PDA

View Full Version : Equipment repair classes

PlatypusMan
07-14-2007, 21:56
I have desired for some time now to take classes in regulator and other equipment repair for my own benefit and possibly for an additional income down the road.

Who has run across a place with such courses?

Additionally, have you ever taken such courses, and what was your impression?

texdiveguy
07-14-2007, 22:45
I have desired for some time now to take classes in regulator and other equipment repair for my own benefit and possibly for an additional income down the road.

Who has run across a place with such courses?

Additionally, have you ever taken such courses, and what was your impression?

Your very best bet is to mentor under a good service tech,,,say via a shop. If you are a Dive Pro you can arrange to take specific factory training workshops. Your scuba agency specialty classes will not offer you the in depth service skills I think you are referring to....they are more for normal maintanence of your basic gear.

cummings66
07-15-2007, 08:20
It depends, one of the dive shops I frequent will teach you how to take a regulator apart and fix it. The instructor is a tech and knows what he's doing.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Their theory is that if you're on a trip somewhere and can't find somebody to work on it you'll have the skills to do so. Actually I know of 2 shops that go that far. I think most though are just here's how you rinse it, etc.</DIV>

DirtyWaterIL
07-15-2007, 10:36
the best way to learn how to service your gear is to try to get a part time job at your LDS. They will show you the basics and toutor you on the easy stuff until you get the hang of it, then they will most likely send you off to tradeshows to attend workshops/training courses and sometimes the manufacturers send reps out o the shops who can train you on the spot.

Vercingetorix
07-16-2007, 21:45
Platy,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm sure you've approached Joe with your idea. What was the response? I think several folks here would be interested in learning more about our gear and repair thereof.</DIV>

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:36
I'd love to take the actual factory class on reg repair. From what I understand anybody can do it, but only those working for a dive store get the certificate. That certificate is also what gets you the ability to buy parts without looking high and low for them.