PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a Lion Fish

Zeagle Eagle
09-14-2013, 10:11
I have one of these. It works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox4liT09woI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox4liT09woI)

snagel
09-14-2013, 10:32
Looks pretty simple and safe to use.

Around the US Coastal areas, can anybody go out and hunt lion fish?

When I go on my trips to the "islands" and Caribbean, the Dive Masters typically spear them when we see them, but I believe they don't want everybody out hunting these for fear damaging the reefs and possibly each other.

Snagel

navyhmc
09-14-2013, 11:25
I think a lot of it is folks afraid of the spines. In the Bahamas, they were letting divers spear them under scuba for a while and then after folks decided if they could spear Lion fish with scuba, everything else was fair game so the Bahamians returned to spearfishing with snorkel only again. I'd think that if the divers were hunting lion fish only that all would be encouraged to get those prolific poisonous little bastards.

Cheddarchick
09-28-2013, 17:58
Die Lionfish die!!!!

snagel
09-28-2013, 19:43
I don't know what they are going to do. Every year when I return to the islands there are more and more Lion Fish. Pretty much find an out of the way spot under something and you sure to find a Lion Fish.

Snagel

Charon
09-29-2013, 08:33
There's an effort (I forget where) to train sharks to consider lionfish prey by feeding them dead lionfish. As a trained biologist I would guess that it would be more effective to seriously wound lionfish, giving predator species an easy catch with all the identifying features of a weak, ill, (therefore easy to catch) prey item. Yeah, don't give me the "that's so cruel" crap. They do not belong and absolutely need to be controlled by any means that's effective.

snagel
09-29-2013, 13:15
I've heard they have had some success with Grouper feeding on them and then the Lion Fish Derby's. Every dive I've been with a Dive Master they tend to kill 3-5 each dive.

I'm afraid these measures are simply not good enough. As time goes on, there are more and more of them. My opinion is this is very serious. I can hope that Mother Nature has a way of correcting this, but not sure she even knows given they are not native to the tropical areas.