PDA

View Full Version : Bonaire

chauncy19
10-28-2012, 12:42
well I am returning to Bonaire again next year. Will be there twice. Once in March and again in July. Seems like I am getting there now twice a year. Twice last year. March and July. July in Bonaire and november in Curacao 2010.
Did Nitrox cert. this past July. Stayed at Buddy's. Not a big fan of Buddy's but yes I a big Fan of Bonaire!
Will be staying again this March at the Black Durgon Inn and this summer at Windsock resort. Another first at Windsock resort. Have now stayed once at the Plaza, and Buddy's. Its not for everyone but the Black Durgon works for me. this will be atleast 7 times there.

:smiley36:

Zenagirl
10-29-2012, 07:05
We love Bonaire as well, though we don't get there twice a year...lucky you! We always stay at Den Laman for 2 weeks when we go, and we're returning next summer for 2 weeks and I can't wait! We love how relaxing and laid back a trip to Bonaire is, even with doing 4 dives per day.

chauncy19
10-29-2012, 14:39
Zenagirl,
although I have never stayed at Den Laman I did check it out once. Very nice place and people. my only real concern was how busy the dive dock was. this was somewhat of a turn off for us though as we are use to diving pretty much alone. When I go in summer its usually part of a group. Not so alone then :-)

Zenagirl
10-29-2012, 17:38
Yeah, the dive dock can be crowded, but we always go off site for our first 3 dives of the day (prefer the southern sites), have lunch at about 1:00, a siesta, then we do our last dive on Bari Reef. We've found that diving at around 3:00 the dock is pretty quiet. Also, next summer should be very interesting now that Sand Dollar isn't using BDA as their dive op, thus not using the dock anymore. It'll be interesting to see if BDA can survive without Sand Dollar, or if some folks will stay with BDA even though Dive Friends is now their "official" dive op.

Clernix
10-30-2012, 13:03
We will be in Sand Dollar 12/31/12-01/08/12. Can anyone offer a review on the Condos?

chauncy19
10-30-2012, 14:37
Clernix,
have never stayed but do know people that have. they really liked it. raved about it but I have no review besides that. Many maybe all are individually owned so there is some difference in decorating i would guess. but i am just guessing.
Zenagirl can give you more insight into diving part for sure as Den Laman is right there.

scubajane
10-30-2012, 16:54
I have some friends that always stay at sand dollar. I have never stayed there but HEY just being in Bonaire is good

snagel
10-30-2012, 18:35
Ahhh Man...my favorite place in the world...Bonaire, Den Laman, and Bari Reef. Usually get a balcony overlooking the pier and relax and watch the divers when not in the water......paradise to me.

The wife was bugging me the other day about what my last wishes are and what she is suppose to do with me when that day comes. (Wonder what she is planning). I told her to take me to Bonaire and scatter me along Bari Reef.

Snagel

Zenagirl
10-30-2012, 18:35
Sand Dollar condos are individually owned and decorated, so they vary as far as condition, decor, etc. are concerned. They also don't have A/C in the living rooms.

Sand Dollar people used to use the dive dock in front of Den Laman but since they're now using Dive Friends, they'll be diving from an area right in front of the resort. The dock in front of Den Laman is for customers of Bonaire Dive and Adventure only. Bari is a super easy reef. You simply drop down, swim to the edge of the wall, then drop down the wall to your desired depth. Go either left or right to your turn around pressure, then head back. Oh wait, I think I just described just about ALL of the diving on Bonaire!

Snagel, I'm with you....nothing better than relaxing on the ocean front balcony at Den Laman! We've even stayed in the same condo on our last 2 visits and have it reserved again next year. :)

SEMO Scuba
10-30-2012, 20:46
I stayed at Sand Dollar twice in 2008. Our condos were o.k. both times. They were not 5 star, but they were well equipped with good furnishings. The beds were comfortable, and there were two full bathrooms. Our condos had A/C in the living room as well as both bed rooms, and our A/C worked well. I think most, if not all the condos are privately owned, so the furnishings are picked by the owners. We did have working TV in the living room. The wireless internet did not work from our room. We went to the tables outside the ice cream shop next door to use the internet.

snagel
10-31-2012, 05:44
So, let me get this straight (haven't been back in Bonaire for several years)...is there a new Dive Shop and/or a new dock in front of Sand Dollar now? I've always enjoyed BDA and thought there service was great...what's up?

Snagel

Zenagirl
10-31-2012, 09:39
There is a new dive op located near the office, but there isn't a dive dock yet. Apparently a dive dock is in the works within the next year.

Good to know that some if the SD units have A/C in the living rooms....the units I've had friends stay at didn't...so that must be owner specific as well.

Clernix
10-31-2012, 13:49
Zen baby I am leaving Ohio in December I want to sweat as much as I can. Turn up the heat baby and let me fry!

snagel
10-31-2012, 17:24
I've been in two units at Sand Dollar the first was a one room and had AC. The 2nd had 2 bedrooms and living area. All three areas had AC (wall units).

Snagel

buton
11-01-2012, 07:02
good bonaire information... i guess i will start planning going there next year!!!

Zenagirl
11-01-2012, 07:10
We always go to Bonaire in July (no cruise ships, low season, fewer divers) and it is FAR too hot to manage without A/C!! Some folks use the A/C to simply drive the mosquitos from their bedrooms before going to sleep at night. That's another reason we like being on the 3rd floor, I can't remember ever seeing a mosquito in our condo. :)

snagel
11-01-2012, 11:37
We always go to Bonaire in July (no cruise ships, low season, fewer divers) and it is FAR too hot to manage without A/C!! Some folks use the A/C to simply drive the mosquitos from their bedrooms before going to sleep at night. That's another reason we like being on the 3rd floor, I can't remember ever seeing a mosquito in our condo. :)

3rd floor, Den Laman, overlooking Bari Reef???? That is our condo!

Snagel

chauncy19
11-01-2012, 12:05
Zenagirl,
you make den laman sound very attractive. the idea of third floor sounds great. reduced mosquitos is great. view sounds great.
Does seem though that besides the cruise ships its getting pretty busy on Bonaire in the summer. maybe the recession is over :-)
I am usually there March and July and last year cruise ships not being around in July was great.

Zenagirl
11-01-2012, 17:34
3rd floor, Den Laman, overlooking Bari Reef???? That is our condo!

Snagel

If you stay in 3L, then that's the one we always get!

snagel
11-02-2012, 06:30
Can't remember the room number, but 2br with a large outdoor patio that over looks the water.....Heaven.

Zenagirl
11-02-2012, 07:04
Nope, we stay in a 1-bedroom.........but we're still obviously kindred spirits anyway. ;)

Clernix
11-02-2012, 12:05
We have a two bedroom ground floor unit with a large patio. I can already feel the cool breeze in the morning with my tea. I swear I will be up at the crack of dawn every day to see every sun rise.

snagel
11-02-2012, 19:10
The worse thing about the 3rd floor is walking up all the stairs with luggage and carrying gear at the end of the trip to dry out on the balcony. But, if that is the only thing.....I can live with it.

Snagel

scubajane
11-02-2012, 22:22
hmm.... diving or real life...... you choose.....

snagel
11-03-2012, 09:49
I guess we officially hijacked this thread...sorry Chauncy19. You can see there is a lot of passion for Bonaire. Have a great time on your trips to the Holy Land. Can't wait to read your trip reports.

Snagel

chauncy19
11-03-2012, 10:14
snagel no problem glad there are others who love the place too.

scubajane
11-03-2012, 19:25
was their a hijack here????

chauncy19
02-22-2013, 12:40
okay hope to be leaving for Bonaire next friday march 1 if the weather gods cooperate. being in cold NE it will be good to get out of here.
will start packing and counting down tomorrow :-)

snagel
02-22-2013, 17:48
Have fun and would love to be going with you. Hopefully, we make it back there this year some time.

Can't wait to read the trip report....hint, hint....

Snagel