, which is the point just to the north of Starnes Island. If you dive to the left of the point, with your back to Starnes, you can get as deep as you want. There is also a nice wall there. My guess in the 60-80 foot range, but the river channel runs along there in the deeper depths.
Another place is the east end of the Sometimes island chain, which is now underwater. Ya'll could look for the old screening plant that was used to make and send gravel to the construction site of Mansfield Dam. Shawn might have the coordinates since we did alot of diving along there last fall.

texdiveguy
09-26-2007, 15:44
You could ask Shawn to take you to Anchor Point, which is the point just to the north of Starnes Island. If you dive to the left of the point, with your back to Starnes, you can get as deep as you want. There is also a nice wall there. My guess in the 60-80 foot range, but the river channel runs along there in the deeper depths.
Another place is the east end of the Sometimes island chain, which is now underwater. Ya'll could look for the old screening plant that was used to make and send gravel to the construction site of Mansfield Dam. Shawn might have the coordinates since we did alot of diving along there last fall.

These sound interesting for sure....thanks for the location data!

ianr33
09-26-2007, 15:55
Ya'll could look for the old screening plant that was used to make and send gravel to the construction site of Mansfield Dam. Shawn might have the coordinates since we did alot of diving along there last fall.

If anybody has numbers for the screening (shaker) plant it would be worth a beer or 2 !!
I have been told that it is one of the best places to dive in Travis but have never been there myself. It is going to be deep at the moment, 150 ish ???

texdiveguy
09-26-2007, 16:01
Ya'll could look for the old screening plant that was used to make and send gravel to the construction site of Mansfield Dam. Shawn might have the coordinates since we did alot of diving along there last fall.

If anybody has numbers for the screening (shaker) plant it would be worth a beer or 2 !!
I have been told that it is one of the best places to dive in Travis but have never been there myself. It is going to be deep at the moment, 150 ish ???

Sounds like some extended range diving fun..... :-)

RECDiver
09-26-2007, 22:03
The structures from the plant were bulldozed into the river channel. There are some concrete columns that supported the tramway (some of which you see on some of the Sometimes island chain when the lake is down). It has been years since I have been there, but there are pieces of structure along the wall and over the wall into the channel. There are at least a couple of foundations that are near the channel. Some of the tramway support columns are 10-12 feet high, so they may show up on Shawn's sonar. He has a general idea of where it is located, so I think he could find it. Yes, it is great diving.

RECDiver
09-27-2007, 09:59
One more item. I don't know the experience level of the group, but safety/deco stops will be done in mid-water at the screening plant due to the higher lake level. Everyone should be comfortable with that and each diver should have a safety sausage and reel in case dive teams go in different directions. Being a Saturday, there may be lots of boat traffic in the area, thus another reason for safety sausage use.

texdiveguy
09-27-2007, 10:39
One more item. I don't know the experience level of the group, but safety/deco stops will be done in mid-water at the screening plant due to the higher lake level. Everyone should be comfortable with that and each diver should have a safety sausage and reel in case dive teams go in different directions. Being a Saturday, there may be lots of boat traffic in the area, thus another reason for safety sausage use.

Safety is ALWAYS first.....thanks for the reminder though.....always good to review the dive details!

K-Valve
09-27-2007, 11:45
Thanks for the info, RECDiver! That sounds like an interesting dive to say the least!

There will be folks on the boat without the experience/background/triaining to do that dive though. Is there diving in the area that's more in the 60'-90' range for them?