PDA

View Full Version : Securing Camera

Bill22
09-24-2007, 02:11
I've been trying to figure out how to tie off or attach my camera, because I get stuck holding it in my hand all the time. The wrist strap is on the right side of the housing, but the strobe handle is on the left. (I have a Canon PowerShot A630 with an Ikelite Housing and an Ikelite DS 125 substrobe)

I do a lot of beach entries over rocks and I worry about slipping and damaging the housing. I rather attach it somehow so I have both hands free to catch myself while entering. It also becomes a juggling act when I stop to put on my fins and begin the swim out to where we start the dive. I would like to attach it somehow so I won't have to hold it all the time and it won't drag..... I was thinking a neck strap with a clip so it wouldn't dangle would be great, but it seems anything that I do would have to be some kind of jury rig.... Any suggestions?

ScubaGir1
09-24-2007, 02:50
I have always held it in my left hand against my chest. But I just have a digital camera w/ the underwater housing case. Its not *that* big, but big enough that if it wasn't strapped around my wrist I can see how I could lose it in a wave :(

diversteve
09-24-2007, 02:52
I use a coiled lanyard clipped off to an upper d-ring on my BC for my video housing.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/9/2/cetacea.jpg

It's a Cetacea CRL-11 that I modified with the caribiner. It has a little nylon loop on the right end (hard to see) that might be useful also. You can see it clearer on their website: http://www.cetaceacorp.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=144

They also have other variations with different hooks on each end.

Bill22
09-24-2007, 03:11
I have always held it in my left hand against my chest. But I just have a digital camera w/ the underwater housing case. Its not *that* big, but big enough that if it wasn't strapped around my wrist I can see how I could lose it in a wave :(

I use a coiled lanyard clipped off to an upper d-ring on my BC for my video housing. It's a lot bigger and heavier than your Canon housing. My buddy has an A620 with a Sealife Strobe and has something similar.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/9/2/cetacea.jpg

It's a Cetacea CRL-11 that I modified with the caribiner. It has a little nylon loop on the right end (hard to see) that might be useful also. You can see it clearer on their website: http://www.cetaceacorp.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=144

They also have several other variations depending on what you need on each end. I originally had the model with the black plastic hook, but on one dive I was shooting when it detached from my D-ring.

Looks strong enough, but I'm trying to figure how I would attach it to the camera. I don't know if attaching it to the wrist strap is going hold it. When the weight of the strobe is attached, I would worry about the wrist strap breaking.

Here's my setup:

diversteve
09-24-2007, 03:29
Looks strong enough, but I'm trying to figure how I would attach it to the camera. I don't know if attaching it to the wrist strap is going hold it. When the weight of the strobe is attached, I would worry about the wrist strap breaking.I would be also. What about drilling a hole in the bracket between the housing and the strobe handle and attaching something there you can clip onto.

A friend has a G6 in an Ikelite housing with Inon strobes. I'll ask if he has any ideas. Although as I recall, he just holds his.

Bill22
09-24-2007, 09:24
Looks strong enough, but I'm trying to figure how I would attach it to the camera. I don't know if attaching it to the wrist strap is going hold it. When the weight of the strobe is attached, I would worry about the wrist strap breaking.I would be also. What about drilling a hole in the bracket between the housing and the strobe handle and attaching something there you can clip onto.

A friend has a G6 in an Ikelite housing with Inon strobes. I'll ask if he has any ideas. Although as I recall, he just holds his.

That's a good idea... don't know why I didn't think of it. Probably only thing that I can do to. I could probably drill a hole and then tie wrap a clip or ring to the handle. Then I could use the lanyard that Steve recommended. Thanks :-)

diversteve
09-24-2007, 12:55
A buddy tied about 8" of climbing line - not sure what it's called but it's nylon with a wire core - around his handle bracket and tied the other end to a bolt snap. He bought it all at an outdoor outfitter store.

But it's only for carrying on shore entries, he unclips it while diving.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 15:58
A buddy tied about 8" of climbing line - not sure what it's called but it's nylon with a wire core - around his handle bracket and tied the other end to a bolt snap. He bought it all at an outdoor outfitter store.

But it's only for carrying on shore entries, he unclips it while diving.

I would worry about that wire corroding.

Here's my rig. I used nylon webbing to wrap around the Ikelite handle, and then used a coil lanyard with a bolt snap on one end and a SS split ring on the other to connect the lanyard to the rig. Holds very securely. I generally hold the rig to my chest with my left arms during entries and exits.

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/s80-kit.jpg

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 16:31
Yep, pretty much the same thing that I do. There are several ways to attach it to the housing itself just have to figure out what one works for you. I have seen regular nylon rope tied to the housing with a clip on the other end. The guy clips it to his chest d-ring and hold it with his other hand when entering.

Also those lanyards come with different ends on them. I think that Trident sells them that way at least. That is the brand that I have and it works great.

diversteve
09-24-2007, 18:35
Don't think that's an issue since climbers would also.
And have a lot farther to fall...

I'm guessing it's probably braided stainless...

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 19:03
Don't think that's an issue since climbers would also.
And have a lot farther to fall...

I'm guessing it's probably braided stainless...

Could be... but how often do climbers soak their ropes in salt water?

diversteve
09-24-2007, 20:01
Maybe it's only some sort of nylon core. Which if you think about it makes sense since weight is probably a factor in climbing also...

A modern dynamic climbing rope is made from continuous-drawn nylon yarns.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:08
OK back to the OP's question. I use the same lanyard and clip one end to my d-ring. the other I have formed a loop around one of the arms with paracord. You could do this with just about any rope.
I've seen just a piece of nylon rope with a carabiner on it.

Bill22
09-25-2007, 01:45
Cool!!! Thanks guys you've given me really good input :-)

ccarter
09-25-2007, 09:26
I have a stainless steel clip zip tied to the top left side of my housing and then a locking retractor attached to the bottom right side. I have the retractor clipped to a chest d-ring and when I'm not using the camera I clip the stainless steel clip to a d-ring right below my waist. Seems to work pretty good.. I haven't figured out a better method for "hands-free" storage that I feel safe with for entry/exit as well as being in the water.

namabiru
09-25-2007, 21:27
Just a carabiner works well if you're on a budget, until you get something else.

'Sides, you can call into the 100 yen shop and find one, no problems.