PDA

View Full Version : Regs & gauges in your carry on

picxie
09-24-2007, 02:56
I have a reg bag which they'll fit into but thought I might save on space and weight by just wrapping them up in clothing or something that I'll already be taking. What do other people do?

awap
09-24-2007, 07:24
I gutted a hard-sided brief case which will hold 3 sets of regulators for my wife and I after partial disassembly. I disconnect some hoses so they lay flat. On most flights, it does not count as a carry-on; so I can still load up a backpack with masks and some other gear. If I take a pony reg or a 3rd spare, they go in checked luggage with some clothing for protection.

Zenagirl
09-24-2007, 07:26
We always carry our regs/computers on (and the camera/housing). Not worth having it get lost or damaged in checked luggage, though I do know folks who always check regs (not computer) and they've always been fine

nitrox_scuba_diver
09-24-2007, 07:29
I bought a reg bag made by Armor, I fit 2 sets of regs in there with other stuff that I need and put it under the seat in front of me. Since on my last vacation the airline lost a bag for a day I'm looking to add a rolling backpack so I don't get my diving delayed. Lucky for me this was a non-diving trip!

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 09:52
If you are trying to save on the weight/space I think protecting your computer and guages would be your main concern. I use a heavy duty sports sock (the ones with the cushion padding) for my computer.

wxboy911
09-24-2007, 09:56
I always carry regs in a reg bag that is in my carry on bag...I feel like ther is a double layer of protection and its always with me. I like having the reg bag inside my carry on so its no so obvious there is an expensive scuba reg inside.

Chad
09-24-2007, 11:04
I always carry on my regs in a reg bag and my mask in my other carry on. My other gear can take the abuse of the baggage handlers but I don't want my regs being beat up. Also if my bags are lost I can rent a bp/w and fins and I am back in business.

BSea
09-24-2007, 11:11
Here's my carry on bag (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Armor19EDBLRegBag). Probably the same 1 as Nitrox Scuba Diver. It's big enough to carry 2 full reg sets, log book, travel documents, change of clothes, and maybe a snack or 2. I also carry any sea sickness medication, lights, and computer.

I just wish it had wheels.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 13:05
Here's my carry on bag (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Armor19EDBLRegBag). Probably the same 1 as Nitrox Scuba Diver. It's big enough to carry 2 full reg sets, log book, travel documents, change of clothes, and maybe a snack or 2. I also carry any sea sickness medication, lights, and computer.

I just wish it had wheels.

If you buy the roller bag then the reg bag will "hang" on the handle and sit on top of the other bag..tada. :D I know more money spent.

I've got the same bag and love it. plenty of room for other items and you can still carry another bag or back pack without penalty. Some will argue about this but as far as I know the airlines allow you one carry one PLUS a personal bag..computer, purse, diaper bag, etc. So basically you can have two. Just don't get them too big or the frown upon that.

Damselfish
09-24-2007, 14:26
I put regs in carry on using clothing to protect. It's always seemed a reg bag would allow for less other stuff in the carry on. My console came with small padded cases that slip over it and I slip neoprene socks over the 2nd stages. (The neoprene socks are also backups in case my booties jumped overboard, I would at least have something.)

That said, I've been thinking of trying some kind of reg bag inside the carryon, as what I do now makes for a messy packing job, and even worse repacking when the bag gets searched, which seems to be happening a lot lately.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 15:15
As long as they are protected somehow, they'll be fine. Regs are sturdier than you'd think... frankly they would survive rough baggage handling just fine. Safer to carry them on, however, in case of lost luggage or theft.

picxie
09-25-2007, 04:15
Thanks for the ideas. I really, really need to save on space and weight so I think I'll just wrap them up in something I'm already going to take. I want them in my carry on in case the main bag gets lost ... as well as carrying on my mask (prescription so I'd be sunk without it!), logbook, computer. And normal carry-on stuff.

Divingguy
09-25-2007, 07:34
Regs go in reg bag. Computers go in small "hard case". Reg bag, computers, mask, logbook, dry wetsuit and dop kit all then fit into roller backpack from Aries (from S/T). Brigade b/c, boots and fins go into a small soft carry bag. It all goes on board with me. Clothes and anything else go into a checked bag that I can use to send wet wetsuit home in.

ccarter
09-25-2007, 09:08
I have one of those reg bags that's probably like 10 x 10 or something it fits in my Gregory G Pack (http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=15) perfectly along with 2 ebags (http://ebags.com) packing cubes with some clothes that are about the same size. I can fit my primary reg set and my pony reg set plus a suunto gekko computer in the little case--it takes some creative placement to get it where nothing is overlapping but nothing too difficult. Then I'll wrap my camera housing up in a fleece jacket or something (usually we're leaving airports in the winter and it's cold anyway) and place that on top.

I'm thinking about buying a small pelican housing for the camera housing and trying to figure out how to fit my laptop (13" MacBook) in the bag so it's easily accessible.

loudgonzo
09-25-2007, 15:21
When you travel with your regs, do you disconnect hoses, or leave them assembled? I find my 1st stage bulges the bag the way my hoses are connected, so any travel for me is hoses off.

CompuDude
09-25-2007, 17:18
When you travel with your regs, do you disconnect hoses, or leave them assembled? I find my 1st stage bulges the bag the way my hoses are connected, so any travel for me is hoses off.

Mine lay flat (ScubaPro MK25/S600, has rotating hose turret on first stage), so I leave them on.

tbuckalew
09-25-2007, 17:45
I always placed my reg and console in a padded reg bag and carried it on with me. I have a regular backpack/notebook bag (I always have to be able to connect to the office for support) that also holds my camera (out of housing), computer, and log books. Everything else goes into a regular rolling suitcase to be checked (with my gear bag inside).

My thoughts were always that if my bag was stolen or lost (or the contents stolen), the more expensive items would be with me.

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 20:49

Leave them connected. One less thing to worry about. Nothing can get into a hose or where ever if it is all connected.

skiallday
09-26-2007, 18:55
My problem involves camera equipment. When my wife and I go without our boys, we are limited to the 4 carry-ons. We have a video bag, 35mm bag, housing suitcase, and backpack for the laptop. Just do not have the room for the regs in the carry-ons so I have to check them in the baggage. Just bought 2 new Oceanic Data Plus 2's from Scuba Toys though so I may have to try to make room for just the quick disconnect computers.

ccarter
09-26-2007, 21:04
Leave them assembled.. no bulge in my reg bag really

Diverdude
09-27-2007, 20:36
Funny, I just thought of something. I got the Aeris Atmos 2 consule from ST and it just donned on me that there is a knife attached to it. If you have such a setup I would recommend you stow that in check-in luggage and not in your carryon.

Are there anything else in youre dive equipment that would be considered a bad item for carry-ons?

charlesml3
09-28-2007, 08:09
The buck stops here:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1190.shtm

ccarter
09-28-2007, 08:17
Funny, I just thought of something. I got the Aeris Atmos 2 consule from ST and it just donned on me that there is a knife attached to it. If you have such a setup I would recommend you stow that in check-in luggage and not in your carryon.

Are there anything else in youre dive equipment that would be considered a bad item for carry-ons?
Sad thing is I've read where people forgot and left them in.. and they didn't get hassled/caught by TSA..

chinacat46
09-28-2007, 08:29
I was worried after they said no liquids could be carried on. I brought my reg and console which contains my liquid filled compass. Needless to say they didn't even look at it. I've since carried it on many times since then.

BSea
09-28-2007, 08:39

Are there anything else in youre dive equipment that would be considered a bad item for carry-ons?I'll bet a speargun would get you noticed :)

But seriously, I always put my knife in my checked luggage. Be sure to do that with line cutters too. If you can't take fingernail clippers because of the 1 inch nail file, I'll bet anything with a sharp edge would be taken. Besides, it's bad enough to have the extra security checks that you are more likely to have to go through with scuba gear without having to explain why you have a line cutter or shears. My most detailed inspection came in Miami. You'd think they would see more scuba gear than almost any other airport. After that I started going to Ft. Lauderdale. Much more laid back.

comet24
09-28-2007, 21:28
I have done both but usually carrier them on. That way I don't have to worry and most people have a lot tied up in the regs and computer. I like a backpack for carrier on that way I don't have to worry about lugging it around.

Just remember to take the knife of the hose.

danielh03
09-29-2007, 02:54
I would be way to nervous about checking regs... I have seen how the treat bags!

danielh03
09-29-2007, 02:56
I had a friend get arrested for forgetting his knife was attached to his bc, in his carry on! Lucky for him they noticed his state trooper badge when they searched his wallet and let him go being law enforcement are allowed weapons. [

quote=BSea;63050]

Are there anything else in youre dive equipment that would be considered a bad item for carry-ons?I'll bet a speargun would get you noticed :)

But seriously, I always put my knife in my checked luggage. Be sure to do that with line cutters too. If you can't take fingernail clippers because of the 1 inch nail file, I'll bet anything with a sharp edge would be taken. Besides, it's bad enough to have the extra security checks that you are more likely to have to go through with scuba gear without having to explain why you have a line cutter or shears. My most detailed inspection came in Miami. You'd think they would see more scuba gear than almost any other airport. After that I started going to Ft. Lauderdale. Much more laid back.[/quote]

BuzzF117
09-30-2007, 20:14
Hey guys I was with a group on a short term mission trip and we had all kinds of fun stuff for the TSA to find in our checked bags. Personally in my bag I had all my carpentry hand tools and belt another guy had a tile cutter in his we were all right at the 50lb limit and ALL of us had the little letter in our bags telling us they were opened and inspected. My guess they weren't to happy with us. When we came home we checked Dewalt circular saws and battery opereated drills and all of it was ok to check.

ccarter
09-30-2007, 20:19
Hey guys I was with a group on a short term mission trip and we had all kinds of fun stuff for the TSA to find in our checked bags. Personally in my bag I had all my carpentry hand tools and belt another guy had a tile cutter in his we were all right at the 50lb limit and ALL of us had the little letter in our bags telling us they were opened and inspected. My guess they weren't to happy with us. When we came home we checked Dewalt circular saws and battery opereated drills and all of it was ok to check.
I had a scooter in one bag with clothes and then another checked bag with my BC and other scuba related items.. both got searched.. I figured the scooter would.. prolly looked like a mini-nuke on x-ray or something. :smiley36:

bubba105
10-02-2007, 15:41
I always carry-on regs for the bride and myself. I bought a wheeled backpack from Costco for $40 about 3 years ago. A long telescoping handle was the main selling feature for me. I hate when the bag hits my heel. At least 15 trips later it's still going strong. We bought a camera carry-on bag for a lung crushing $285 but the bride's Nikon D-70 & 6 lenses fit in nice snug, padded spaces. Frees up space and weight in the hard case used for the housing. You should always carry on a swimsuit, pair of shorts & t-shirt for each of you, in case your bags get misplaced. At least the first day will be covered.

Cissycox
10-02-2007, 17:34
I ALWAYS carry mine with me as it is the most valuable piece of equipment I own. I have had bags delayed before and it is just not worth the worry of not knowing if you will ever see them again.
I also take my film and camera with me as a carry-on.

I plan on using a backpack for mags,lipstick,water etc and then a nice padded computer bag for the regs.

I also advise on HARD-sided dive bags for checked baggage. The last time I flew I watch the baggage handler outside the plane actually standing on my dive bag.!!:smiley5:
I was furious but nothing I could do except be thankful it was not a cheap soft-sided bag.:smiley7:

PrichDave
10-03-2007, 11:30
Whatever I can cram into my carry-on bags I will, but not usually my regulator. It's usually wrapped up in clothing and wetsuits in my checked bag(s). My camera equipment and computer go in the carry-on bag.
David

BobArnold8265
10-03-2007, 12:55
I have a double reg bag made by Armor. It's small enough to be carried on and stowed under the seat if needed but large enough to hold 3 regs and computers, 2 bose head phones, CD Player, a very compact Dell laptop and a couple of books and magazines.

scubajane
10-03-2007, 20:46
when I fly I take my reg, mask and computer as carry on. when I get to my destination I can rent a bc fins and wetsuit if I must. on the way home I check them. I'm usually too tired to carry heavy carry on on the way home. I packe layers of clothes and cookies in my carry on. actually my computer stays with me everywhere because it has my time to fly on it. I update my log book on the flight home.

rfreddo
10-03-2007, 21:09
"Are there anything else in youre dive equipment that would be considered a bad item for carry-ons?"

De-fog and ear drops need to go in a plastic bag with your other liquids.

Julie
10-04-2007, 12:08
We've always checked all of our equipment. We pack our regs in the middle of the bags with lots of our stuff surrounding it to protect them. We've never had them damaged, scratched, or hurt in anyway.

The only time it was a problem was on our last trip when our luggage didn't arrive at the same time we did - the bags got to the hotel right before we left for our first dive!

We've been very lucky with our luggage (Knock on wood). After this last trip, I'm sure we'll talk about adding our regs to our carry-ons, but honestly, I like to keep my carry-ons to an absolute minimum!

cutter77
10-07-2007, 21:52
Backpack: Regs, camera, mask, toothbrush, swimsuit, meds, ear mixture, Snickers, hooded sweatshirt, earplugs for travel, extra t-shirt, good book.

Rolled Carry On: Everything else.

Has worked great, even for Cayman's restricted luggage allowances.

beenerachi
10-10-2007, 06:53
I keep my reg in the pouch that ScubaToys sent me. It always stays with me during my trip. The small side pocket is also nice for magazines...in fact, my hard cover Shadow Divers fits in there too.

abcitydiver
10-10-2007, 13:01
My friend dives nitrox and he also carries his reg on, but he gets alot of extra attention at security, I think the mix sets off some sensors. They have never stopped him/taken the reg...but it definately seems to add time to the ordeal.

Jane

Damselfish
10-10-2007, 13:23
I can't imagine why diving Nitrox would make any difference in security.

beenerachi
10-10-2007, 15:04
I can't imagine why diving Nitrox would make any difference in security.

Airport security must not know that nitrox can be safer....:smiley2:..

Security around here (in Australi-asia) usually are more curious at my can of shaving cream....

bellbadboy
10-10-2007, 15:28
I wear a size 15, so sandals, scuba boots and reg's go with me. I can buy almost anything else in a foreign country but those items. And yes it is easier to use fins than my flipper sized feet!

SYOTABUCS
10-10-2007, 15:34
I put our regs and computers in one of our normal carryons and just pack swimsuits and other misc stuff around them. Has worked well so far. Only 2 trips.

BuzzGA
10-11-2007, 20:03
We carry regs, computers etc on...but got a good hint from TSA about getting through security a bit faster. Put the gear in a clear plastic bag, something like a dry cleaning bag, and pull it out before you go through security. The agents can see what it is and you can easily put it back in your bags. The agent said the regs show up as solid objects on x-ray and that just makes them nervous. I've followed their advice the last couple of times I've flown and had no problem