PDA

View Full Version : I'm on cloud nine

fire diver
09-24-2007, 15:15
During my family cruise in the Caribbean last week, one of my dive spots was in Grand Cayman. First dive of the trip. First dive in GC. Gear ready. Camera ready. We make a wall dive on Blue Pinnacle. BEAUTIFUL reef and wall. Lots of fish. Over 100 foot of vis. Even saw a turtle thanks to the divemaster.
Snap, snap, snap went the camera. I was stoked at what would be some great pics. Back on the boat, I gear down, then make my way forward to the cuddy where the cameras have been laid. I carefully dry it completely so I don't get anywater in or loose sand in the seals. I open the camera.

:smiley35: :fit:

There was my film staring back at me. I was in shock. I was sickened. I was furious with myself for such a stupid mistake as not re-winding the film. I slammed the case shut and rewound the film. I took it out almost wanted to cry. I almost tossed it in the trash right there. But I decided to have it processed in case a few at the front of the roll survived exposure.

I just picked up the film (that roll plus others). 90% of the picks made! The turtle was among the last, so some were lost. Some were visible but the colors were washed red. The fact that I almost threw it away, but it came out ok has me on cloud nine right now. I am sooo freekin stoked.

I will upload my dive pics to the gallery later today.

FD

WV Diver
09-24-2007, 15:20
I've done this with similar success. Can't wait to see your pics. The wife and I are taking a cruise in Feb to Coz and cayman islands. Can't wait.

ScubaToys Larry
09-24-2007, 15:38
That's one of the main reasons I use digital. I never forget to rewind the SD card. And when returning DVD's to blockbuster... I don't rewind those either!

Don't feel bad... Could be worse... I've had a lot of film shots where the film didn't grab - so I shot up 36 pictures of nothing - open it up and the film hasn't moved! At least you got most of them!

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 15:56
I have been there and done that. Worst feeling ever when you have taken some great photos.

I have had my camera so cold it woudl not take a full frame & lost half of all of my pics. I now carry a heating pad for the camera in the winter.

my dad is a professional photographer and I just swipe one of his cast off cameras when ever I need a new one but they have been pretty well used up by the time they land in my hands. I haven't taken any 35 mm photos underwater just with my little digital.

NitroWill
09-24-2007, 16:02
This is exactly why I stopped using my 35mm..

Multiple film issues by not only me but by the developing center have got me fed up with this and I refuse to shoot til I can go digital..

Look forward to seeing the pics :)

jwdizney
09-24-2007, 16:37
That sucks FireDiver! sounds like, in spite of the camera issues, you had a great trip! welcome home!..can't wait to see pics, hear stories!.. by the way, while you were away, I finished my OW!! bonafide diver now!:smiley20:

crpntr133
09-24-2007, 17:34
Never heard of salvaging a partial roll! I would have been the one to have thrown the entire roll in the trash. Interesting to know just in case I do the same thing with my land camera.

fire diver
09-24-2007, 18:04
Ok, most of the reef and cenote pics are up now in the gallery.
I was disapointed in my cenote pics. The distances were too far for my strobe to light sufficiently in most of them. The most stunning shots were simply too dark to develop. They would have required about a 1600 ISO to have any shot of coming out. Shame too. The water has the most beautiful turquoise color. And looking up at an opening in the distance is really something.

Maybe by my next trip I'll have made the financial leap into a digital SLR with housing and strobes.

FD

fire diver
09-24-2007, 18:06
Never heard of salvaging a partial roll! I would have been the one to have thrown the entire roll in the trash. Interesting to know just in case I do the same thing with my land camera.

I think the thing that saved me was that I was in a shady, indoor spot. I don't think they would have survived if I had been up on deck.

FD

wxboy911
09-24-2007, 19:58
Awsome pics-glad to see you were able to salvage most of what you shot.

jwdizney
09-24-2007, 20:03
Great pics!!:smiley20:

WV Diver
09-24-2007, 20:14
cool pics, thanks for sharing.