PDA

View Full Version : getting scratches out?

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 10:58
is there any way of getting scratches out of mask lenses? or can you replace the lenses? does it just make scence to buy a new mask? thanks

mwhities
09-21-2007, 11:03
Can you see it while under water? I know if it's not a deep big scratch, you can't really see it under water. My Vyper's shield has scratches on it, I can't see them in the water.

Michael

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 11:10
Its not one scratch but a multitude of scratches in one area. tey are not that deep, no. However, I do see a foggy area when diving in only one area of the lense. It just gets in the way a bit.

I think the reason that I see it is that... are you ready? the scratches arfe on the inside... dry side of the lense. I think the little people in my life are responsible for that. when I ask them aboutit they each blame the other. tells methey did it but not sure who to ground :)

jpep
09-21-2007, 12:01
A rough rule of thumb is if the repair cost is less than 50% of a new item, then it pays to repair. If more than 50%, depending on the value of the old item and the repair costs, then generally it doesn't pay to repair.

Is it a single or 2 lens mask? If the latter, and the scratches are only on one lens, perhaps you can just get an inexpensive replacement to pop in... assuming it is not a prescription lens.

Another thought is get a new mask, and repair the old one, if economically feasible. That way, you'll have a back up... just in case.

Sounds like you'll also be storing your gear out of the little ones' reach. :smiley2:

Good Luck!:smiley20:

crpntr133
09-21-2007, 13:44
Most masks don't have replacement parts but some do. I would wager to say that it will cost almost as much as a new one. If all else fails watch E-bay.

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 17:04
thanks for all of the suggestions so far... My mask is the zeagle ebon, its a 2 lense mask. I love this thing and hope that I can just get the lense if its feasable. I will check into it. thanks again

paintsnow
09-21-2007, 19:35
pm scottzeagle
hes a rep for the company and hes on here and scubaboard, if you still go there...

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 20:14
pm scottzeagle
hes a rep for the company and hes on here and scubaboard, if you still go there...

I am in contact with him thanks... as far as scubaboard... yah I'm still there but honestly people here are much more easy going. I think I found a home :smiley9:

quasimoto
09-22-2007, 17:15
Call the factory and tell them your issue. Sometimes Scott gets busy and doesn't get back to you for a couple days. Good guy, good company.

scubasavvy
09-22-2007, 18:46
is there any way of getting scratches out of mask lenses? or can you replace the lenses? does it just make scence to buy a new mask? thanks

Makes sense to buy a new mask, but that depends on how much you paid for it. Sometimes toothpaste gets scratches out...

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 11:29
Have you tried going to a Lenscrafters or somepleace like that? they may have something to remove scratches from eye glasses, it MAY work on a mask???

Clanggedin
09-27-2007, 14:58
I have used Novus 2 to get scratches out of plastic/plexi/lexan. If your mask has a glass lens then lencrafters or any store that repairs glasses should be able to buff it out.

ScaredSilly
09-27-2007, 22:36
If glass - forget about it. If plastic there are some compounds that can be used while buffing the mask that can be used to remove the scratches. I am not sure about the compounds but they are out there.