PDA

View Full Version : Akumal - Riviera Maya

Subaqua
09-21-2007, 15:03
We're planning to go to Akumal (Riviera Maya) in april. Any suggestions about dive center. I found on internet Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Center and Akumal Dive Adventures. Anyone know them? I guess their prices are pretty the same, but I would like more info about them (is one of them more serious or nice than the others?)

Thanks

DevilDiver
09-21-2007, 15:15
We're planning to go to Akumal (Riviera Maya) in april. Any suggestions about dive center. I found on internet Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Center and Akumal Dive Adventures. Anyone know them? I guess their prices are pretty the same, but I would like more info about them (is one of them more serious or nice than the others?)

Thanks

I have dove with Dive Adventures multiple times and feel very comfortable recomending this shop. I have not dove with Akumal Dive Center but have been in the location. It is more of a store front than shop. Dive Adventures has a very nice set-up.:smiley20:

Subaqua
09-21-2007, 15:33
Thanks. Do you know if they give courses other than OW and AOW? We were thinking of doing the night diving speciality during our vacation. Any dive spots that you would particularly recommend?

peteg
09-21-2007, 15:59
Check out Yucatek Divers (http://www.yucatek-divers.com/)
Poddiver (http://poddiver.net/), an excellent podcast by the way, went to the Riviera Maya and featured an interview with them in a recent episode. (http://poddiver.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=222606)
Based on the interview their whole training philosophy sounded exactly like the kind of shop I'd want to dive with when traveling. And they offer the whole range of both recreational and tech diving.

DevilDiver
09-21-2007, 18:19

Thanks

I have dove with Dive Adventures multiple times and feel very comfortable recommending this shop. I have not dove with Akumal Dive Center but have been in the location. It is more of a store front than shop. Dive Adventures has a very nice set-up.:smiley20:

Here is the web site for Dive Adventuras it is located in the Marina of Puerto Aventuras. http://www.diveaventuras.com/

They have a full offering of classes available. Very nice- boats leave right out of the Marina. There are great resturants and shops there if you need to catch lunch while waiting for the afternoon dives.

islandguy
09-21-2007, 21:00
I have been to Akumal 4 times and I dive with Akumal Dive Center. I found them to be the most reasonable, and they are located right on the beach in Akumal. You are just a few feet away from the boat. The Akumal Dive Center is right next to Lol Ha and Hotel Akumal Caribe.

Subaqua
09-23-2007, 08:10
Thank you all,
I'll have a look at their website. Was the diving good, or should it be better in Cozumel?

MtnDiver
09-25-2007, 16:59
Cozumel diving will definitely be better. Akumal is ok and the convienience cannot be matched...we love Akumal...so much in fact we named our boat "La Buena Vida" (the good life) for a popular restaurant/nightspot there. Maybe we are spoiled from other main stream dive spots/locations....don't get me wrong, Akumal is nice, but the diving for us was just ok....

caroln
09-26-2007, 13:51
I agree that the diving in Akumal was just ok, but you are really close to the cenotes there, so you can do some cenote dives which is an awe inspiring experience. I highly recommend Dennis Weeks of Diablo Divers/Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras for cenote dives. He also has a nice boat out of Puerto Aventuras for ocean diving. We did a trip to Tortugas with them that was a lot of fun (although most of the tortugas seemed to be in hiding when we were there). Cozumel diving is definitely much better but I wouldn't turn down diving in the Akumal area either.

LCF
09-26-2007, 23:58
Dennis Weeks always comes up as one of the mostly highly recommended operators in the area, both for open water diving and for cenote tours. I haven't dived with him, but I've corresponded with him, and he was very pleasant and responsive.

Work on your buoyancy and trim between now and April, and then definitely spend some time in the cenotes. It's the most awe-inspiring diving (and one of the most awe-inspiring things, period) I've ever done.

Zeagle Eagle
11-24-2008, 13:58

Thanks
The Akumal dive center would not dive on my schedule, nor go to the cenotes I chose. They were also a little more expensive. I chose Scubaroo out of Playa Del Carmen and they came and picked us up at our resort. On the first day there was only one other diver, on the second day just us. Our DM was very professional and the diving awesome