PDA

View Full Version : Valve install issue

MacLir
08-10-2013, 14:30
Hello all

I am in the process of assembling a set of doubles and have met with a valve problem. The tanks are brand new xs scuba steel 100s. The valves are new Thermapros. I have lightly christolubed the threads on both valves and tanks. However, for both valves on both tanks, I find that when the valves are screwed in about 3/4 of the way into the tank, they stick and will go no further. In my experience with singles, valves usually hand tighten all the way down with no wrench needed (except for torque at the final tightening), so I have been reluctant to use a wrench to force anything here. Does anyone have any advice on what might be the problem or on next steps to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

Steveo
08-11-2013, 08:55
Try to determine which part is the problem first. Do you have an AL 80 for example? If so drain it and remove the valve and try installing it in the new tank. If it goes in ok its probably the valves. Or try putting one of the new valves in the AL tank. After I determined the faulty component I would get support from where you purchased it. I believe you said they were both new.

comet24
08-12-2013, 22:10
I like Steveo's advice.

Lube the o-rings very lightly. A dab on your finger with do both o-rings.

Where did you buy them. I would call them up for advice.

I had a pair of doubles where the isolation manifold just wouldn't work with the bands. Called the manufacturer and it was a problem with a new mold for the bands. They spaced the tanks just a little too far apart. Sent me new bands and all was good.

XS is a good company and I'm sure they can help.

Rcontrera
08-14-2013, 20:02
The valve should screw into the tank easily. If it is stopping 3/4 the way in, you most likely got sent the metric version. If you use a wrench to install it down to the o-ring, you will most likely damage threads.