PDA

View Full Version : ReefMaster Mini + Wide Angle Lens = Greatness!

JipThePeople
09-22-2007, 21:32
I took a vacation day and went diving in Athens, Texas to try out my new wide angle lens for my SeaLife ReefMaster Mini. Wow, I was able to get some of the best shots I have ever taken. The vis was 40-50 feet and it made for a great day of diving and underwater photography. You can view the images at http://dallasdivers.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=118

ScubaToys Larry
09-22-2007, 21:37
Nice Shots! Well done! I'll put a link off that camera on our site to your thread so people can see what it does!

Reefmaster Mini (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeMiniDigitial)

NitroWill
09-22-2007, 21:42
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing!

FishFood
09-22-2007, 21:44
Very Nice!

Ive got a question. Can the lens be taken off and put back on underwater fairly easily?

JipThePeople
09-22-2007, 21:52
Very Nice!

Ive got a question. Can the lens be taken off and put back on underwater fairly easily?

Yes it can. In fact, it is required to be inserted underwater but it is a nice, snug fit yet easy to remove. As much money as I have invested in dive gear, I just didn't have $600-$1000 for underwater photography equipment. The bang-for-the-buck on the ReefMaster is unmatched IMO.

JipThePeople
09-22-2007, 21:53
Nice Shots! Well done! I'll put a link off that camera on our site to your thread so people can see what it does!

Thanks Larry - that would be cool!

FishFood
09-22-2007, 21:56
One more question if you dont mind :)

I was considering getting the wide angle lens, and have wondered this...

How big is the lens?

JipThePeople
09-23-2007, 12:44
One more question if you dont mind :)

I was considering getting the wide angle lens, and have wondered this...

How big is the lens?

Touch your index finger to your thumb like the OK sign and its about that big.

wxboy911
09-23-2007, 13:47
Great shots-I am looking at underwater cameras and I like the way the ReefMaster shoots. Thanks.

Cheddarchick
09-23-2007, 16:26
Very nice...

jwdizney
09-23-2007, 20:12
great shots! certainly a strong argument for the reef master! we've been considering one too!.....

caroln
09-25-2007, 22:28
Are you using any other accessories besides the wide angle lens? Your pics are beautifully clear.

JipThePeople
09-26-2007, 21:14
Are you using any other accessories besides the wide angle lens? Your pics are beautifully clear.

Nope, just been practicing my buoyancy and selected a very clear day at Athens (40-50ft!). The wide angle lens sure made a difference though.

Illini_Fan
09-26-2007, 21:18
Very cool shots Chris.

JipThePeople
09-28-2007, 22:58
Very cool shots Chris.

Thanks Tom.

sgarland
10-09-2007, 17:57
I have been thinking of buying the mini - but the shutter delay in the specs reads "less than one second", which pointed me towards the DC 600 which read 0.02 seconds...

just wondering before I drop a couple of hundreds bucks

Thanks

frrdiver
10-22-2007, 20:53
Did you use a strobe??

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 21:12
goodjob..by far best lake shots I have seen. Nice to hear feedback on equipment used also, thanks! I want to get into UW photography, but want to get more diving experience first.

cyclone
10-26-2007, 09:45
Kewl, nice shots. That's a good quality camera for it's price.

RoadRacer1978
10-26-2007, 09:52
Cool, thanks for sharing. I have been wanting to get an underwater camera and didn't want to spend a fortune. I have seen the reefmasters and really wanted one, but didn't know how well they would take pics. With those shots, I'm convinced. Thanks.

Streamline
12-09-2007, 19:30
I'm sold

Doghouse
02-16-2008, 09:22
If those did not sell you on it, here are some more

Santoriato - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603909157448/)
Lost Reef - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603909063456/)
The Church - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603912383761/)
Cancun c 38 - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603908906422/)

terrillja
02-16-2008, 09:34
I have been thinking of buying the mini - but the shutter delay in the specs reads "less than one second", which pointed me towards the DC 600 which read 0.02 seconds...

Thanks
I just got the DC600 elite kit from ST and will be diving with it in key largo in a few weeks. I'll put up a review then along with some pictures.

RoyN
02-16-2008, 10:14
:smiley20::smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

DevilDiver
02-16-2008, 11:38

Thanks

Sealife

The SEALIFE P&S Cameras are great. You should understand the pluses and minuses if looking to purchase....

For someone looking to get into U/W photography without allot of experience or on a budget this is a very good option.

Complete setup with compatible options: W/A Lens, Strobe(s), Fiber Optic Cable.
Affordable: Compared to pieced together systems and the ease of use and start up, the value is very competitive.
Quality: The Mini, DC500, DC600 all can take great photos. Portraits, W/A Portraits, Close Up's more than W/A Scenic and Macro.
Simple, easy to use controls, Semi-Light Weight (Compared to DSLR Systems) and compact for travel.
Well built and easy to maintain.Sounds good, right? Well it is but there are a few things to consider...

This is not a digital SLR system and never will be. With practice and a little technique you can capture some really good shots. For a casual user - Perfect. For someone who wants to go pro or believes they can make a living at this.... Not so much.
Lag time- Not really the camera (Not as fast as a DSLR) but the strobes. Recycle time seems to run 30-50 sec. depending on the user adjustable level.
Macro- If you want pictures of Nudi's and Blennies you will be challenged. Possible but not to the extent you see in a magazine.
User controls are basic.Examples from DC600: Flickr: Photos from devildiver (http://www.flickr.com/photos/devildiver/)

Sealife, Sea & Sea make great products. You can also go the road of the traditional topside digicam and find a housing, strobes, ect... This takes allot more time & research to find compatible equipment depending on your understanding level. Especially when you want to add lenses... If even possible.

Overall it depends what you expect out of the camera. If you want to take great pics to impress friends and have memories, Defiantly worth looking at. If you want professional quality go for the DSLR but make sure you understand the cost.

This is just my opinion and everyone might not agree. I have owned and used - Sea Life DC500 & DC600 (Not The Mini) and other asst. P&S cameras and cases.

Doghouse
02-16-2008, 12:32
Devil diver has it to a "T".

You do get what you pay for with the camera. I do not yet have a strobe, but will be looking for one for this camera. The flash is there but it is good only to 6 feet under water.

Second, there is no viewfinder. You have to look at the lcd to find the shot. Most of the time the contrast is off. I did a lot of aim and guess. (Not that it was bad, but the more you use it the better it gets.)

Lastly, USE LITHIUM batteries. My friend has the same cam, and uses 1 set every dive. I used Lithium, and have made 4 dives on the same set.

Streamline
02-16-2008, 20:48
If those did not sell you on it, here are some more

Santoriato - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603909157448/)
Lost Reef - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603909063456/)
The Church - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603912383761/)
Cancun c 38 - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodturner/sets/72157603908906422/)

Awesome pictures :smiley20: ... My SeaLife just arrived and I just finished 1/2 of Part 1 of my OW cert today (the other half tomorrow - Part 2 in Jamaica :comic11:). What accessories were you using with those pictures (if any) ... wide angle and/or a strobe?

KGNickl
02-16-2008, 21:11
Can't wait to get ReefMaster camera, should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. After seeing the pictures with the wide lens I'm tempted to pick one up for mine. Anyone have any info on battery life and what batteries you use for this camera?

terrillja
02-16-2008, 21:13
Can't wait to get ReefMaster camera, should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. After seeing the pictures with the wide lens I'm tempted to pick one up for mine. Anyone have any info on battery life and what batteries you use for this camera?
AA batteries, life depends on type of batteries as well as quality, the crappy kmart batteries won't last long, good Li ion ones will last longer, also depends on settings.

KGNickl
02-16-2008, 21:34
AA batteries, life depends on type of batteries as well as quality, the crappy kmart batteries won't last long, good Li ion ones will last longer, also depends on settings.
Guess I'll just have to test different batteries. I think I will go with either Energizer e2 lithium batteries or Energizer e2 2500 mah rechargeable. As long as the rechargable last long enough I will use them, otherwise I will just buy the e2 as I need them. I've always had cameras that have rechargeable batteries so I have no need to worry about buying AA.

Doghouse
02-17-2008, 12:00
ONLY use lithium batteries. Standard Alk's will last 1 dive maybe 2 tops. I went the whole time on one set and they still are full.

I did not use any filters, strobe, or extra lense. Mind you I did use sea mode, and added "Fade correcton" with paint shop pro XI. The filter would make a difference, and after a strobe, that will be my next purchase. The thing my wife likes about it the most is that it is one less thing we bring on a trip. We do pack a handful of 1gb cards, and move the stuff to the laptop each use. We use the camera above and below water, it does fine for snapshots and is about as good as any fixed focus camera. (Read NOT an SLR) But it can be raining cats an dogs, and you will not be worried about taking it out for a picture.

Streamline
02-17-2008, 22:21
Thanks Doghouse,
I have just the bare Reefmaster mini ... no add-ons. Its nice to know that you can still get good shots without breaking the bank. I can move about Photoshop quite well too ... so, i'm hoping I can make the most out of the shots I do get.

KGNickl
02-17-2008, 23:11
This thread just made me glad that I just bought this camera the other day! I just wanted something that takes decent pics for memories and showing people what I've done without breaking the bank. Looks like this camera will deliver! :smiley20:

Doghouse
04-16-2008, 05:21
http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-diving-tube-videos/11756-c-56-wreck-cancun-reefmaster-mini-sl-320-a.html

If you have not shot video yet, here is an example of the video mode. I think it works great.

Sparkyvett
04-18-2008, 14:30
I think I'm definatley going to have to get a mini! how many pictures will the 1G card hold?

Streamline
04-18-2008, 15:16
I think I'm definatley going to have to get a mini! how many pictures will the 1G card hold?

More than you will probably take in a day ... 303. This is my favourite that I took with my mini (no strobe ... just a bit of photoshop to enhance the colours)

Sparkyvett
04-21-2008, 09:51
Oh, thats more than I thought. Can you swap out the memory cards easily?

Streamline
04-21-2008, 10:10
Oh, thats more than I thought. Can you swap out the memory cards easily?

Yes ... BUT, the card and the batteries are together, within the internal workings of the camera. If you are out on a dive and you want to swap either you need to make sure that you are completely dry ... if water drips off the tip of your nose into that part of the camera - it will fry it :smiley21: (the camera, not your nose)

jaybob217
07-20-2008, 16:24
does anyone know if the reefmaster 321 will work below 75 ft? For me it's either purchase the 320 or the 321 with wide angle. Because of price. Just looking for easy point and shoot underwater and since I'm fairly new diver, don't really plan on going much below 75ft. But if I do, don't want the camera to be destoyed or something. I just figured they're basically the same but the one rated to 130 is covered by a better warranty or something. Any suggestions?

USF_Diver
07-22-2008, 18:32
I think I might go with this camera, I don't want to worry about a flooding case and I like how you can make the camera grow to fit your needs.

Thanks for the great photos.

scubashley
10-17-2008, 12:43
Hey! I'm selling my Reefmaster mini if you want to buy one. I am selling the camera, wide angle lens, and throwing in a softcase for $285. It's also under "used stuff for sale". I got it as a birthday present in early April. Let me know if you're interested. - Ashley