PDA

View Full Version : what is a good beginners camera

diverdad
09-22-2007, 20:51
I guess the title pretty much says it all. I'm looking at buying an under water camera and would like to know which one would be good for a beginner.

ScubaToys Larry
09-22-2007, 20:58
Well really any will work fine... It's really just a question of how much money to you want to throw at them and how good of a camera do you want. If just getting into UW photo, it's pretty hard to beat the Eco Shot http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeECOshotDigitalCamera at a 6 meg camera in a housing for about $225 with your discounts.

Of course.. if you want a 10 meg $1000 Sea & Sea... we won't say no!! :smiley2:

But we've used the SeaLife cameras as rentals, and they take good shots and are easy to use and seem to hold up real well, even to rental abuse.

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 22:29
Another question to ask is do you want a point and shoot camera or something that you can grow into? I think most people would say point and shoot. Also, there's always more isn't there, do you want something like Larry pointed out or buy a regular land camera with a U/W housing.

diverdad
09-23-2007, 15:36
I'm just a point and shoot kind of guy. If there is to many buttons and options i would just miss the shot:smiley36:. And we have several cameras already so i just need an underwater camera.

jo8243
09-23-2007, 16:01
Any canon camera w/ a canon scuba housing. Much cheaper than buying some brand that does make its own hosings.... cause then you have to buy an Ikeline $$$$$$$$$$ hou$ing.

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 17:20
Any canon camera w/ a canon scuba housing. Much cheaper than buying some brand that does make its own hosings.... cause then you have to buy an Ikeline $$$$$$$$$$ hou$ing.
But some of the (enter brand) housings limit you. If you want to add a strobe then you might be screwed. Where as a Ikelite or others you can add on easily and without having to stay with the same brand. I know a lot of people say that they would never use a strobe but it can make a big difference.

diverdad
09-26-2007, 21:32
Thanks for the info guys i'll be looking pretty hard at what i buy(from scuba toys of course:smiley36:)

ccarter
09-26-2007, 21:41
But some of the (enter brand) housings limit you. If you want to add a strobe then you might be screwed. Where as a Ikelite or others you can add on easily and without having to stay with the same brand. I know a lot of people say that they would never use a strobe but it can make a big difference.
Ikelite, et al usually cost a bundle like he said above which for most people would end up eating up all the money they were previously going to invest in a strobe. I know that's what happened to me when I bought a Canon S3 not realizing Canon wasn't going to make an UW housing for it.. I got stuck having to buy an Ikealite at $650 - $799 depending on who I would have bought it from.. I ended up just selling the S3 and getting an Olympus 770SW which I wasn't scared of taking with me hiking.. mountain biking.. and what not since it's crush/water/shockproof even without a housing although waterproof only to 30 feet until you stick it in the olympus housing which is $200. Olympus housing seem to be a little more add on friendly.. supporting different lenses and usually strobes in some capacity.

somewhereinla
09-26-2007, 23:37
I got a Fantasea / Nikon p5000 (10meg), and I love it. The housing is very well made with 4 latches for about $200. The Nikon was about $300. The quality is very good.

mdwestgrl
09-28-2007, 07:52
Well really any will work fine... It's really just a question of how much money to you want to throw at them and how good of a camera do you want. If just getting into UW photo, it's pretty hard to beat the Eco Shot http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeECOshotDigitalCamera at a 6 meg camera in a housing for about $225 with your discounts.

Of course.. if you want a 10 meg $1000 Sea & Sea... we won't say no!! :smiley2:

But we've used the SeaLife cameras as rentals, and they take good shots and are easy to use and seem to hold up real well, even to rental abuse.

I am thinking about getting one of these for a Christmas present for myself and really liked what I have read about them. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

diverdan
09-28-2007, 08:07
I've got the sea & sea 8000g which has been working out real well. As the others have said there are alot of choices. I took this one out and got some pretty good shots right out the box. Strobes do make a difference in some instances. The key I'm finding is that the camera not as important as just having good diving skills and knowlege of photography. if you have those 2 skills you have won the battle.

Charles R
09-28-2007, 09:11
I too am looking @ a Camera I was looking @ http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DC500Digital upgraded to the pro kit with my ST discount it would be only $500 with my 2 gift cards its only $440.00 this is a deal Should I do it?

ccarter
09-28-2007, 09:20
I would've got a sea life if my only/main pursuit for taking photos was diving but really I only get ~30 - 40 dives a year so I didn't want to buy a more UW focused system. I ended up getting the Olympus 770sw which is supposedly indestructible for the most part-- can be dropped from 5 feet, waterproof to 30 feet with no housing, shatterproof screen, etc. I do a lot of mountain biking and racing and wanted a small/compact camera I could toss in my jersey pocket and not worry about. I got the Olympus housing as well so I can take it down to 130 feet..

Charles R
09-28-2007, 09:22
I have a land base Digital SLR camera I am looking for strictly a point and shoot underwater camera.:smilie40:

divechaplain-sara
09-28-2007, 14:36
There are several 35 mil cameras that are available for less than $50 that take really good pictures for a beginner. If all you want is to be able to have some pictures to show friends what diving is like--this is a great, inexpensive way to get started and then decide how much you want to invest in becoming an underwater photographer. I have a Snap Sights camera that was $25, it came loaded with film and batteries.

giortire
10-24-2007, 14:05
Underwater photography will add a whole new dimension to your diving. Bravo on your new interest.
A GREAT beginners camera is the Sealife Reefmater Mini. It is absolutely simple to use, will shock you with the quality of pictures (check out other strings on this forum), and is very easy on the budget.
Buy one, and you will not be dissappointed

cyclone
10-26-2007, 09:55
Nice thread, I am also in "BUY MODE" for the last few days and trying to find out which I am going to get. I am leaning and looking forward of getting the Sealife Reefmaster 320. If Scubatoys will toss in a little more of a discount I'll probably get the D600. If not I'll sell my two chihuahua's and get one right away.:smiley36:

RoadRacer1978
10-26-2007, 10:00
Here is an idea. The Reefmaster mini has taken some really great shots. Check them out.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/underwater-photo/4046-reefmaster-mini-wide-angle-lens-greatness.html#post59202

Thanks JipThePeople for the review and pics.

Scubakraut
10-26-2007, 13:19
I have my SD900 setup for sale:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/used-stuff-sale/5792-camera-canon-underwater-housing.html (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../used-stuff-sale/5792-camera-canon-underwater-housing.html)