PDA

View Full Version : Forgot my dustcap

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 09:01
Total idiot move last night....

I rinsed my reg set up with out the dust cap.

HELP!!

Should I take it in to be serviced?

Just let it dry?

I leave on the 10/04/07 (10 days) for a week of diving in Bonaire so I need to know what to do soon.

Thanks,

ScubaToys Larry
09-24-2007, 09:32
Throw it away and buy a new one! :smiley2:

No... here's what you do - if that ever happens to you, right away (or ASAP) take off the hose for the gauge (or transmitter) then hook it up to a tank and let air blow through it for a minute or so.

You are taking off the HP side as otherwise, you might push water into the HP hose and up to the gauge which could cause the gauge to corrode.

After you ran air a minute or two there - put the gauge back on, then turn on the air and hit the second stage purges to evacuate the IP area of the reg as well.

If it was put in salt water without the dust cap, try to get some fresh water in there, and do the above steps.

Water getting into the HP side can cause some problems - it's raw brass in there and that can corrode if exposed to water - especially salt water. Normally it's as in your case - it was in fresh, which won't hurt anything if you get it out of there quick - and probably won't even if you leave it for a bit. But getting it out is good.

If it sat in there overnight - (sorry I didn't see the post last night - watching the Cowboys!) you might want to have us just crack it open and make sure everything looks fine. So if you want to feel real good - swing it on by... but for anyone who does this on a trip - or in the future - follow the instructions above.

The good news is - you have a nice new bag for the trip thanks to the Party at CSSP!

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 09:43
Throw it away and buy a new one! :smiley2:

No... here's what you do - if that ever happens to you, right away (or ASAP) take off the hose for the gauge (or transmitter) then hook it up to a tank and let air blow through it for a minute or so.

You are taking off the HP side as otherwise, you might push water into the HP hose and up to the gauge which could cause the gauge to corrode.

After you ran air a minute or two there - put the gauge back on, then turn on the air and hit the second stage purges to evacuate the IP area of the reg as well.

If it was put in salt water without the dust cap, try to get some fresh water in there, and do the above steps.

Water getting into the HP side can cause some problems - it's raw brass in there and that can corrode if exposed to water - especially salt water. Normally it's as in your case - it was in fresh, which won't hurt anything if you get it out of there quick - and probably won't even if you leave it for a bit. But getting it out is good.

If it sat in there overnight - (sorry I didn't see the post last night - watching the Cowboys!) you might want to have us just crack it open and make sure everything looks fine. So if you want to feel real good - swing it on by... but for anyone who does this on a trip - or in the future - follow the instructions above.

The good news is - you have a nice new bag for the trip thanks to the Party at CSSP!

Since I do not own a tank to remove the water from the reg I will bring this by tonight.

Thanks for the info. I almost cried this morning when I saw what I had done :smiley19: I called myself all sorts of names.

This would be the bag that Larry was referring to that I won yesterday.

Thanks Joe & Larry (and all of the other staff)!

unclepooty
09-24-2007, 09:46
Is it that you don't own a tank, or is it that yours is still strapped to the set up bench at CSSP? :smiley2:

BSea
09-24-2007, 09:54
Thanks for the info. I almost cried this morning when I saw what I had done :smiley19: I called myself all sorts of names.Don't beat yourself up. The only people who haven't done the same thing, or something similar are people who don't dive.

I have a friend who works on his own gear, and has several vintage regs. He accidently put the inflator hose on a HP port (older regs had the same size port opening for both HP & LP back in the day). Anyway, he & his wife were working on their hobbies in the same room. He then connected this reg to a tank & turned it on. The LP hose of course blew, sounding like a stick of dynamite. His wife has recovered nicely:smiley5:.

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 09:55
Is it that you don't own a tank, or is it that yours is still strapped to the set up bench at CSSP? :smiley2:

I was waiting for that!!!!:smiley26: That was a CSSP rental tank thank.you.very.much. I highly doubt I will live down that one :smilie39:

I don't own or have access to tank.

awap
09-24-2007, 10:07
One exception to Larry's suggestion is, with an unbalanced piston 1st, it is best to also remove the LP hoses and port plugs before you blow it out. This is to prevent any water being pushed into the cap (piston chamber) where it will have no route out. Otherwise, the cap should be removed and that chamber dried to prevent any deposits or corrosion on the piston seating surface. They are pretty reliable, simple designs that would probably go OK till the next service; but no sense in inviting possible problems.

unclepooty
09-24-2007, 10:11
JK! thanks for being a good sport

mwhities
09-24-2007, 10:12
Never rinse your regs in water with only the dust cap. The dust cap is ONLY a dust cap.

I always attach my first stage to a tank and submerge them into the water. I see you don't have a tank handy at home, take your reg and tank you rented to a fresh water hose and spray the heck out of it, maybe a little rub too.

Michael

Vercingetorix
09-24-2007, 12:40
I think I made an oopsie.

My SPG detaches from the HP hose. I rinse the reg set-up and SPG separately. If I just read Larry's post correctly, I should not allow water to enter the SPG via the hose attachment nor permit water to enter th HP hose towards the 1st stage. Granted, I've not soaked either of these; rather, I've rinsed them in the shower. It appears my annual reg inspection may come a couple months earlier (due in Jan).

awap
09-24-2007, 19:17
Never rinse your regs in water with only the dust cap. The dust cap is ONLY a dust cap.

I always attach my first stage to a tank and submerge them into the water. I see you don't have a tank handy at home, take your reg and tank you rented to a fresh water hose and spray the heck out of it, maybe a little rub too.

Michael

Nonsense. Most "HP protectors" (Scubapro nomenclature) provide a perfectly adequate seal which will protect your regulator from water incursion during soaking when a tank is not available. However, soaking under pressure insures that water will not go where it does not belong and allows you to operate the reg UW cauaing more flow thru some internal spaces. Straying will not get SW out of exposed threaded connections. Short of disassembly, only a long soak will do thye job.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 20:30

My SPG detaches from the HP hose. I rinse the reg set-up and SPG separately. If I just read Larry's post correctly, I should not allow water to enter the SPG via the hose attachment nor permit water to enter th HP hose towards the 1st stage. Granted, I've not soaked either of these; rather, I've rinsed them in the shower. It appears my annual reg inspection may come a couple months earlier (due in Jan).

Also if I read this right your SPG is on a quick connect. They are designed to keep water out.

As for the OP's problem. I think you might want to send me that reg, it is for sure trashed. :D

WV Diver
09-24-2007, 20:40
Total idiot move last night....

I rinsed my reg set up with out the dust cap.

HELP!!

Should I take it in to be serviced?

Just let it dry?

I leave on the 10/04/07 (10 days) for a week of diving in Bonaire so I need to know what to do soon.

Thanks,

Pay no attention to Larry in this instance. You have trashed that reg beyond repair. He only wants to get money out of you for the service.

Send it to me and I will properly dispose of it. Do not attempt this yourself there are regulations concerning the disposal of these highy senstive items.

CrzyJay456
09-24-2007, 20:48
you learn something new everyday!
if we didn't make mistakes,we'd never learn anything.
thanks for the info.

awap
09-24-2007, 21:15

Also if I read this right your SPG is on a quick connect. They are designed to keep water out.

As for the OP's problem. I think you might want to send me that reg, it is for sure trashed. :D

The scubapro HP QD keeps water out of the 1st stage side but not out of the gauge side. It is only a small hole but avoid getting water in the hose end.

Water that get into the HP hose is pushed into the gauge when pressurized and there is no way to get it out. I would not expect a problem with a little FW. But SW will cause corrosion in the metal tubing that senses the pressure. Eventually it may cause erroneous readings.

comet24
09-25-2007, 02:09
Great post. Learned something new here.

dallasdivergirl
09-25-2007, 13:38
At lunch yesterday picked up the reg from the house and drove like mad to get to ST before they closed. I am awaiting the phone call of what damage I did. Joe was there and I was talking to him hoping that what I did was not that bad....it was :(

I guess I will be hoping santa will show up with a tank for Christmas this year, so if I do this again I can take care of it myself. I was kind of hoping I could bust out the hair dryer and make it all better but that does not seem to be the case.

And many thanks to all of you who offered to take the "junk" reg set up off of my hands. I do appreciate your concern for my well-being.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't post on the ST forum that you forgot your dust cap and then rinsed and then show up at ST. The staff know what you did, you will not live it down. :)

WV Diver
09-25-2007, 13:50
At lunch yesterday picked up the reg from the house and drove like mad to get to ST before they closed. I am awaiting the phone call of what damage I did. Joe was there and I was talking to him hoping that what I did was not that bad....it was :(

I guess I will be hoping santa will show up with a tank for Christmas this year, so if I do this again I can take care of it myself. I was kind of hoping I could bust out the hair dryer and make it all better but that does not seem to be the case.

And many thanks to all of you who offered to take the "junk" reg set up off of my hands. I do appreciate your concern for my well-being.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't post on the ST forum that you forgot your dust cap and then rinsed and then show up at ST. The staff know what you did, you will not live it down. :)Too bad. I know we were all hoping for good news here. I'll put in a good word to Santa for you.