PDA

View Full Version : It takes a special person.

foo3
09-22-2007, 22:13
A portion of the foo clan lives in a small town in north east texas, never the less we don't have a big fire department. We were eating dinner tonight when my dad's cell phone started to ring and one of his best friends was on the other end, who is on the volunteer fire dept. here, asking for his diving assistance. Unfortunatly an older man drowned in the town lake this afternoon and the water is so murkey that they needed several divers out there to help find him. My dad quickly jumped up and gathered his gear. When he got home we were curious to know what happened, and thankfully they found the guy but dad didn't find him but did have to help get him out.. It really got me thinking it takes an extreamly special person to do search and rescue. I guess I really haven't ever thought about it, I know me personally, I would be horrified if I had to go find someone after they had drowned, helping a buddy in destress is completely different. There are people that are sitting at home and they get a call that they have to go help find someone who drowned... that takes an extreamly special person who would do that. I guess I just wanted to say thank you to all the firefighters, emt's, or any other rescue person out there and today you were definatly recognized by me atleast.
Thank you.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-22-2007, 22:15
Those divers do a tough job alright. They were just looking to train divers in that around my area, I would love to do it but would want to get my skills up first.

FishFood
09-22-2007, 22:20
I agree.

Just getting past the fact that you're searching for a body is tough. But combine that with the 0-viz, and searching by touch only, that's a job! I dont like touching stuff (in a pond) I can see, much less TRYING to touch stuff I CANT see!

BuzzGA
09-22-2007, 22:25
Its one of those jobs that fall into the category of I'm glad there are people in the world to do it. I've often wondered if I have what it takes to be a S&R diver, and despite growing up on the water and diving for years I can admit I just don't know. But I'm thankful that there are people out there to do the job along with all the cops, firefighters, EMT's, and soldiers. Thanks to all of you.

foo3
09-22-2007, 22:28
I definatly agree that those special people never get enough recognition or thanks. so thank you once again

scuba Widow
09-22-2007, 22:44
That is a great story...nice to know that people still care about other people in America these days...I think your Dad is a special person and thanks to him and everyone like him.

cyclone
09-22-2007, 23:38
To the people who cares and continuosly cares and supports unfortunate people. I bow my head...

scubafreak
09-23-2007, 07:42
There are still amazing human beings out there, well done!!!!

diverdad
09-23-2007, 08:01
That is a great story...nice to know that people still care about other people in America these days...I think your Dad is a special person and thanks to him and everyone like him.

I agree whole heartedly. There is not enough recognition given to these unsung heroes.

dludwig
09-23-2007, 09:04
Hats off to your dad & all those who accept the call for help :smiley20:

WV Diver
09-23-2007, 09:19
Nice tribute little foo. It is indeed a noble deed and needs more recognition.

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 06:25
I date a fire fighter and when their swift water/search & recovery station had an opening, he put in a transfer to go there. he's the first person to ask to go there in 6 years. he gets excited when they are called to do a rescue/recovery.

I admire him for what he does & his attitude about his job.

Foo3, I think it is great that you Dad does this on a volunteer basis for no pay & little thanks. I am sure there are families in your area who are grateful for his service.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:57
Couldn't do it myself. I have heard too many stories of guys having nightmares and going to counseling because they had to pull a small child out of a wreck or from the bottom of the pond after drowning. No stinkin way man.
My fins are off to those that are willing to do this.