PDA

View Full Version : anyone using this reg and octo set

coralcrazed
09-24-2007, 14:35
anyone using this reg and octo set by oceanic? I need the good bad and the ugly and all thats in between. Me hungry for information. :smiley2:thanks

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicGT3
OR
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicDeltaIVReg
and this octo
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Alpha8Octopus

TAH 73
09-24-2007, 15:00
I just ordered the Delta IV reg with the Swivel 180 Octo, and from chatting with Joe, the Delta IV is what he uses as well. it was also the Scubalab under $500 testers choice reg as well.
I can update more as soon as mine arrives as well.

ravenfish
09-27-2007, 09:55
I have tried both regs (gt3 dvt and delta4) and the octo (alpha8) in the pool. Both regs are good breathers and have "dial up and down" adjustment. The Delta4 has a swivel. The Alpha8 is a great fullsize octo for less than $100 sometimes free. All three second stages are light weight. The biggest difference for me was the mouthpiece. The GT3 bitedown was very small but that can be easily changed. The Alpha8 mouthpiece was too wide. The Delta4 was just right.
If you want bells and whistles the Delta4 is for you, the swivel and the compact first stage, FDX10 are pluses. But you pay for it.
Remember the GT3 can be found with a CDX5 DVT, $380 and NON DVT, $200. The NON DVT is now discontinued.

ScubaJ
09-27-2007, 10:17
My wife and I just picked up a couple of the FDX-10/Delta4 sets.
So far we love them!
The Delta 4 reg is very light and the swivel makes it really comfortable in the mouth without pulling the reg sideways. Because it's light and doesn't pull, I find that I don't get jaw fatigue. When we were renting equipment, my wife had to purchase a smaller mouthpiece to use on the rental gear as they were usually to big for her. Both of us like the mouthpiece that comes on the Delta4.
The adjustment knob works perfectly and helps set the resistance to your comfort level. It's also got a little switch on the top that helps reduce free flow at the surface (which works as well).
I wasn't really sure how usefull the DVT would be, but I recently saw a post where someone needed to get their reg serviced cause they left the dust cap off. Sooooo, I guess it can come in handy.

One thing I should mention. I did a dive last week where I got down below 500psi before the end of my safety stop. Just below 500psi, I had to draw to inhale a bit. Nothing scary or dangerous. A quick twist of the valve knob and it was back to easy breathing.
The package from ST came with a Mares Octo, but I had that changed to the Oceanic slimline2 so that I'd have all Oceanic regs. Other than taking a few breaths to check it at the surface before a dive, I haven't had to breathe off it, so can't review that part. I can say that I haven't experienced freeflows with it (surface or underwater). It's very slim and tucks in very nicely.
To sum it up; I'm 100% pleased with this reg setup & would recomend it to anyone.

tslane888
09-27-2007, 17:59
I've used the FDX-10/Delta4/Alpha8 setup for about a year now, in warm and cold conditions and it has worked great. In fact the Alpha8 octo was used extensively in my rescue course last weekend. I really like the adjustment on the Delta4 for fine-tuning at depth and the swivel makes it very comfortable. :smiley20:

Tableleg
09-28-2007, 20:45
I dive the non DVT GT3 with the Alpha 8 octo and love it! I don't have a lot of experience with different regs (the set I got my OW cert, and a few rentals) but my GT3 has blown all of them out of the water. I can't think of anything I'd change or something I'm lacking with this regulator.

When I first got this set, I tried out the Alpha 8 to see what it was like. I could easily breath through it, but there was a distinct difference in ease of breathing between it and the GT3. It'll get the job done be sure, but I'm glad it's not my primary.

As far as DVT vs non DVT; The way I see it: It's a $100 moving part. Murphy tells us that anything with more moving parts is less reliable than anything with less moving parts. Why would I spend more money on a feature that's really not an issue with me anyways? I'm completely anal over my reg, so I don't really need a feature like that.

You won't be disappointed with the GT3/Alpha 8 setup.:smiley20:

jwdizney
09-28-2007, 21:47
I've used the FDX-10/Delta4/Alpha8 setup for about a year now, in warm and cold conditions and it has worked great. In fact the Alpha8 octo was used extensively in my rescue course last weekend. I really like the adjustment on the Delta4 for fine-tuning at depth and the swivel makes it very comfortable. :smiley20:
just got this same rig this week! i've had it in the pool, diving it tomorrow at the lake! so far, very impressive reg, the delta 4 is an easy breather with a swivel head, very comfortable and adjustable.. i'm definitely liking it so far!:smiley20:

CrzyJay456
09-30-2007, 01:47
that oceanic stuff is backed by a great company.

the gt3/cdx5 1st/2nd is a great reg from the people i talked to them about (a couple from hawaii) 150 dives on it, and loves it, so it must be good i guess.
the fdx10 is a step up, so it's better than the previous... noticeble diff.? i doubt it, but its different.
and the octo is an octo. so you know, it's an octo. it's detuned and will breath a little worst then the primaries, so that way it wont freeflow.