PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Pocket Snorkel Anyone?

scubasavvy
09-23-2007, 21:19
I think with my upcoming $50 gift certificate I'm going to purchase the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel along with some other misc items. Does anyone own one and want to give me a review?

PlatypusMan
09-24-2007, 10:12
I think with my upcoming $50 gift certificate I'm going to purchase the Oceanic Pocket Snorkel along with some other misc items. Does anyone own one and want to give me a review?

I bought one this past week, and had the opportunity to try it out at the Clear Springs bash while setting out underwater tokens with Tom.

While I initially purchased it as a lark, I find that I really like the snorkel. Simple, easy to use, and I like the quick connect aspect and quick release aspect for the mask strap.... makes the transition from training scenarios to recreational scuba and back again a lot easier and quicker.

Who knows? -- it may even help bring peace to the Middle East!! :smiley2:

nathan
09-24-2007, 11:27

I've had mine for about 3 years. I purchased mine with the original gear I was going to use for my Open Water. It's been my snorkle of choice to take with me scuba diving.

Its solid material that you can bend up and fit in your BC pocket without worrying about easily damaging it, and when you need it, you pop it out and put it on your mask, no hassle.

The only negative thing I can think of about the snorkle is obviously if you are getting somethign out of your pocket and velcroing it to your mask there is all the possibilty that you might lose it when you do a giant stride or something because it only velcro eh?

Here is a picture of it (after about 3 yrs of use). Its the black and white one obviously, along with some of my other gear.

The clear/white snorkle to the left of it is a Mares Dry Snorkle, which I use for snorkling.

http://www.nathanandkimberly.com/photos/199051057-S.jpg

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 16:11
Good snorkel, best "pocket snorkel" there is for actually snorkeling with, although I prefer a solid tube for hardcore, dedicated snorkeling. Easy attachment mechanism which is very unobtrusive when not using the snorkel. My only complaint is that because you leave something on your mask, if you lose your mask, you need a new attachment point for your snorkel! Well, second complaint is it's not as small as I would like (compared to other pocket snorkels), but that compromise allows for a MUCH better snorkel compared to those others.

Keep the snorkel off during giant stride and surf entries. Safer in your pocket.

scubasavvy
09-24-2007, 16:39
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'm going to have to snag one. Nathan, that's looking pretty good for being 3 years old...my compliments to you.

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 07:03
My only suggestion is make sure it fits in your pocket! Not sure of the brand, but the pocket snorkel my LDS usualy carries won't fit in my BC pocket..I had to go online and buy an XS-Scuba...

Pocket snorkels are great things though!!!