PDA

View Full Version : D-Day

TGK
02-09-2013, 08:26
Well today is the day.....

snagel
02-09-2013, 08:37
You'll do fine. Go out there and have fun and remember everybody else is as nervous as you are.

Snagel

bfmorgan
02-09-2013, 15:12
Dive report expected. If you are using a lot of superlatives and adjectives in the report it is probably too late. You are addicted.

TGK
02-09-2013, 17:11
So day 1 is done. It was awesome! I was starting to get the hang of it, but think I will need lots of trips after the class to get better.

bfmorgan
02-09-2013, 19:35
So day 1 is done. It was awesome! I was starting to get the hang of it, but think I will need lots of trips after the class to get better.

Yes, that is what I always tell my wife when I schedule a dive trip! More trips make me a better diver.

TGK
02-09-2013, 19:53
I told her about the Scuba Toys trip and she informed me I was not going down there without her and I told her she should scuba.

PlatypusMan
02-09-2013, 19:56
I told her about the Scuba Toys trip and she informed me I was not going down there without her and I told her she should scuba.

Now you're getting the hang of it....

TGK
02-10-2013, 07:09
Lol

Should I be sore this morning?

navyhmc
02-10-2013, 10:13
If you did things right, yes.

Diver Kat
02-10-2013, 10:24
Practice -practice-practice!! :smiley20:

Yup ... she needs to get certified too!! The hubby & I got certified together 10 years ago. Makes vacation planning sooo much easier - we both want to go diving! :smiley36:

TGK
02-10-2013, 14:52
Kat I tried with her and my 13 year old daughter and both of the said no.

bfmorgan
02-10-2013, 16:18
Lol

Should I be sore this morning?

Depends on the tone of voice that you used to deliver the ultimatum:smiley2:

bfmorgan
02-10-2013, 18:43
Seriously, if your first pool session was the swimming test, unless you have been preparing for this by putting in a lot of pool time, you will be sore. The good news, this is the hardest class. The rest is challenging, but fun.

One of the last skills will be the NAUI scuba bailout or in my class we called it NAUI WOWEE! After learning all of the other skills NAUI WOWEE looked like it would be one of the biggest challenges of the course. Instead it was a lot of fun, and helped to confirm that my skills were progressing nicely.

Sorry, I warned you that this was an addiction. From your comments you are hooked, so dive often and enjoy.

Davetowz
02-10-2013, 19:32
Congrats! tell them that we have cookies and Bacon. May you be hooked on diving for life or longer :)

snagel
02-10-2013, 19:50
Sounds like you are having a fun time. Don't push others into scuba, it never ends up good. A person has to want to do for their own reasons. If they are only doing it because somebody else wants them to do it, it could lead to issues and maybe even disaster.

I was certified 5 years before her. One day she decided she wanted to do it and I jumped on it and supported her. Up to that point, she didn't want to do it, but after seeing how much fun I had maybe that changed her mind...who knows.

Stay in there it will be over before you know it.

Snagel

Steveo
02-10-2013, 20:34
TGK, Even though my wife was not interested in diving, talking her into going to a warm beautiful beach was pretty easy.
I was fortunate and had a good friend that dives and his wife go with us.
It was great and we have been to a warm beautiful beach somewhere 3-4 times a year ever since.
Does your family enjoy the water?
If they enjoy the water and outdoors show them some of the pictures here on the forum and introduce them to the spectacular underwater world.
If they are interested it provides you with a perfect way to introduce them to snorkeling.
Many diving destinations also have snorkeling available.
This is important, be patient, my wife was not interested at all in snorkeling as she was afraid of the water.
She enjoyed the beach and I only did 2 dives a day so we could still spend time together.
Eventually she became interested in learning how to swim, which slowly progressed to snorkeling.
She got an inexpensive water resistant camera and really started to enjoy snorkeling.
I must provide a warning here, as my wife became an avid snorkeler she wanted masks, fins, and snorkels to match her swim suits.
She now has more masks and fins than I do.
Good luck I hope some of this helps. Steveo

TGK
02-10-2013, 21:33
My wife and daughter love the beach...as crazy as this might sound, I HATE going to the beach. Laying on sand, or wading chest deep in the water has never been very appealing to me.

This brings me to another question. I have looked at some of the trips out of South Padre Island (where we usually go every summer) and saw a couple of interesting trips. But if it's just me, can I still go since I won't have a buddy? How do you guys deal with that?

navyhmc
02-10-2013, 21:56
If you're going on a charter, let them know you need a buddy and you're a new diver, most charters are very good about helping you not only buddy up but ensure you're safe in the process. There are instabuddy horror stories, but for the most part, all of mine have been great!

TGK
02-10-2013, 22:05
Do they make you wear a "new diver" button? :-)

So what happens if I am the only single diver? Do they just not let me go?

Tom H
02-10-2013, 22:15
My wife and daughter love the beach...as crazy as this might sound, I HATE going to the beach. Laying on sand, or wading chest deep in the water has never been very appealing to me.

This brings me to another question. I have looked at some of the trips out of South Padre Island (where we usually go every summer) and saw a couple of interesting trips. But if it's just me, can I still go since I won't have a buddy? How do you guys deal with that?

I've not yet had a problem being buddied up on the boat. I do tell them well ahead of time. I did an oil rig dive out of South Padre a couple of years ago. We were told to stay within the "legs" of the rig and you won't get lost.

bfmorgan
02-11-2013, 18:59
If you don't have a buddy on a boat dive consider paying for a dive master to dive with you. As a new diver you will have a tendency to be a speed demon. Diving with an experienced diver will make you slow down. A DM can point out a lot of marine life that you would miss due to inexperience.

TGK
02-11-2013, 21:55
If you don't have a buddy on a boat dive consider paying for a dive master to dive with you. As a new diver you will have a tendency to be a speed demon. Diving with an experienced diver will make you slow down. A DM can point out a lot of marine life that you would miss due to inexperience.

Expensive?

PlatypusMan
02-15-2013, 00:08
Expensive?

Define 'expensive'. What's it worth to you to have an experienced buddy working strictly to see to it that YOU have a good experience and stay safe?

TGK
02-17-2013, 19:52
So I finished today and am all certified and all!!!

bfmorgan
02-17-2013, 20:27
Congratulations! Enjoy the addiction!

Glub000
02-17-2013, 20:28
Congrats!!! Welcome to the big pool.

PyrateDiver
02-17-2013, 20:42
wohooooo big step

snagel
02-17-2013, 21:01
Congrats....see now, you made it through. Now the real learning begins. Time to go diving and work on the experience.

Snagel

navyhmc
02-17-2013, 23:13
Most excellent! Like the others have said, the real learning begins now. But the good news is the school is the best in the world: The worlds' oceans, seas and waterways. The teachers and tutors are great to. If you head up this way, drop me a line, I'll see what we can do.

bfmorgan
02-18-2013, 15:04
Expensive?
It depends on the dive charter, but I would expect it to be less than $100.00

AfterDark
01-06-2014, 22:53
My wife is my dive tender. When we go down to NC she gets up with me @ 0600 helps me load the car, goes to the dock helps me unload the car and bring the gear on the boat. Then she helps get everything sorted out. We go have a quick breakfast she drives me back to the dock. She goes to the beach which she loves and I detest or to the art galleries ect. She knows more about diving and diving gear then most divers. The people on the boat ask me why she's not diving today. When they are told she isn't a diver at all they're shocked! Get her involved somehow.