PDA

View Full Version : regulator reccomendation?

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 20:12
I know that there were probably many of these type of threads out there. But I think this one is a little bit different because of its specifics

I am a vacation recreational diver that dives exclusively in warm water and want to buy my own gear for many reasons. Can you recommend a good starter Regulator. please provide model and make and reason why you recommend it. Please also say if it is a diaphragm or piston style and how many ports you would recommend ect. also would you recommend adjustable regs or the bare bone simple one. I dive mostly 60-90 foot dives. rarely shallower and rarely deeper.

I am just overwhelmed with the options out there and the many retailors that I have spoken to have been great but I would like actual user feedback. thanks so much

DevilDiver
09-21-2007, 20:32
I wouldn't call it a beginner Reg. It's an all around great Reg. for the price...

Zeagle Envoy Rezort Regulator

The Zeagle Envoy ReZort Regulator has a Flow-by Piston design 1st stage that provides much greater reliability and servicabilty compared to conventional designs, while improving responsiveness and performance at all breathing rates. The Zeagle Envoy ReZort Regulator comes factory ready for use with NITROX up to 40%.
This regulator is becoming one of more popular choices when it comes to pony setups!

Work of breathing at heavy demand*: 1.33 Joule/Liter

The Zeagle Envoy ReZort Regulator FIRST STAGE FEATURES:

High Performance Porting
Flow-by Piston
Yoke or DIN inlet available
4 Low Pressure Ports (3/8"-24 UNF)
2 High Pressure Ports (7/16"-20 UNF)
Weight 1.4 lb. (.64 kg.)
Intermediate Pressure: 125-150 psi (8.6-10 bar)The Zeagle Envoy ReZort Regulator SECOND STAGE FEATURES:

Downstream valve
Balanced Diaphragm
Dive/Pre Dive Venturi Control
Weight: .42 lb. (.26 kg) ( w/o hose)Hose Length: 30 in. (.76 m)

Price: $269.95 at ST!!!

jo8243
09-21-2007, 22:02
I'll 2nd the zeagle suggestion... can't go wrong with them.

Another option I'd suggest is scubapro. If you're looking to save money, the MK2+ 1st stage and whatever 2nd stage they are pairing it with nowdays would be fine. The design has been around since the 60s and is tried and true. I have one myself and have no complaints. I've used it on probably 75 dives just like the type you describe.

These days it's on my pony bottle and I have a MK17 as my main 1st stage. Can't go wrong with scubapro.

But... since ST carries zeagle, I'd probably go with it if I had it all to do over..

CrzyJay456
09-21-2007, 22:05
since you dive warm water, and not deep dives, pretty much any reg you wanna use will be fine, and then preferences come in to play.

marchand
09-21-2007, 22:10
Sounds like you need to buy my Dacor 460, its a great reg. I recently took it to 125ft with no problems. You would have to convince me to sell it though…

Capt Hook
09-21-2007, 22:10
My advice would be to look at the Aqualung line.

ertechsg
09-21-2007, 22:15
60 -90 ft warm water any reg will work... just what is in your budget... buy one thats on sale at ST you'll spend less than $200

jo8243
09-21-2007, 22:18
I'll add to what I said above... I agree with the others that almost any reg will be fine. The MK2+ I referred to earlier was designed in the 1960s. I recently upgraded to a MK17, which is a much higher performance reg. But in all honesty I cannot tell one bit of difference between the two for the type of diving I do (like you).

If you're gonna buy from ST, just pick up a zeagle resort like the first poster suggested and be done with it....

awap
09-21-2007, 22:19
Go to your favorite scuba retailer and tell him what you are looking for. Then come back, if you would like, with a model and a price just to verify that nobody is taking advantage of you.

coralcrazed
09-21-2007, 22:41
I'll be the first to admit that I think the problem is that I'm just starting my resurch on regs and don't know enough... I don't think that anyone is trying to take advantage... well :) anyway, I just want to understand some of the differences and that is why I ask the diving community. Now having said that, I wonder if anyone out ther would be kind enough to tell me some basic features and benefits of reg's and what you feel is important to look for. thanks

hey what do you guys think of the mares brigade viper octo?
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=viperocto

ertechsg
09-21-2007, 22:50
I use an aris pro paid $200 on sale.. not made anymore under that name now called a 400 dry valve nice feel thats the big thing is comfort ..how does it feel in your mouth. for you type of diving piston or diaphram shouldn't make any diff ...mine is also adjustable I never use it except playing around . if you plan on a lot of free flow then get one thats adj or have a tech adj it for you so the is no free flow there is alot out there but most reg are the same until you get in to High $$$

keyshunter
09-22-2007, 06:15
If your warm water diving is going to take you out of the US, (as much as I like Zeagle and Apeks regs) I suggest you stick with Aqua Lung, Scubapro, or Sherwood, since it is much easier to get emergency service on these brands in many foreign locations.

Zenagirl
09-22-2007, 06:46
There aren't any dangerous or bad new regs out on the market anymore, and the differences in breathing is pretty small as evidenced by ScubaLab testing. You can spend $1000 or $200 and both will be fine, particularly for the diving you're planning to do. Now if we were talking tri-mix, high levels of O2, or ice diving, this conversation would be very different.

My husband and I dive Zeagles and before we leave the country to dive for 2 weeks next summer, we'll simply buy a reg parts kit from ST and put it in our save a dive kit. Any technician could work on our regs if they have the parts, which we'd be able to supply.

creggur
09-22-2007, 07:41
I would recommend the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe.....
Balanced diaphragm 1st, balanced 2nd..
Great, dry breather, and scored perfect on SD mags tests...
Zeagle's rep for customer service, and Scott's availability here for questions
Free parts for annual service for life

Adjustable 2nd, and here's why...My wife and I got Envoy's to begin with. On our 2nd dive my wifes developed an ever-so-slight free-flow. Now the adjustment for this is pretty simple, however with the Deluxe it's just a matter of twisting the adjustment knob a tad and presto....No free-flow. Not to mention the ability to compensate for free-flows in a heavy current, and keep the breathing as easy as you want it....We sent ours back to ST and had the adjuster kits installed, should have gone with the Deluxe to begin with.....I mean in testing this thing scored a 1.03 J/l WOB at 198FSW on a 750 PSI inlet pressure....Pretty impressive!!!

If you ever decide to get a little more "advanced" with your diving you can have your Deluxe's 1st environmentally sealed for about $50.00...I just think it's a great reg at a great price!!!!

Good Luck....

awap
09-22-2007, 08:42
I'll be the first to admit that I think the problem is that I'm just starting my resurch on regs and don't know enough... I don't think that anyone is trying to take advantage... well :) anyway, I just want to understand some of the differences and that is why I ask the diving community. Now having said that, I wonder if anyone out ther would be kind enough to tell me some basic features and benefits of reg's and what you feel is important to look for. thanks

hey what do you guys think of the mares brigade viper octo?
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=viperocto

I understand. Part of the problem is advertisers seem to like to disguise their products' features in fancy sounding phrases. Like the Zeagal Envoy features posted above. They claim their 2nd stage has a "balanxced diaphram". What is interesting about that is that ALL 2nd stages that I know of have a "balanced diaphram". But it sounds good. And the 1st stage "flow by" piston. I believe that means it is an unbalanced piston design. Such a designs tends to be very simple and reliable; but usually on the lower end of the performance scale. However it would be quite adequate and appropriate for the type of diving you plan to do.

I must admit that I am biased toward user adjustable 2nd stages which are usually only on high end 2nds not commonly paired with low end 1st stages.
I dive older Scubapro regs and use the adjustments often to reduce any tendency to freeflow, but I'm probably the exception rather than the rule. My wife dives a newer adjustable (Scubapro S600) and never uses the adjustable feature.

If you go with a good retailer, it will be hard to go wrong. Why don't you just call Scubatoys where you can be confident you will get a good deal.

coralcrazed
09-22-2007, 13:39
I have read, resurched (still resurching:) ) all of your suggestions. what do you guys think about this package deal... any idea how heavy this is? thanks again you are all so helpful in my decision making.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleTusaPack

I would recommend the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe.....
Balanced diaphragm 1st, balanced 2nd..
Great, dry breather, and scored perfect on SD mags tests...
Zeagle's rep for customer service, and Scott's availability here for questions
Free parts for annual service for life

Adjustable 2nd, and here's why...My wife and I got Envoy's to begin with. On our 2nd dive my wifes developed an ever-so-slight free-flow. Now the adjustment for this is pretty simple, however with the Deluxe it's just a matter of twisting the adjustment knob a tad and presto....No free-flow. Not to mention the ability to compensate for free-flows in a heavy current, and keep the breathing as easy as you want it....We sent ours back to ST and had the adjuster kits installed, should have gone with the Deluxe to begin with.....I mean in testing this thing scored a 1.03 J/l WOB at 198FSW on a 750 PSI inlet pressure....Pretty impressive!!!

If you ever decide to get a little more "advanced" with your diving you can have your Deluxe's 1st environmentally sealed for about $50.00...I just think it's a great reg at a great price!!!!

Good Luck....
is there a link to the article online? I wish I kne what the testing data realey means... I am one of those folk who has a need to know how the darn thing works. I am pretty technical so you know what you can expect from me... :)

creggur
09-22-2007, 21:40
is there a link to the article online? I wish I kne what the testing data realey means... I am one of those folk who has a need to know how the darn thing works. I am pretty technical so you know what you can expect from me... :)

I don't have the link handy, but if you go to Scuba Diving Magazines website and search for Envoy Deluxe the test that they performed will come up.

Or you can go to the Envoy Deluxe on Zeagle's website I believe they have the article their as well as all of the test data....