PDA

View Full Version : silicone to preserve mask seal...

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 10:46
does anyone use silicone grease to lubricate and preserve masks and other silicone parts? are thre any bad effects on silicone mask seal? I als oheard that silicone grease will stain neoprene and change its color... is this true. thanks

crpntr133
09-21-2007, 13:51
I think that is probably a cure to a problem that doesn't exist. Even a little bit of grease would want to attract dirt and such. Not a good idea in my book.

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 17:07
I think that is probably a cure to a problem that doesn't exist. Even a little bit of grease would want to attract dirt and such. Not a good idea in my book.

I do keep my mask in a case... arfe you saying that the grease is not necessary??? would'nt the silicone crack if left untreated for many years? I dive on vacation once a year so I winterize it. not good huh?

DarkCoffee
09-21-2007, 19:48
I know that chlorine is he!! on rubber and silicone but does salt/fresh water have any noticeable effect? Other than that I would assume the only real issue is keeping the mask clean, dry and out of sunlight. I haven't seen the dive shops lubing their display stock. (Somehow that didn't come out right but I'll let the comment stand:smiley9:)

crpntr133
09-21-2007, 23:37
Shouldn't need to do anything with it. Put it back in the box clean and dry and leave it. I have heard that roaches like the silicone don't know if this is true.
From my experience with silicone grease you would never get all of it off the mask skirt without some type of chemical which I wouldn't want to use on my mask.Thus attracting every little speck of sand and grit that you would find on a dive boat.
I have my first mask that I bought 5 years ago and very rarely use. It sits in my dive box not covered and it still works fine.

coralcrazed
09-22-2007, 15:00
so should I ask... since no one uses this product on the mask. Is it useful for anything in diving? how about the dive knife? I use it on the knife as well.

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 16:05
The only thing that I know of that silicone grease is good for in diving is to lube o-rings. I use it on my video gear rings.

Texas Girl
09-23-2007, 09:31
I also put it on my dive knife and it has never rusted.

thesmoothdome
09-23-2007, 11:26
No need to use silicone grease on silicone parts of the mask. I have a mask that has been hanging in a garage for at least the last 12 years and while a little discolored, it still very pliable and in good shape.