PDA

View Full Version : Backplate in carry-on?

WaScubaDude
09-21-2007, 02:25
Does anyone know for sure that steel or aluminum back plates are OK in CARRY-ON luggage? Who have you flown your backplate with and where recently?
Thanks

Aussie
09-21-2007, 02:36
Why do you want to carry your BP on as carry on? I just check in my BP and carry on things like regs, cameras, laptops.

Aussie

WaScubaDude
09-21-2007, 02:45
We travel to tropics and carry on everything. Couldn't do it if we had a bunch of other stuff. I plan to take on the next trip .5mm jump suit, reg set up complete and mask. As well as, a few clothes etc. We know so many people that don't arrive with their luggage. Every trip there is someone at our destination saying "we gotta go shopping cause the airline lost our luggage."

Aussie
09-21-2007, 02:51
Fair enough.

I cant see the problem with carrying on something like a BP. But airlines are little more relaxed over here (compared to places like Europe). Even more relaxed in the Pacific islands. Sit on the plane with chickens and pigs behind the seats.

Aussie

przeor
09-21-2007, 03:56
Does anyone know for sure that steel or aluminum back plates are OK in CARRY-ON luggage? Who have you flown your backplate with and where recently?
Thanks

We've gone to Roatan a few times (both Delta and Continental) and have had no problem carrying on. We fit it all in a carry on, BP/W, regs, mask, fins, comp- occasionally we get stopped at security for a minute because of the plate, but oddly enough it's usually the regs that they check out. Having had luggage show up late on a dive trip, I carry it all on now. (even manage to fit some clothes in there as well!)

Charles R
09-21-2007, 08:09
All Airports will allow you to carry on as long as it fits in the space they allow. I have never had trouble other than odd looks from security.

WaScubaDude
09-21-2007, 10:05
We get stopped with the regs, but at least when they open the bag they know what they are. So never any real trouble, just quick zip zip and on our way. The backplate is just kinda funny looking. Hope it gets the same response.

PlatypusMan
09-21-2007, 10:18
Keep space available in your checked luggage to hold it.

I have a friend who was forced to repack his backplate by airport security because they considered it for some strange reason a potential weapon. Happened on the way back into the United States from the Caribbean.

WaScubaDude
09-21-2007, 10:23
Keep space available in your checked luggage to hold it.

I have a friend who was forced to repack his backplate by airport security because they considered it for some strange reason a potential weapon. Happened on the way back into the United States from the Caribbean.

Great to know. We have no checked luggage. Maybe bring a folded labeled box to send it home if we need to.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 17:29
Try carrying on video gear. OH geez. A plate you should be fine but you never know.

scubasavvy
09-22-2007, 18:49
I can't see it being a problem as long as you make sure they know what its for.

scubasamurai
09-22-2007, 19:22
call the airlines and see. better yet just pack it and say nothing, but that could back fire as well. good luck

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 23:01
The airlines would probably tell you NO just so they don't have to figure it out. If they tell you yes is still doesn't mean that will be true when you get to the security point. I have seen times where they will let you take it to the gate but you have to give it to an attendant and they will put it in the hold.

I agree with quasimoto, try and check video gear!! Egads it can be a pain.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 17:07
I can't imagine someone considering a back plate a weapon. I suspect it's fine in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, there are the same people that said nail clippers could be a weapon...

CrzyJay456
09-24-2007, 18:43
I can't imagine someone considering a back plate a weapon. I suspect it's fine in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, there are the same people that said nail clippers could be a weapon...

as a torture method. just tie someone down and cut their nails till they cry!! down to the skins!!

eitherway. if they ask you, and you show them what it is, im sure it wont be a problem.

Flatliner
09-28-2007, 20:16
It REALLY shouldn't be a problem. One suggestion though. Pack it on top and take it out before running your stuff through the X-ray. They won't be able to make out anything else if you leave it in the bag and that sometimes irritates the crabbier TSA agents. At the very least, it will suggest to them that you have done this before, and it should avoid the hand search.

FyVe
09-30-2007, 19:59
make sure you strap a 12 inch knife on it if you are gonna try to get by in the airport :) lol..