PDA

View Full Version : Newbie mask question

RevDoc
09-24-2007, 09:30
Hello!

My wife and I just finished our certification. It is obvious how important the mask is. However, where do I even start? There are so many options! I know, "Buy the best I can afford." But never having had a mask, I hate to drop a whole bunch into a mask I will not like. Does anyone have recommendations for a solid, affordable, entry level mask?

Thanks!
Philip

BSea
09-24-2007, 09:34
Hello!

My wife and I just finished our certification. It is obvious how important the mask is. However, where do I even start? There are so many options! I know, "Buy the best I can afford." But never having had a mask, I hate to drop a whole bunch into a mask I will not like. Does anyone have recommendations for a solid, affordable, entry level mask?

Thanks!
Philip

I really like the Mares X Vision (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=XVision). But it really depends on how it fits you. I got mine from ST. They told me if it didn't fit, just send it back, no questions asked.

peteg
09-24-2007, 09:42
Congrats on your recent certification. I got certified a few months ago, and after trying several masks, I came to a few conclusions.

*A $40 mask will do just fine

*There's a lot of marketing hype out there and the expensive masks don't do much to solve problems you didn't even know you had until you read the item description.

*It's kinda easy to lose a mask, scratch it, bang it up, etc, so again spending $$$ doesn't make a lot of sense

*Get a mask that fits.

*Look for something with low volume, because that's easier to clear

*I like a black skirt myself; I feel like it improves the contrast, and keep me from seeing things our of the corner of my eye.

*I like neoprene mask band. Easy to doff and don, no more adjusting straps everytime you do so, and easy on the head and hair. Here's a link for the Scuba Toys version (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RP22)

wxboy911
09-24-2007, 10:02
The best thing to do is to go try a few if that is possible...fit it key. I use a Cressi Big Eye...

http://www.cressi.it/easyStore/SchedeVedi.asp?ProdottiID=17

The lenses are tilted in at the bottom so I can see the front of my BC just by looking down. That is a big help for a new diver that has not memorized where everything is yet. Its also got low volume which is good with the boyancy/ease of clearing. I use a clear skirt because it seems brighter-not sure if that makes much difference but I like it. Good luck.

subsur
09-24-2007, 12:14
fit fit fit!!! can't overemphasize it. low volume is a plus. 2 lenses or 1 - does not matter much. black skirt is better in high vis waters. i use TUSA PLATINA for ~$50 and Atomic Frameless $70 - both are good.
if you plan to dive a lot, you need 2 masks, 'cos you never know.

Vercingetorix
09-24-2007, 12:44
If you plan on photographing eventually, go for a black mask to exclude extraneous light. Did anyone explain to you how to ensure a fit? If not, place mask on face without strap; Inhale through nose and tilt head forward. If the mask stays on, it fits.

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 12:50
I use a Cressi Matrix and love it. I also have a Ocean Master 4 pane window mask with purge. Personally the purge is not worth the extra $$.
The MOST important thing is that the mask fits. If it doesn't fit it isn't worth a cent.

sudnit5
09-24-2007, 13:52
If you can go and try them on that would be best. I had to go through about 10 until I found a mask that fit right.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 21:45
A mask is something that you should really buy local. Even if you have to drive an hour to get there it is worth it to not have to return the mask.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-24-2007, 21:48
I have a metro xs scuba mask its cheap and cheerful and fits me well.

Buoyant1
09-26-2007, 07:00
Wow a lot of people wanting mask fit...jsut keep trying the on, take about $100. or so, and get the one that fits best! You WON'T be sorry!

Clanggedin
09-27-2007, 12:34
I'm a new diver and I picked up the Atomic Frameless. There were lots of cheaper options, but the other masks didn't forma a seal on my face like the Frameless did.

At least try on the masks at your local dive shop, then buy them from Scubatoys. If you want an Atomic then you should purchase them form the local shop.