PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle BackPlate and Harness

marchand
09-22-2007, 17:17
I've been looking into getting a bp/w setup and was looking at zeagle. Why is Zeagle's harnesses for the backplate so expensive?
I found the SS plate for about $95, but with the harness the same site wants $264. Why does it cost $170 for the harness?

Another question that I have is why does Zeagle not have a STA for the backplate?

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 23:33
I paid under $200 for the BP and harness. Actually I think I paid under $150 but wouldn't swear to it. Take a look at the one for $264, something is screwy. I would say that it includes the wing but I doubt it. $95 for a SS plate is a nice price.

You don't need a STA that is why they don't sell one. Simply thread your straps through the plate and dive a single.

marchand
09-23-2007, 07:56
I paid under $200 for the BP and harness. Actually I think I paid under $150 but wouldn't swear to it. Take a look at the one for $264, something is screwy. I would say that it includes the wing but I doubt it. $95 for a SS plate is a nice price.

You don't need a STA that is why they don't sell one. Simply thread your straps through the plate and dive a single.

It doesn't include the wing, I'm sure of it.

With just strapping the tank to the plate are you sure that it wont role from side to side?

Aussie
09-23-2007, 09:37

With just strapping the tank to the plate are you sure that it wont role from side to side?

With the two webbing cylinder straps they dont move at all. Very secure.

Aussie

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 10:12

Are you questioning Zeagles design??!! (shakes head):D
Be sure and get tank straps that have the rubber piece that will go between the tank and the plate. Helps with the tank not slipping.

marchand
09-23-2007, 13:01
ok, straps with rubber pieces, and no need for STA.

I was not questioning Zeagle's design, just trying to understand it.

Again, why is it so expensive? I would like to hear what Scott has to say.

ScaredSilly
09-23-2007, 15:14
I noticed this as well. The additional cost is for someone to assemble it. Just buy it al-a-carte and put it together yourself - this kinda of the light blub thing - if you can not change a light bulb you problably should not assemble a harness.

Definately do some looking around as you can find widely varying prices.

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 17:27
I think crpntr133 was joking guys..notice the :D?

If I am thinking right I paid $119 for the SS plate and another $45 for the regular harness. Without seeing the web site it is hard to tell why the difference.

You might PM Scott if you want his answer.

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 22:01
If you buy it a-la-carte and the plate doesn't come with instruction on how to thread the webbing here is a nice link (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions). The only reason that I post this is because mine didn't have instructions as well as others that I have talked to.

marchand
09-23-2007, 22:41
I'm having trouble finding it a-la-carte

WaScubaDude
09-23-2007, 22:59
Might try a-la-mode, very tasty.

ScottZeagle
09-24-2007, 10:02
I can give you MSRP prices:

SS Backplate w/ Standard harness - includes a SS BP, Standard Harness, Shoulder Pads, Single Cylinder Mounting Kit, and 1" Crotch Strap - $270

Now I will break it down to piece by piece:

SS BP - $117
Standard Harness - $36
Single Cylinder Mounting Kit - $50.40
1" Crotch Strap - $10.80
Total = 214.20 and you put it together...

You can add the Deluxe Harness for about $20 more and a 2" Crotch Strap instead of a 1" for an additional $5 or so....

Hope this helps...

Scott

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 13:11
With Scott's post I thought about something that I went through with mine. If you buy a-la-carte then make sure you buy everything that you need. Don't think that by buying the plate that you get the tank straps, I did and questioned Scott. I as wrong.
Also, unless they have changed it, Zeagle's web site is a little bit...mmm misleading I guess. Make sure that the product number and description is what you are looking at. I looked at just the plate and it links to the page with the "kit" that has everything.

Vercingetorix
09-24-2007, 13:18
I bought:

SS plate from HammeHead with STA: $100
Harness from parts (15 ft 2-inch webbing, 6 D-rings, 8 webbing-locks, 1 SS buckle, 1 SS bolt/nut(for crotchstrap), some surgical tubing): about $30
GolemGear 35# wing (includes 2 SS tank straps), STA-less: $320

marchand
09-24-2007, 15:06
Thanks Scott, that helps a lot.

Now I need to save my pennies and give ST a call.

What is msrp for Big Bertha?

ScottZeagle
09-24-2007, 15:30
What is msrp for Big Bertha?

Big Bertha for Backplate, Part # 7724BP - MSRP $585.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 16:36
Just out of curiosity...why do you want a Big Bertha?

marchand
09-24-2007, 17:24
Just out of curiosity...why do you want a Big Bertha?

because of the massive amounts of fish and lobster I have to pull off of the bottom :)

peteg
09-24-2007, 17:43
because of the massive amounts of fish and lobster I have to pull off of the bottom :)

I am a newb, so I'd like to know why this is safer/better than using a lift bag?

ScaredSilly
09-24-2007, 18:27
It is not ... rarely if ever is it the case that want to use your BCD to lift anything. The cases might be an emergency.

Otherwise you at right on use a lift bag.

The Big Bertha has alot of lift even when used with big doubles.

If ScubaToys can not get you what you want, for the a-la-carte option:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba_gear.asp_category_5_sn_BC-Accessories

http://www.divers-discount.com/viewprod.cfm?&DID=1&CATID=4&objectgroup_ID=370

http://www.mikesscuba.com/zeagle/zeagleaccessories.htm

marchand
09-24-2007, 18:43
It is not ... rarely if ever is it the case that want to use your BCD to lift anything.

are you recommending not using a BC to lift myself :smiley5:

ScubaToys Larry
09-24-2007, 18:44
We can get anything Zeagle - and have 99% of their gear in the shop - even if not on the page. As far as pricing - a lot of it has MAP pricing - but if you call us up, we can package together whatever you are looking for without any problem!

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 19:34
are you recommending not using a BC to lift myself :smiley5:

Well I am glad that I asked because this could have been real nasty real quick. Ok so this next is a hypothetical situation. I know it will NEVER happen to you. :D (create what ever excuse you want.)

Your fishin for ( I''ll let you fill in that one) and decide that you have your limit. You start to ascend and all the sudden, out of nowhere, there's a shark (you pick the shark :D). He sees dinner on your stringer, or in your bag, and wants some. So your choice is either ditch the catch or be the catch. (well lets see, should I let the shark eat him or does he ditch? ok so I will save him, from the shark that is.)
Doing what most people would do, you ditch the catch. Opss, wrong move since you just lost 20lbs of catch that was holding you down. So you rocket to the surface and the next thing you know you wake up in the hospital....you hope.

In other words don't use your BC to lift anything but yourself and your gear. Your catch is neither you or your gear. Buy a smaller bladder and use that extra money to buy yourself a lift bag and a couple charters. It will be a lot cheaper and a lot safer. You might think that I am a real a$$ but lets face it, you could get hurt real fast.

Sorry Scott if I just cost you a couple $$. I'll send ya another shirt. Like you can keep the chicks off ya now! :smiley20: What a :smiley30:!

BTW, I ordered my plate from Mikes and while the price was right, if you need help you are screwed.

peteg
09-24-2007, 19:43
Yeah, I was thinking as a less extreme example, what if your goodie bag slipped out of your hand, popped open, broke, etc? Then you could be on a the rocket express to AGE-ville towards the surface

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 20:20
Yeah, I was thinking as a less extreme example, what if your goodie bag slipped out of your hand, popped open, broke, etc? Then you could be on a the rocket express to AGE-ville towards the surface

But that doesn't make for a very good story. :D If your going to go...go big.

marchand
09-24-2007, 22:56
Well I am glad that I asked because this could have been real nasty real quick. Ok so this next is a hypothetical situation. I know it will NEVER happen to you. :D (create what ever excuse you want.)

Your fishin for ( I''ll let you fill in that one) and decide that you have your limit. You start to ascend and all the sudden, out of nowhere, there's a shark (you pick the shark :D). He sees dinner on your stringer, or in your bag, and wants some. So your choice is either ditch the catch or be the catch. (well lets see, should I let the shark eat him or does he ditch? ok so I will save him, from the shark that is.)
Doing what most people would do, you ditch the catch. Opss, wrong move since you just lost 20lbs of catch that was holding you down. So you rocket to the surface and the next thing you know you wake up in the hospital....you hope.

In other words don't use your BC to lift anything but yourself and your gear. Your catch is neither you or your gear. Buy a smaller bladder and use that extra money to buy yourself a lift bag and a couple charters. It will be a lot cheaper and a lot safer. You might think that I am a real a$$ but lets face it, you could get hurt real fast.

Sorry Scott if I just cost you a couple $$. I'll send ya another shirt. Like you can keep the chicks off ya now! :smiley20: What a :smiley30:!

BTW, I ordered my plate from Mikes and while the price was right, if you need help you are screwed.

I would chose option three. Use my bang stick. Am I the only one who still uses these?

Also, I am not about to take a chance and use a lift bag to lift a bag of Lobster/Fish only to never see them again.

Flatliner
09-24-2007, 23:24
Also, I am not about to take a chance and use a lift bag to lift a bag of Lobster/Fish only to never see them again.

Wow, I thought you were kidding... Is your dive insurance paid up?:smiley32:

marchand
09-24-2007, 23:50
Do I spearfish? Yes, I do, but that is not why I am going to buy that bladder. I am getting the bladder because I like knowing that I won't have any problems with being able to surface (I have in the past), and I am getting into technical diving and will probably need it. Even If I end up not needing it I don't see any harm in having a bladder that is a little to big most of the time, as opposed to having a bladder that is a little to small every now and then.

I was kidding about the massive part.

marchand
09-24-2007, 23:54
Wow, I thought you were kidding... Is your dive insurance paid up?:smiley32:

What dive insurance?

marchand
09-25-2007, 00:01
Buy a smaller bladder and use that extra money to buy yourself a lift bag and a couple charters. It will be a lot cheaper...

Big Bertha is $25 more than Little Bertha. I would love to know where you get a lift bag and charters for that little.

ScottZeagle
09-25-2007, 14:43
Dude...you just get a BP and Win.....er.....wait....

Um....

Nevermind....

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 15:13
Dude...you just get a BP and Win.....er.....wait....

Um....

Nevermind....

LOL...good move there Scott.

marchand
09-25-2007, 16:54
what's with people hijacking threads anyway?

ScottZeagle
09-26-2007, 08:52
what's with people hijacking threads anyway?

Welcome to the wonderful world of internet forums...

I would guess that more topics venture off subject than actually stay the course...