PDA

View Full Version : peak buoyancy and trim classes

PyrateDiver
08-02-2013, 23:08
i see on padi there is a speacialty class on bouyancy and trim
wonder if anyone in the dallas area offers it
my weight seems dialed in at around 14 lbs with my current set up
but trim bites. last trip they tried putting a weight on the top tank strap. that was horrible

Zeagle Eagle
08-03-2013, 09:56
One of the best classes I ever took.

PyrateDiver
08-03-2013, 12:15
i think it woukd really help us, but cant find it offered in dallas

mcr0112
08-04-2013, 15:19
Lee at Island Divers in Denton will teach it. I took it as part of my open water. & later my brother took it withem as part of our advanced class. I think it should be part of the open water class as it really helped me.

mcr0112
08-04-2013, 15:20
For all the skills it could probably be done in a pool.

Zeagle Eagle
08-04-2013, 15:53
I think you need at least 30 feet to do it properly. You need to add and release air from BC.

PyrateDiver
08-09-2013, 18:22
we are trying to work it out with island. so far that is the only lead we have on it here in dallas
never been a fan of lake diving but after watching a lot of video I must take this class before our next trip
I think a lot of my air consumption issues are related to this
and we were taught very little about it in our open water classes

In an effort to just get better need to learn this and how to deploy a sausage

mcr0112
08-10-2013, 04:21
Really helped me to learn how to use weight location & the inflate button on my BCD. I learned with a horse collar and had to relearn with modern equiptment. It made me float horizontal. I think it's worth it.

Necklinsberg
08-11-2013, 11:18
Strongly suggest that whoever teaches you the specialty has you do several pool sessions followed by several open water dives. In order to do it right, you need lots of practice.

Unfortunately, I have see several instructors who do it too quickly. A real dis-service in my mind

snagel
08-11-2013, 12:30
Just to give you some perspective. Part of my Advanced class was that we were supposed to have a section on peak performance. No discussion of weights or weight location or air control mechanics. We swam through a bus trying not to touch anything on the way through....wham, we completed our peak performance section.

Snagel

PyrateDiver
08-11-2013, 12:46
agree right now it is tough just finding options right now
so far we have a total of 1
I am changing fins too, I have automic splits and I tend to be foot heavy
we tried a weight on my upper tank strap weight on our last trip, that was a horrible experience
I honestly think it is just that I am not aware enough of body positioning, and our fines are real long and hevy

Steveo
08-11-2013, 21:15
Pyrate, sorry to hear about the lack of classes offered. There are some you tube videos and some online discussions that explain buoyancy as related to tech diving. A few of the things are, moving your BC down on your tank, not a lot or you will get the 1st stage in the back of your head. If your BC has trim weight pockets try putting some weight in them, not much though as it can't be dumped easily. Extend your arms out in front of you, like superman flying with your hands together. Bend your knees at about a 90 degree angle and use the frog kick. Lighter fins could help, but the tech divers often use some of the heaviest fins around and still have the best trim. We are all foot heavy, leg muscles and bone sink. While the air in our lungs and other hollow organs in our torso float. I offer these ideas as examples only. You and the Wench should video each other, not posing, just while diving. You will be surprised how your trim can be off and you don't notice it. On the other end of that same spectrum do a few dives with no cameras or other distractions and concentrate on your buoyancy and trim. Lake diving isn't the ocean, but you can smooth out kinks in the lakes and enjoy the ocean more. I am not advocating forgoing training, I'm just throwing some ideas out there. I hope it works out for you.

PyrateDiver
08-12-2013, 16:05
that is one of the reasons I am looking for the class
Our videos make it very apparent we need some work, me more than the wench, but we could both use some skill.

Hopefully we will hear from the folks over there shortly.

DevilDiver
08-12-2013, 16:18
Pyrate,

I believe if you ask around you will find most of the local shops offer this class. It may not be advertised but can be set up with an instructor on an individual basis if nothing else. I am sure Scuba Toys (NAUI) would have this available but if not check with International Scuba (PADI) in Carolton and Garland.

PyrateDiver
08-12-2013, 20:48
someone turned us on to a private trainer 1 day in an 18ft pool one day in a lake

PyrateDiver
08-29-2013, 22:00
we are set for next weekend, afternoon session in a pool saturday, then sunday morning at scubapark in terrel

Lorelei
08-30-2013, 10:14
Get enough others interested in taking Peak Performance Buoyancy - make a class size of 6. That is one of the best and most useful PADI courses I have taken.
My diving skills improved 100% after taking that course. Class did our practical in a flooded rock quarry in central NC.

PyrateDiver
08-30-2013, 16:40
This is all done but the diving, the guy is willing to do private class with just the 3 of us for a very reasonable price. I would have thought it would have been easier to find. If all i read is true, this should be a very popular class

Steveo
09-01-2013, 16:16
So was the class this weekend?

PyrateDiver
09-01-2013, 18:30
next weekend, trying too do accounting on our new business this weekend. bout to give up and fire the grill
tax code iss no way to spend aa holiday

PyrateDiver
09-07-2013, 08:18
it is school day
looking forward to this

Steveo
09-07-2013, 20:36
So how was school today? Better than working all day like I did hopefully.

PyrateDiver
09-08-2013, 15:31
we sort of feel like this one was not good
really did not learn much, and the guy said he was not sure why we took it.
guess our trim and bouyancy was not that bad afterall
first lake dive.... not a fan. visibility like 5 feet

Steveo
09-08-2013, 19:02
Sorry about the disappointing class.

navyhmc
09-14-2013, 11:18
Some folks are able to figure out good buoyancy without a class, that may be your case Pyrate. I know a lot of my buoyancy and trim just came from tweaking it on dives and learning from my mistakes. That or it could be that particular instructor.... Which could be real disappointing.

UnixMarine
09-20-2013, 00:39
Where did you take the class?

Zeagle Eagle
09-20-2013, 22:25
I took mine with the Regional Director of PADI for the South Pacific and Orient as the instructor. There were nothing but instructors in the class. Everyone thought it was the best class they had ever taken. I thought so too. I particullarly liked the descending and swimming through the square PVC contraptions set up on the bottom.

Jim the RD told one of the instructors he shouldn't be wearing so much weight and this guy says he has too. He can't get down with out it. Jim took a weight belt and roped this guys legs together and he hit the sandy bottom at 30 feet like a freight train. Jim motioned for the guy to take off enough weight to get neutral and return to the surface. Best damn buoyancy demo I have ever seen. I got down to between 4lbs and zero depending on what I was lugging around.