PDA

View Full Version : Texas Coast Dive Shops

russp
03-25-2013, 13:12
Anyone recommend a good dive shop that can get me out on some of the wrecks or reefs off the Texas coast? All my experience is lakes, quarries and rivers so I'd like to do my first ocean dives under the guidance of a dive master if possible.

Bigg_Budd
03-25-2013, 15:48
you should seriously consider heading out to the flower gardens. dive shops from all over put those trips together and almost always have a DM leading up the group. pretty hard trip to beat, for the money. great diving, too. worst part about the trip was the inability to shoot those amber jacks!

russp
03-25-2013, 16:19
Wasn't sure if it would be smart to go out as far as the Flower Gardens first time in the ocean, I've heard the currents can be a bit rough for an inexperienced diver. That's why I was thinking about some of the wrecks and artificial reefs that are in closer to the coast but I'm open to hearing opinions.

wheelman
03-27-2013, 10:17
almost always have a DM leading up the group

You made a funny...

Defman
03-27-2013, 15:44
American Diving on South Padre does some trips. Never dove with them but a friend knows them and says they are good people.

South Padre Diving, South Padre Activities, South Padre Snorkel Trips - American Diving (http://www.divesouthpadre.com/)

russp
03-28-2013, 14:37
Thanks Defman, looks like what I'm after. 2 or 3 dives in a day, not too far out and not too deep for my first ocean dive. They recommend nitrox so I guess that's my next card.

Bigg_Budd
03-29-2013, 13:36
You made a funny...

wanted to see if you were listening, broseph... ha!

TGK
03-29-2013, 18:37
I've heard American Diving is good.