PDA

View Full Version : Diving in Dallas

scubadiver888
12-08-2012, 21:56
Greetings and salutations from the Great White North. If all goes well I will be working in Dallas next year. I'm definitely going to make a trip or two to the ScubaToys store.

I was wondering, is there any diving in the Dallas area (any diving is good diving)?

Where does ScubaToys doing its training? Is the OW and AOW training in the same spot?

snagel
12-08-2012, 22:20
Several spots listed in Texas at www.midwestmuckdiving.com

scubadiver888
12-08-2012, 22:41
Thanks snagel. I'll check it out.

Are any of these near Dallas? I think I'm working near the DFW airport. I am hoping I can work the occasional 8am to 4pm or maybe even a 7am to 3pm then head right out to diving from work. If it is like my current gig I fly in Monday morning, fly out Thursday night and work from home on Friday. I'll probably stay for two weeks in the summer so I can get some diving in for the weekend.

I remember people here talking about CSSP. Is that near Dallas?

snagel
12-09-2012, 02:12
I'm not real sure never dove around Dallas...obviously, somebody will be along who knows a lot more about the Dallas area than me. I hear about CSSR and Lake Travis quite a bit, but not sure how close they are to Dallas.

scubadiver888
12-09-2012, 09:04
Just mapped Lake Travis and it is over 3 hours south of Dallas. :(

That would require me to stay for the weekend and do a weekend dive. Maybe I'll make that happen later in the summer.

I've been trying to figure out what CSSP stands for. Finally found it. Try searching her for "crystal springs scuba park" and stumbled upon "Clear Springs Scuba Park" in Terrell, TX. Looks to be around 35 minutes to an hour from the Dallas area (depending on where I end up).

Defman
12-09-2012, 10:22
The best part about Texas diving is that you're only a couple of hours from Cozumel.....

scubadiver888
12-10-2012, 01:05
how much would it cost to go to Cozumel? Is it possible to go in the morning, get some dives in and come back in the evening?

navyhmc
12-10-2012, 01:37
888...THINK about what you just asked my friend.... How long after repetative dives should one wait to fly? 24 hours as I recall. Now it would be possible to go down on a monday and come back tuesday night

scubadiver888
12-10-2012, 08:25
Doh. That is what I get for posting at 2am after a long flight. I have to work monday to friday. So I'll have to fly out Saturday morning, diving Saturday afternoon, fly back Sunday night.

Two more weeks and I get a break for Christmas. I'll research Dallas to Cozumel during the break.

Thanks Navy.

Bigg_Budd
12-10-2012, 09:07
there is no where to dive "near" dallas except a pool.

if you are by DFW then you are (give or take) 1.5 hours from CSSP, 2 hours from Athens Scuba Park (sucks), and 4 hours from Lake Tavis. CSSP is fun, and worth a day trip.

scubadiver888
12-10-2012, 09:46
Thanks Bigg_Budd. I'll definitely have a look at CSSP for a day trip and maybe go for a weekend dive at Lake Travis.

scubadiver888
12-19-2012, 00:06
:smiley13:

No Dallas for me. Someone in Cincinnati needs to leave the project. So looks like I'm heading to Cincinnati right after the holidays.

Some day I'll make it back to Dallas (and ScubaToys).

Clernix
12-19-2012, 12:02
How long will you be in Cincy?

bfmorgan
12-19-2012, 15:47
As long as you are there for a few months (as in when the snow melts), you are about 2.5 hours from Gilboa Quarry, 3.5 hours from Lake Erie, and about 3-3.5 hrs. from White Star Quarry. Not exactly warm water diving, but fun dives anyway. We might have to set up a meet and greet at one of the dive sites. Davetowz is down in Ohio and is an active diver, I think he even dives during the winter in a dry suit.

scubadiver888
12-19-2012, 16:32
How long will you be in Cincy?

Not sure yet. Phase 1 ends March 1st but I think Phase 2 is going until June. I just got the word yesterday. So I'm still getting all the details.

As long as you are there for a few months (as in when the snow melts), you are about 2.5 hours from Gilboa Quarry, 3.5 hours from Lake Erie, and about 3-3.5 hrs. from White Star Quarry. Not exactly warm water diving, but fun dives anyway. We might have to set up a meet and greet at one of the dive sites. Davetowz is down in Ohio and is an active diver, I think he even dives during the winter in a dry suit.

I actually live 200 metres from Lake Ontario. So I'm no stranger to Great Lakes Diving. Niagara/Lake Erie is around 3 hours from my house. So diving Gilboa Quarry sounds interesting.

Maybe some week I'll drive down. It is a 9 hour drive from my house to Cincinnati but it goes right by Gilboa Quarry. Unfortunately, I'll have to work it out with the company. Flying is still cheaper than driving. Might have to swallow the extra costs. Maybe the money I save not renting a car in Cincinnati will balance things out.