PDA

View Full Version : Question on Divemaster wages...

Cichlid
09-23-2007, 11:28
We have a couple PADI Divemaster candidates helping out during our confined water skills. Do they get paid at all? Also, is there a good resource out there to find info on what the average instructor makes off a particular class?

ian
09-23-2007, 12:30
No. The candidates do not get paid. In fact, they are paying rather hansomly for the training. (I even covered my own boat fees as a candidate.)

As far as the earings after getting the DM certifiction, I have no idea. I hope to start soon with my LDS.

Getting that information from other DMs and instructors has been like pulling hen's teeth.

The bottom line seems to be "...if you have to ask, you can't afford it..."

Ian

greyzen
09-23-2007, 13:22
I asked a question similar to this in the 'advanced forum' might have some good info in it :)

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3805&page=1

quasimoto
09-23-2007, 17:37
Yep, pretty much nada. I know several DM's that don't make a thing unless they get tips. I have seen where they get to go out and do a dive or two on the trip with no charge so I guess in one way they are getting something out of it.
Sorry if I reposted anything from the other link..it didn't want to load.

comet24
09-25-2007, 17:46
I get a free hotel room when we go to the quarry and a few bucks for gas and thats it. Really I only get 1/2 or 1/3 of a hotel room. Didn't get anything during DM training. Nothing for the pool time. I do get some deals on equipment. Don't become a DM for the money you do it because you enjoy it.

mm_dm
09-25-2007, 18:57
I get free hotel if we travel, sometimes meals get comped. I get breaks on gear and I get paid for doing refreshers. I usually get a ride to the dive site with the instructor, so I'm not out anything. The shop also comped my updates on first aid & cpr. The instructors covered the travel expenses to have me work with them. I'm good with that.

An old joke says that if you want to make a million dollars in scuba, start off with two million.

datamunk
10-01-2007, 22:35
yep its the truth. you wont make much money as a DM. i worked for free plus tips. if people wanted private tours, it was cost of dive + lunch, maybe $30 bucks.

but candidates dont get paid anything except experience. i paid for all my dives with classes to help out on checkouts, and i think out of like 6 classes i made $25 bucks in tips!

when they work the boat as a guide you make "more" but rule of thumb is tips and tips alone.

namabiru
10-03-2007, 00:02
Yeah, I think knowledge is the big thing. The only reason I'd go toward DM training is for the knowledge you get. So might buy the books and do the knowledge just for shats and giggles.

Another thing to consider is higher insurance costs as a DM. What you *do* get paid might go to your insurance.

Then again, as I tell people who ask me 'should I relocate with (x) salary offer?', life isn't always about the money. Money always has a way of working itself out. You adapt your lifestyle or do what you have to do. You might stay poor, but hey, IMHO, you had a more fulfilling time than the guy who went to work, went home, went to work, went home, etc.

CaribbeanDiver
10-03-2007, 16:37
Yeah, ... life isn't always about the money. Money always has a way of working itself out. You adapt your lifestyle or do what you have to do. You might stay poor, but hey, IMHO, you had a more fulfilling time than the guy who went to work, went home, went to work, went home, etc. that is exactly what I was thinking on my last vacation. I thought, forget money, dont we all really just want to do what makes us happy? And then I thought, I really really like this vacation thing. Doesnt pay much but I really like it. I think I am going to do it for a living.
Then they kicked me off the boat to load more paying customers and reality struck...back to work for me.

ChrisA
10-04-2007, 15:55
We have a couple PADI Divemaster candidates helping out during our confined water skills. Do they get paid at all?

Paid? It's the other way around. They are paying to be there. DM clases typically cost about $1,000 when you add up everything Likely they are paying about five times more than you are paying to be there. Then after they become real DMs, very few of them will ever see a positive cash flow. About the only ones who do earn money are the ones working in resorts