PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes an acceptable "log"?

JugglingMonkeys
09-24-2007, 05:55
I notice that some dive operators require a dive log book.
or else they won't take you on deep dives or whatever...

I'm simply downloading my dives from my dive computer to my desktop computer.
Rather than doing it by hand.

So...
Will it be acceptable to simply print out:
a. a summary list of all dives?
b. a page per dive put together in a 3 ring binder?

also - does each dive HAVE to be signed by someone?

thanks!

scubasavvy
09-24-2007, 08:36
I think it depends on the operator. Like you said some require it, some don't. If the dives came off your dive computer, I think you should be fine. I mean, who is to say that you didn't make up all of the dives in your log book and sign them with a different signature every time? Ideally you'd want your log book pristine with signatures and certification numbers.

Vercingetorix
09-24-2007, 10:46
Your dives don't have to be signed in the log book. Scubasaavy mentions certification numbers; NAUI doesn't have certification numbers.

subsur
09-24-2007, 12:09
since all your dives are on the computer, i'd print them. There is nothing you can do about signatures. a paper log book with date, depth, and other basic dive info + buddy signature (sometimes cert #) is quite an acceptable log. since most people have computers, it's hard to keep a dive book. also, what happens if you buy a used computer with 100s dives? could be tricky.

chinacat46
09-24-2007, 12:15
Another thing that might be acceptable is to show them your dive computer. Most will keep track of at least your last 50 dives or so.

finflippers
09-24-2007, 12:22
Your dives don't have to be signed in the log book. Scubasaavy mentions certification numbers; NAUI doesn't have certification numbers.

NAUI uses your SSN for your number (or at least used to not sure if they have changed that). Not that I would just give that out for someone to have in their log book.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 16:03
Just print out the summary of all dives. If you want to, it's not a bad idea to print the full logs, one per page, simply as a hard copy backup. But in this era of computers, I haven't heard of anyone rejecting computer-based logs. I HAVE heard them rejecting simply showing them your computer as a "log", since computers can be borrowed and it may not be yours. (Yes, the same could apply to the computer print out, but merely having that printout in your possession is at least proof that you are trying to comply with their requirements.)

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 16:25
Naui doesn't do the SS number anymore. They don't have a number at all, which I found kinda odd.

It helps for the first 50 or so to log your dives or at least have some type of list. Personally I don't see where seeing anyones dive log helps. There is always going to be somebody that will fill in the log just to do the dive. The bad part of it is that that is all and fine until something goes wrong and the diver doesn't know what to do.
So far I have had to show my log once in 5 years. Actually I need to say twice because I screwed up and didn't take my AOW card with me on the last charter I did. They allowed me to use my log plus the guy that organized the charter signed.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 17:26
I've never had to show my log book, but having it with me helped me once to prove my chops when diving in Jamaica. They were a little more lenient with the beginner rules once they saw my recent experience.

I've read many accounts of being forced to show it in various other locations. It seems to be a regional issue that you won't encounter unless you live in or travel to one of those regions.

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 19:06
Where have you guys been that actually require you show your log book? I have maybe 25 dives and havent really kept my log booked filled out. If I ever come across anything exciting I might record the dive but other than that I personally don't have much desire to record everything. However if there is a decent chance not having the log book with me might prevent being able to go on a charter boat or something I might start keeping better records. I do have my AOW so maybe they wouldn't be so strict.

CompuDude
09-24-2007, 19:33
Where have you guys been that actually require you show your log book? I have maybe 25 dives and havent really kept my log booked filled out. If I ever come across anything exciting I might record the dive but other than that I personally don't have much desire to record everything. However if there is a decent chance not having the log book with me might prevent being able to go on a charter boat or something I might start keeping better records. I do have my AOW so maybe they wouldn't be so strict.

I've heard of Ops in NJ and FL that require you to show logs, but never been to one, personally. The only time I've been *required* to show my logs was when sending in the paperwork for my DiveMaster application. I believe the same consideration applies to instructors, but I'm not sure, since I'm not really interested in teaching.

dludwig
09-24-2007, 19:41
I knowI should be better at it but I'm terrible about keeping my log book up. I still have my last dive trip on my computer...yet to be logged :smiley9:

chinacat46
09-24-2007, 19:58
I've never had to show it although alot of forms you fill out for liveaboards ask when your last dive was and how many dives you have. Since nobody checks your log I guess you could put down whatever you want. Usually by the time the trip comes though I have more dives and have dived more recently then what I put on the form. They usually want to see your c-card though and on liveaboards they usually want dive insurance(DAN or Dive Assure)

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 20:03
Good thing to know about the dive insurance. I haven't done a live aboard as of yet but it could be one of those..OH CRAP moments.

WV Diver
09-24-2007, 20:08
You know, I have never seen any definition from any of the agencies that describes what a log should consist of. Usually the number of logged dives only comes into play when dealing with progressive dive training, with a few exceptions as those listed in this thread. I suppose it is indirectly outlined by the agencies that sell dive logs of their own design. But even this doesn't define depth, time, air used etc.

I don't even think that it is defined for the minimum number of dives required to move through the agency ranks. Maybe an instructor here knows what the criteria are, if they even exist.

My instructor for my DM course looked at my log book with a blinking glance, saw the number of dives I had and all in one motion gave it back to me.

As often as this topic comes up you would think the agencies would have defined this in some way even if it were only for candidate acceptance.

CrzyJay456
09-24-2007, 20:10

25 dives and AOW?? im no one to be telling you what to do, but isnt that a little rushed?

Damselfish
09-24-2007, 20:19
25 dives and AOW?? im no one to be telling you what to do, but isnt that a little rushed?
not really. People have different opinions on how many dives is best to get the most out of it, but most AOW classes are not all that advanced, more of a continuation of OW.

CrzyJay456
09-24-2007, 20:23
well, wouldn't one be better served having actually taking time between classes, doing i'd say at least 100 dives before "continuing" something that you barely started? thats like skipping chapters in a book to me.

diverdad
09-24-2007, 20:24
My last blue water dive they didn't even ask how many dives i had. But i still take my log book on every dive trip(just in case).

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 20:27

I don't think so, at least not in the case of the advanced open water. I do really well underwater, not to mention my dive buddy is a DM :smiley20:. I think everyone is different when it comes to learning capacity and diving is something that has come pretty natural to me. Really though, all AOW is, is just a little more in-depth training to what you already learned in OW. Learning better nav. skills, basic rescue, night dive, etc makes any diver safer regardless of dives logged. Believe me when I say I don't do or attempt anything underwater Im not 100% comfortable with. Anyway, I think AOW is a good course to take soon after you start diving...where I would start to question is if someone was attempting DM, Instructor, Tech, Cave, etc without the necessary experience.

chinacat46
09-24-2007, 20:31
Having an AOW doesn't make you an Advanced diver it makes you an Advanced "Open Water" diver there is a big difference called "experience" to being an Advanced diver.

Bring the Payne
09-24-2007, 20:35
Having an AOW doesn't make you an Advanced diver it makes you an Advanced "Open Water" diver there is a big difference called "experience" to being an Advanced diver.

I couldn't agree more. I realize I'm new to diving and lack a lot of experience. AOW to me is more of an extended OW course than it is a course for "advanced" divers.

cummings66
09-24-2007, 21:39
I would venture a guess and say your next advanced class will be the Rescue Diver Class. AOW is hit or miss on what it's teaching, but Rescue is pretty involved and definitely more advanced.

ccarter
09-25-2007, 09:44
I knowI should be better at it but I'm terrible about keeping my log book up. I still have my last dive trip on my computer...yet to be logged :smiley9:
I got one of those wet notes log books so I could keep it in my bag and not worry if the paper got wet or whatever.. found I was much more likely to log dives that way.

RoadRacer1978
10-05-2007, 22:49
Here are my reasons why checking a Logbook is probably more important than looking at all the pretty shiny cards one has.

This is my diving history: I was certified to dive in 1994 by ISEA as OW. If asked to present my card one might think I have been diving for 13 years and be quite experienced. Heck, I can even talk the talk. Now 13 years later I have 16 logged dives, and counting :) . And 12 of those dives have been in the last 2 months. I got certified and for who knows why, never went diving after that. When I decided to get back in I started taking classes because I knew that I was not experienced enough to find a buddy and just go diving. However as some shmoe off the street if I went on a trip somewhere and they wanted to see my c-card, I had it, but that did not make me a safe diver. Now with more dives, and recent dives under my belt I do feel more comfortable under the water and plan on logging some serious bottom time to make those skills sharp :)

comet24
10-05-2007, 23:40
I had to show mine in Key Largo to dive the Daune and Spiegel Grove. It was either logs with dive deeper then 100' in the last year or 6 month(can't remember) or AOW. I was only OW at the time although I been diving for over ten years with many dives.