PDA

View Full Version : Bioluminesence in sharks and other critters

navyhmc
03-29-2014, 06:49
I came across this Nat. Geo. Video on YouTube. Very cool and interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U9BIZAzObNI

Researchers studying fluorescing corals have discovered sharks that glow in the dark - and fish and stingrays too. They found 180 species that fluoresced, absorbing blue light and reemitting it in a variety of colours - such as the neon green of the catshark.

The divers dived at night and used blue-light torches with yellow filters on their masks to see he phenomenon.

"We were completely surprised to find how widespread [this ability] was," said David Gruber, a marine molecular biologist at City University of New York. It's not clear yet why fish do this.

The findings were published in the journal PLUS ONE.

PHOTOGRAPH BY DAVID GRUBER AND VINCENT PIERIBONE

Asting
03-29-2014, 10:49
Very cool. Reminds me a bit of the bioluminescent bay in Vieques.

navyhmc
03-29-2014, 13:09
I'm going there in June!

Zeagle Eagle
03-29-2014, 13:26
Holy tamales. Who new? Now we are talking about producing light not just reflecting right?

Lulubelle
03-29-2014, 13:56
Just finished an online course out of Duke on marine Megafauna and conservation. Bioluminescence is fascinating and yes Zeagle, it is created energy!

Zeagle Eagle
03-29-2014, 14:27
Some of my fondest memories of diving are paddling back to the boat or shore on a night dive with the bio luminescent critters showing in my wake.

Asting
03-29-2014, 18:06
I'm going there in June!
Nice! I've only snorkeled it, so let me know what you think.
The island itself is sort of crazy. The locals hate mainlanders, and a lot of them detest tourists (for the most part). They chased the us navy off the island, and now their infrastructure is aging and being pushed to its limit (as the navy maintained it). Most areas are nice, but you don't get the best vibe everywhere. It's sorta sad, because tourism is all they have left but it's not a super tourist friendly place (for instance there are ferries they don't let tourists use, only islanders).

Having said all that, there are some great restaurants and most people are polite.