PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish- great eating and helping to support your reefs

DocJai
04-13-2013, 13:53
I live and work in one of the outlying islands in the Bahamas.

We have a major problem in the Caribbean with lionfish as an invasive species.

We regularly net and or spear them and they are a great tasting fish (similar to Snapper)

R.E.E.F has produced a lionfish recipe book and we are working our way through them all.

If you haven't tried lionfish, I urge you to give it a go.

As they have rather nasty venomous spines, it's worth learning how to handle and clean them, but once done, you treat em like any other fish

Skred
05-31-2013, 12:23
I'll second that. Lionfish is pretty tasty. For those of you who dive in the Florida Keys, lionfish is on the menu at the Fish House and the Conch House in Key Largo and at Lazy Days in Islamorada. Give it a try on your next trip!

jjjjeremy
07-11-2013, 18:47
I'm all for spearing the buggers. I wish I had the opportunity the last time I was in Aruba a few months ago. Unfortunately they haven't caught on all the way and ALL spearing is still outlawed.

faris
01-21-2014, 23:17
This sounds really good, however my better 15/16ths doesn't eat clams or salmon, and it doesn't sound like it would fit into my low calorie diet. maybe i can con my brother into making it and get a cup from him.

snagel
01-22-2014, 05:15
I was in Bonaire a month ago and was surprised not to see too many Lion Fish. I think I saw maybe 5 the entire week. In contrast, I was in Curacao a couple years ago and Lion Fish were everywhere.

In Bonaire, many of the eateries advertised Lion Fish Burgers, but they were always sold out; so, we didn't get a chance to try them.

Snagel

snipe1c
07-26-2014, 11:01
We were in Curacao 2 years ago and Island Divers put on a Lion Fish hunt once a week to try and clear the reef of these destructive fish (they eat everything). We took 65 fish and afterwards the Island Divers crew cleaned the fish and took them down to a local restaurant were they prepared then for us for dinner. Fried Lion Fish is not one of my favorite, they are outstanding.

BradMM
09-06-2014, 15:56
Had a lionfish burger in Bonaire last month.... YUM!!!!

fire diver
09-07-2014, 13:19
It amazes me that some locations which are so protective of the reef system don't allow spearing of the lions. I understand the old-school stance of no fishing of any type, but they really need to wake up to the reality of what this species is doing to their once-wonderful reef. We can never remove this fish, it's here for good but we CAN actively keep it's numbers manageable in these marine parks that see hundreds of divers a day.

navyhmc
09-07-2014, 20:10
When I was on the Pirates Lady in the Bahamas last year, they explained that they took out the scuba exception for spearing Lionfish because there was too much abuse - spearing grouper and other fish while in scuba which was a no-no unless it was lionfish.

fire diver
09-08-2014, 11:57
When I was on the Pirates Lady in the Bahamas last year, they explained that they took out the scuba exception for spearing Lionfish because there was too much abuse - spearing grouper and other fish while in scuba which was a no-no unless it was lionfish.

Always some idiots to screw up a good things :smiley21:

Did Blackbeards rename a new ship the Pirate's Lady? The original sunk a couple years ago.

DevilDiver
09-08-2014, 13:00
Navy is right about the Bahamas.... Lionfish can still be taken free diving though.

Piriate's Lady sunk last year right about this time of year.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/15059563011_3a315fbc38_n.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/devildiver/15059563011/)
SR130911 22.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/devildiver/15059563011/) by devildiver (https://www.flickr.com/people/devildiver/), on Flickr

fire diver
09-08-2014, 13:33
It's only been a year? Man it seems like it was longer than that. I had a lot of good times and great dives on that boat! I'm sad that I can't even dive on her :smiley19: Seems like they could have put her down on the shelf somewhere.

Edit - just did my checking, she was lost on the 17th of Nov. Going to mark my calendar and have some rum punch in her honor that day!

This is the Lady at dock in 2009 as we boarded, then some of the great fishing whole moving dive sites. Capt Paco is in the middle. Our shop had chartered the boat, and it was a great time! A VERY memorable departure into very rough seas, but a great trip after.

navyhmc
09-09-2014, 07:31
Where did you leave from Fire? That doesn't look like The dock at Nassau.

fire diver
09-09-2014, 10:28
Where did you leave from Fire? That doesn't look like The dock at Nassau.

No it wasn't. I'm pretty certain they were in Freeport at the time.